Guest Additions with VirtualBox version 5.1.24 r117012

Rod Oliver

Jul 20, 2017, 4:35:33 AM7/20/17
to Vagrant
I am running VirtualBox version 5.1.24 r117012 having recently upgraded from 5.1.22. In each case I had the guest additions appropriate to the version of VirtualBox. I have a guest (Ubuntu) which whenever I boot it reports that the GuestAdditions versions on host and guest do not match. It reports that the host has version 5.1.24 and guest 5.1.18 however it proceeds to report that it is installing 5.1.18 rather than 5.1.24. The same happened with VirtualBox 5.1.22. Is this a normal situation?

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Jul 20, 2017, 8:04:57 AM7/20/17
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Hello

The virtualbox guest will tell you that as a warning.

probably you got a plugin named vagrant-vbplugin that does the install that is not core vagrant.

vagrant plugin list

Alvaro.

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 10:35 AM, Rod Oliver <rodo...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am running VirtualBox version 5.1.24 r117012 having recently upgraded from 5.1.22. In each case I had the guest additions appropriate to the version of VirtualBox. I have a guest (Ubuntu) which whenever I boot it reports that the GuestAdditions versions on host and guest do not match. It reports that the host has version 5.1.24 and guest 5.1.18 however it proceeds to report that it is installing 5.1.18 rather than 5.1.24. The same happened with VirtualBox 5.1.22. Is this a normal situation?

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/0f19edda-fe87-484e-b30a-c33bf73bf085%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro

Rod Oliver

Jul 25, 2017, 10:58:19 AM7/25/17
to Vagrant
Hi Alvaro,

Thanks for the reply. You are right that I have this plugin installed.

C:\Users\D069683\Documents\Projects\Vagrant_Machines\Ubuntu>vagrant plugin list
vagrant-proxyconf (1.5.2)
  - Version Constraint: > 0
vagrant-share (1.1.8)
  - Version Constraint: > 0
vagrant-vbguest (0.14.2)
  - Version Constraint: > 0

C:\Users\D069683\Documents\Projects\Vagrant_Machines\Ubuntu>

How should that affect that that version 5.1.18 rather than 5.1.24 of GuestAdditions is installed?

Rod

On Thursday, 20 July 2017 14:04:57 UTC+2, Alvaro Miranda Aguilera wrote:
[...]

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Jul 27, 2017, 12:54:14 AM7/27/17
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
the vbox additions are quite good in backwards compatibility

so I would just ignore that.

if bothers you the best is create a new box

let me know if you need help there

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/6a64cd18-d92f-4a41-83c6-dc683dca3aa0%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro

Rod Oliver

Aug 8, 2017, 7:29:29 AM8/8/17
to Vagrant
Thanks for your reply. Indeed I didn't notice any issues with an incorrect version of the additions. Creating a new box didn't make any difference to the error. However the recent upgrade of both Vagrant and VirtualBox 1.9.7 and 5.1.26 resolved the issue, at least made it go away.

Cheers

Rod

--
Alvaro