Windows 2012 R2

Rock Ade

Feb 21, 2020, 1:01:10 AM2/21/20
to Vagrant
Does Vagrant work on Windows 2012 R2, I am having no end of problems, just cant get the basic VM working. nothing is working, the documentation is rubbish as well, so many bugs. I disabled hyperv and now trying Virtual box and still not even able to get the base vm work, it doesnt even download the VM to the directory. WTF>> seriously, rubbish software.

Window Server 2012 R2 Version 6.3 (Build 9600) - All windoiws updates installed
Installed Version: 2.2.7
Latest Version: 2.2.7
Hyper-V Manager Microsoft Corporation Version: 6.3.9600.16384

Jeff Bonhag

Feb 21, 2020, 12:30:15 PM2/21/20
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

When you add a box with `vagrant box add`, the box will get copied Vagrant's home directory, which defaults to `~/.vagrant.d`. However, this will not create any new virtual machines.

In order to run a virtual machine with Vagrant, you need to create a Vagrantfile somewhere on your machine. The Vagrantfile contains configuration for the virtual machine including which box it should use.

One way to get started using Vagrant would be to run the following commands in an empty directory:

    vagrant init hashicorp/bionic64
    vagrant up

Vagrant usually can detect the best hypervisor to use, but you can also specify a provider on the command line using the `--provider` flag:

    vagrant up --provider=virtualbox

For more information about how boxes are managed, please have a look at the following documentation:

    https://www.vagrantup.com/intro/getting-started/boxes.html

Finally, I'd like to remind you of the HashiCorp community guidelines which this project, as well as all HashiCorp projects, follow. While I understand that the specific problem you are encountering may be frustrating for you, being disrespectful to the developers who are attempting to help you is not acceptable. These guidelines are available at the following link:

    https://www.hashicorp.com/community-guidelines.html

Regards,
Jeff

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/82ea186f-9830-4c91-afec-0c23c729c2ce%40googlegroups.com.

Rock Ade

Feb 23, 2020, 4:23:36 AM2/23/20
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
If i create two Virtual Switches called External and Internal on Hyper-V I can the following errors, any solutions?

    default:
    default: 1) External
    default: 2) Internal
    default:
    default: What switch would you like to use? 1
    default: Configuring the VM...
An error occurred while executing a PowerShell script. This error
is shown below. Please read the error message and see if this is
a configuration error with your system. If it is not, then please
report a bug.

Script: configure_vm.ps1
Error:

JP Toto

Feb 24, 2020, 12:10:00 PM2/24/20
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Rock,

Can you see the actual error that Powershell is throwing? More than likely you're running into a privilege escalation issue. You can elevate your PowerShell scripts by passing the proper options:

something.vm.provision "shell", privileged: "true", powershell_elevated_interactive: "true", path: "yourscript.ps1"

--
JP Toto   |   james....@gmail.com   |   http://jptoto.jp   |   @jptoto

Rock Ade

Feb 24, 2020, 10:46:14 PM2/24/20
to Vagrant
Hi All

Here is the Debug output, does vagrant work on Hyper-v on Windows 2012 R2?

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode

JP Toto   |   james...@gmail.com   |   http://jptoto.jp   |   @jptoto

Rock Ade

Feb 24, 2020, 11:00:25 PM2/24/20
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Os it seems like vagrant is not compatible with Windows 2012 R2 Hyper as Vagrant requires Nested Virtualization and thats only available in Windows Server 2016 -  https://github.com/hashicorp/vagrant/issues/11409

Is there a work around for this?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/43d49bbe-9c48-41ca-be5c-e322456dbef0%40googlegroups.com.

JP Toto

Feb 26, 2020, 10:48:53 AM2/26/20
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Rock,

You may have trouble getting this to work on Windows Server 2012. Vagrant will work better on a more modern version of Windows and especially on desktop / Windows 10 although I don't see why it wouldn't work on Windows Server 2016 or 2019. I don't think I've heard of anyone running it on Windows 2012 as a desktop OS.