How to completely remove VVV files from my computer?

Carl Gross

Oct 12, 2016, 1:33:46 PM10/12/16
to Vagrant
Hi all.  Novice here.  I'm trying to install VVV for the first time.  The installation completed, but with prohibitive errors.  Before I fix them, I want to first completely uninstall VVV from my system (Win 10, x64).  To do so, I ran these commands:
  • vagrant destroy
  • vagrant box remove hashicorp/precise64
  • vagrant box remove precise64
  • vagrant box remove ubuntu/trusty64
All completed without issue, but the WordPress files still remain on my local machine.  Is it sufficient to delete the VVV folder that Git created in Windows during setup?  If not, how should I properly remove them?

And for the future, is this the correct method of uninstalling VVV?  Or did I miss a step/do something wrong?  The vagrant destroy line I ran above seems a little fishy--perhaps I was mean to run vagrant destroy for each machine?

Thanks in advance.

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Oct 13, 2016, 4:54:39 AM10/13/16
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
hello

in a directory where is a Vagrantfile, the commands up/run/destroy will apply to all the boxes defined in that file.

so vagrant destroy is ok

to be sure you can run   vagrant status

or

vagrant global-status

For the boxes the files go to [HOME]/.vagrant.d/boxes/

So you could delete whats there too if you want to keep your setup to a minimum

being [HOME] the home directory.. if windows, probably /Users/<name_of_the_user>

Thanks
Alvaro.

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/25c7ab58-475c-4853-874e-060bfdd5a6de%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro

Carl Gross

Oct 13, 2016, 5:09:58 AM10/13/16
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this.

>> the commands up/run/destroy will apply to all the boxes defined in that file.

>> so vagrant destroy is ok

To be clear, are you saying that if I run vagrant destroy while in the same directory as my boxes, then all the boxes will be removed, and all files pertaining to those boxes will be deleted?  Or do I always have to manually delete the files myself?

What does vagrant status/vagrant global-status do?

Thanks,

Carl

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Vagrant" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/CAHqq0eyTgrcNYPNw%3DRjALpF8Kgsi3Yrz4MvjT%2B8ethePK_oChg%40mail.gmail.com.

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Oct 13, 2016, 8:04:56 AM10/13/16
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
vagrant destroy will delete the VM from virtualbox.

Any file created in the host need to be delete separately.

vagrant status shows the VMs defined in the current Vagrantfile. will show if created or not (stopped or running if present)

vagrant global-status will show all the VMs that vagrant is aware of

VBoxMana list vms will show all the VMs that exist on virtualbox, the same if you open VirtualBox and check the gui.

Alvaro.

Alvaro

Carl Gross

Oct 13, 2016, 8:34:07 AM10/13/16
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Great, thanks so much for that.  You answer my question, especially with this line, "Any file created in the host need to be delete separately."

--Carl