Private IP Assigned to Wrong NIC

Jamie Jackson

Mar 8, 2018, 12:41:49 PM3/8/18
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
I'm having big problems with Vagrant lately:

  • My private network's IP gets properly assigned (to eth1) on the first vagrant up
  • On the first vagrant reload, the IP is inappropriately assigned to eth0 (the regular NAT network nic), and the IP now shows on both eth0 and eth1
  • On third vagrant reload, eth1 is disabled

Upon the third vagrant reload, my project is trashed because I can't use the private network anymore. My project has a rather long initial vagrant up so it is very painful for my team to have to destroy frequently.

I see lots of networking issues reported on GitHub, so I don't have much hope that this one will get fixed anytime soon, so I'm looking for any workarounds you might have.

Thanks,
Jamie

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Mar 8, 2018, 1:03:27 PM3/8/18
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
not sure if the same

please open a new issue, include a repro case and instructions how to repro

please @kikitux so i can get the notification to look into

if happens to you and more people, should happen to us

if you are ok, i would like to the delete the comment in that issue in 9510 since we will handle it in a new one, with a repro case

thanks

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/CA%2BonWPf5SUJ_AM0LS2wQv__%2B5W29uzHV_%3Die%2BqKrW-0WeKGiuQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Alvaro

Jamie Jackson

Mar 8, 2018, 4:59:14 PM3/8/18
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
I've copied the contents to https://github.com/hashicorp/vagrant/issues/9546, so go ahead and delete my comments. I'll try to get a repro case together.

Jamie Jackson

Mar 12, 2018, 9:44:33 AM3/12/18
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
FYI, I added a repro case to the ticket (https://github.com/hashicorp/vagrant/issues/9546). Downgrading to Vagrant 1.8.x is the only workaround I know of, so please let me know if you can think of any workaround that could keep me on a more current version.

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Mar 13, 2018, 3:58:48 AM3/13/18
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Maybe its a bug in the vagrant-docker-compose plugin ?

It seems to me you have isolated from where the problem is coming from..

Alvaro

Jamie Jackson

Mar 13, 2018, 6:51:45 AM3/13/18
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
I went into more detail in the other thread, but the docker compose provisioner just uses docker compose to run docker commands, so I suspect it's demonstrating a vagrant edge case (sometimes-faulty identification of the private network's interface).

Alvaro

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode

Alvaro