"vagrant up" has a long delay before proceeding when running behind a VPN w/proxy

William Saxton

Mar 24, 2017, 4:12:02 PM3/24/17
to Vagrant
When I connect into my company VPN (which lives behind a proxy) and do "vagrant up" on one of my VM's, there is a long delay (couple minutes) before the:

    Bringing machine 'example' up with 'virtualbox' provider...

appears.  I'm guessing vagrant tries to do something "networky" and eventually has to time out before proceeding.  Any idea what this could be?  I'm wondering if there is something I can configure in my Vagrantfile to stop this from happening.

Its just a slight nuisance.

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Mar 24, 2017, 11:01:00 PM3/24/17
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
hello

Ass this and check if helps:
 config.vm.box_check_update = false

if not, try to setup verbose logging

set VAGRANT_LOG=debug

or

export VAGRANT_LOG=debug

and do a Vagrant up on vpn

Thanks
Alvaro

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/bb4907db-8145-46d2-b44a-9c429649b075%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro

William Saxton

Mar 27, 2017, 1:20:08 PM3/27/17
to Vagrant
box_check_update was already set to false when this happened.

I ran vagrant up with debugging turned on, both with and without VPN.  The logs are identical so no new information there.

Here is the log.  I put ***HANGS HERE*** where the hang occurs :

DEBUG command: Finding machine that match name: build

 INFO loader: Set :root = ["#<Pathname:C:/work/projects/swr-puppet/control-repo-ssdc/Vagrantfile>"]

DEBUG loader: Populating proc cache for #<Pathname:C:/work/projects/swr-puppet/control-repo-ssdc/Vagrantfile>
DEBUG loader: Load procs for pathname: C:/work/projects/swr-puppet/control-repo-ssdc/Vagrantfile

 INFO loader: Loading configuration in order: [:home, :root]

DEBUG loader: Loading from: root (evaluating)

DEBUG loader: Configuration loaded successfully, finalizing and returning

DEBUG push: finalizing

 INFO loader: Set "36435876_machine_build" = ["[\"2\",
#<Proc:0x3271848@C:/work/projects/swr-puppet/control-repo-ssdc/Vagrantfile:138>]"]

DEBUG loader: Populating proc cache for ["2",
#<Proc:0x3271848@C:/work/projects/swr-puppet/control-repo-ssdc/Vagrantfile:138>]

 INFO loader: Loading configuration in order: [:home, :root, "36435876_machine_build"]

DEBUG loader: Loading from: root (cache)

DEBUG loader: Loading from: 36435876_machine_build (evaluating)

DEBUG loader: Configuration loaded successfully, finalizing and returning

DEBUG push: finalizing

***HANGS HERE***

 DEBUG base: Windows, checking for VBoxManage on PATH first

 INFO base: VBoxManage path: C:/Program Files/Oracle/VirtualBox/VBoxManage.exe

 INFO subprocess: Starting process: ["C:/Program Files/Oracle/VirtualBox/VBoxManage.exe", "--version"]

 INFO subprocess: Command not in installer, restoring original environment...

DEBUG subprocess: Selecting on IO

DEBUG subprocess: stdout: 5.1.10r112026

DEBUG subprocess: Waiting for process to exit. Remaining to timeout: 32000

DEBUG subprocess: Exit status: 0