Could not locate Gemfile or .bundle/ directory

Ian Robert Douglas

Feb 23, 2018, 3:47:45 AM2/23/18
to Vagrant
Spent the last day trying to solve this, but I keep hitting a brick wall.

I upgraded to Vagrant 2.0.2.

OSX 10.13.4 Beta.

Virtualbox 5.2.6 r120293 (Qt5.6.3)

I have Vagrant installed in the standard way. And a number of projects in individual folders in my User directory. I was trying to set up a new project and I ran into this:

Vagrant failed to initialize at a very early stage:
The plugins failed to load properly. The error message given is
shown below.
Could not locate Gemfile or .bundle/ directory

I have tried vagrant plugin repair

I have tried vagrant plugin expunge --reinstall

These are the plugins I have:

bundler (1.16.1)
hostupdater (1.0.0)
vagrant-gatling-rsync (0.9.0)
vagrant-plugin-bundler (0.1.1)
vagrant-share (1.1.9, system)
vagrant-triggers (0.5.3)
vagrant-vbguest (0.15.1)

When I try vagrant up in my project, I get the error above.

I tried uninstalling Vagrant from command line and reinstalling. No difference.

I tried downgrading to Vagrant 2.0.1. No difference.

I updated Command Line Tools for Xcode, even though I never use any of that.

Basically, I have no clue why I cannot get Vagrant to work at all.

I searched the web and read everything I could on "Could not locate Gemfile or .bundle/ directory". I'm not finding anything that helps.

So I come back here.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

best,
ian

Ian Robert Douglas

Feb 23, 2018, 5:47:54 PM2/23/18
to Vagrant
Further to my issue (in case it helps anyone to see what is going on here):

I ran this command:

mv ~/.vagrant.d ~/.vagrant.d.backup

This allowed vagrant up to work

But the most critical plugin I use is hostupdater, and I guess the command above wiped it out.

I reinstalled hostupdater only.

I ran vagrant reload, and it works more or less as expected.

But hostupdater is not being loaded, and if I run bundle show I still get the following, everywhere:

Could not locate Gemfile or .bundle/ directory

So, essentially, plugins are broken on my system.

My project (a Wordpress install) is accessible via its IP, but not via a custom hostname (i.e., project1.test)

My hosts file is not being updated, obviously.

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Feb 24, 2018, 6:01:56 AM2/24/18
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Hello

not sure how you install vagrant or plugins

vagrant is binary distribution, so confirm you download from our webpage

for plugins, use

vagrant plugin install <name of the plugin>

the plugin usually have vagrant- as prefix

ie

vagrant plugin install vagrant-myawesomeplugin

Thanks
Alvaro.

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/525d5a51-a3f4-44f9-a3f8-0afbf6127ade%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro

Ian Robert Douglas

Feb 24, 2018, 7:48:15 AM2/24/18
to Vagrant
Yes. Confirming this is how I install Vagrant, and also add plugins.

I've used Vagrant for a few years, though not everyday as I do less web development these days than earlier.

I was working on an install last month without any issues.

But it's hard for me to know what went wrong and when.

I don't know if this helps, but I tried installing Bindler, instead of Vagrant PluginBundler Plugin, and on vagrant up I got this:

/Users/Decline/.vagrant.d/gems/2.4.3/gems/bindler-0.1.4/lib/bindler/bend_vagrant.rb:18:in `hook': wrong number of arguments (given 2, expected 1) (ArgumentError)
from /opt/vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/lib/vagrant/environment.rb:162:in `initialize'
from /opt/vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/bin/vagrant:131:in `new'
from /opt/vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/bin/vagrant:131:in `<main>'

So I uninstalled it and vagrant up works.

So far as I can see, no vagrant plugins work for me at present.

But I don't know why.

Alvaro

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Feb 24, 2018, 8:16:18 AM2/24/18
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
well

vagrant moved from 1.X to 2.X and i am not sure what plugin works etc

you can stick with 1.9.x if you rely on some plugins that doesn't work on 2.0

just want to be sure that you are aware of those are community plugins

Ian Robert Douglas

Feb 24, 2018, 10:19:00 AM2/24/18
to Vagrant
Thank you for responding, Alvaro.

I just downgraded to Vagrant 1.9.8

This necessitated a downgrade of Virtualbox and its extensions pack, also, to v.5.1.32

But now, so far so good. At least hostsupdater appears to be working.

On bundle show, anywhere, I still get:

Could not locate Gemfile or .bundle/ directory

But now I'm not even sure if that's important or not.

Not sure what to conclude from all this.

But thanks again,
ian

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Feb 24, 2018, 6:58:11 PM2/24/18
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
not sure from where that bundle thing is coming from

if during/after the plugin configuration then not sure what can be missed

the more info you can share the better

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/a721e1f5-05b1-405c-bcd9-2bed4e0a1ee9%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro

Ian Robert Douglas

Feb 24, 2018, 7:49:27 PM2/24/18
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
To be honest, Alvaro, I’m not well-versed enough to be able to debug it.

I only found out about this by googling the errors I was getting.

There’s very little updated information online. I was having to cobble together clues from people’s experience even with other development frameworks.

If there’s any command that you think might produce an output of interest I can run it.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/CAHqq0ez2zkRAE%3D0cYjSjGfJ%2BWjmf8PZOsKiO7oX3TZ_MtTqNTg%40mail.gmail.com.