Re: [vagrant-up] 'vagrant up' error: another VM with that name already exists

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Dec 5, 2017, 2:50:52 PM12/5/17
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
hello

do vagrant destroy

then open virtualbox and delete a vm if there

then go to virtual media manager, hdd and delete any disk that is there
then go to this directory:
C:\Users\snarl\VirtualBox VMs\

and delete whats there.

specially if there is this:
C:\Users\snarl\VirtualBox VMs\sites_3d45f90d3b8

Alvaro

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 7:46 PM, Carl Gross <cag...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello.  I am encountering an error with vagrant up:  "another VM with that name already exists" (see full text below).  How can I resolve this issue?  Here is some more information.

I am trying to setup Vagrant for the first time on this computer (Win 10, x64).  I recently carried out the installation steps, up through the initial vagrant up.  That step completed, but it could not write to the hosts file (due to a permissions issue), so I tried to start over from scratch.  I uninstalled Vagrant and Oracle VM from my computer.  But when I re-installed them and ran vagrant up again, I encountered this issue.

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but I noticed that even after I uninstall Vagrant and Oracle VM from my computer, several folders are still leftover:  VirtualBox VMs, .vagrant.d, and .VirtualBox.  Am I free to manually delete these folders and their files?

Here is the full output from vagrant up:

$ vagrant up
-f was unexpected at this time.
__   ___   ___   __
\ \ / \ \ / \ \ / / Varying Vagrant Vagrants
 \ V / \ V / \ V /  v2.2.0-
  \_/   \_/   \_/   ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Dashboard:  http://vvv.test

Bringing machine 'default' up with 'virtualbox' provider...
==> default: Importing base box 'ubuntu/trusty64'...
==> default: Matching MAC address for NAT networking...
==> default: Checking if box 'ubuntu/trusty64' is up to date...
==> default: Setting the name of the VM: sites_3d45f90d3b8
The name of your virtual machine couldn't be set because VirtualBox
is reporting another VM with that name already exists. Most of the
time, this is because of an error with VirtualBox not cleaning up
properly. To fix this, verify that no VMs with that name do exist
(by opening the VirtualBox GUI). If they don't, then look at the
folder in the error message from VirtualBox below and remove it
if there isn't any information you need in there.

VirtualBox error:

VBoxManage.exe: error: Could not rename the directory 'C:\Users\snarl\VirtualBox VMs\ubuntu-cloudimg-trusty-vagrant-amd64_1512498932320_30519' to 'C:\Users\snarl\VirtualBox VMs\sites_3d45f90d3b8' to save the settings file (VERR_ALREADY_EXISTS)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_FAIL (0x80004005), component SessionMachine, interface IMachine, callee IUnknown
VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: "SaveSettings()" at line 3093 of file VBoxManageModifyVM.cpp

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/448abf3d-d2fd-4dc4-989c-bc5ec7726021%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro