Vagrant 1.9.1 - No base MAC address was specified?

Joaquin Menchaca

Mar 3, 2017, 4:59:50 PM3/3/17
to Vagrant
Is this normal expected behavior?

vagrant init freebsd/FreeBSD-11.0-STABLE; vagrant up --provider virtualbox

No base MAC address was specified. This is required for the NAT networking
to work properly (and hence port forwarding, SSH, etc.). Specifying this
MAC address is typically up to the box and box maintainer. Please contact
the relevant person to solve this issue.

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Mar 3, 2017, 6:01:02 PM3/3/17
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
hello

the base box will be on ~/.vagrant.d/boxes

if check other boxes ie hashicorp/precise64 you will notice there is a vagrantfile included with each box.

See the the lines around the macaddr, and check if you can add/copy whats missed.

if you have no relation to freebsd/FreeBSD-11.0-STABLE maybe you can try other freebsd if available

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/95f5fdc9-90e0-4984-955d-3a43e21c8f6e%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro

Joaquin Menchaca

Mar 3, 2017, 6:22:05 PM3/3/17
to Vagrant
My only relation is that this is the "official", but out of the box, it does not seem to work.  I found this thread (https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/52717/), and was able to add these below, and everything magically works.  I am not sure why it needs specific hardware bits, default shell, mac address, etc.

   config.vm.guest = :freebsd
   config.vm.synced_folder ".", "/vagrant", id: "vagrant-root", disabled: true
   config.vm.box = "freebsd/FreeBSD-11.0-STABLE"
   config.ssh.shell = "sh"
   config.vm.base_mac = "080027D14C66"

   config.vm.provider :virtualbox do |vb|
     vb.customize ["modifyvm", :id, "--memory", "1024"]
     vb.customize ["modifyvm", :id, "--cpus", "1"]
     vb.customize ["modifyvm", :id, "--hwvirtex", "on"]
     vb.customize ["modifyvm", :id, "--audio", "none"]
     vb.customize ["modifyvm", :id, "--nictype1", "virtio"]
     vb.customize ["modifyvm", :id, "--nictype2", "virtio"]
   end

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 10:59 PM, Joaquin Menchaca <joaqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is this normal expected behavior?

vagrant init freebsd/FreeBSD-11.0-STABLE; vagrant up --provider virtualbox

No base MAC address was specified. This is required for the NAT networking
to work properly (and hence port forwarding, SSH, etc.). Specifying this
MAC address is typically up to the box and box maintainer. Please contact
the relevant person to solve this issue.

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode

Alvaro

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Mar 4, 2017, 9:52:36 AM3/4/17
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Try to reach the people who created that box and provide feedback

or just create your own box :)

anything you need, just let us know, and we will help

Alvaro

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/14fd4c21-1b1e-415e-a6f9-2cfb90a0a021%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro

Andrew Pennebaker

Sep 30, 2017, 3:42:01 PM9/30/17
to Vagrant
Thank you, Menchaca for posting the configuration required to get the FreeBSD box working!

On my host (Vagrant v2.0, macOS Sierra), FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE has a segfaulting pkg. So I'm working around that by using FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE instead.

--
Alvaro