Can (and how) additional OS rpms be added to generic/centos7 or generic/rhel7 Vagrant boxes ?

BDutta

Mar 14, 2020, 4:39:36 PM3/14/20
to Vagrant
Hi,

Absolute Vagrant newbie here.

Are the generic/centos7 or generic/rhel7 Vagrant boxes, extensible or upgradable such that additional operating system rpms could be installed ?
I am assuming that those boxes might be setup using the minimal image? What if I need some of the rpms that are available as part of standard RHEL7/CentOS7 distribution, but not on the box ?

cheers,

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Mar 15, 2020, 7:03:06 PM3/15/20
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
hello

in general:

you can run scripts and install the software you need.

if the process is too slow, you can build your own boxes ready to use.

Alvaro

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/6fd3fac4-75e0-4c20-b064-a1d053ee439d%40googlegroups.com.

--
Alvaro

BDutta

Mar 16, 2020, 9:44:33 AM3/16/20
to Vagrant
Thanks for the response.

It there a way to know if the generic/centos7 box is built using CentOS7 'minimal' image or 'full image' ?
Is there some box specific metadata that is available or a way to check for this information with the box publisher ?

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 9:39 PM BDutta <banibra...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Absolute Vagrant newbie here.

Are the generic/centos7 or generic/rhel7 Vagrant boxes, extensible or upgradable such that additional operating system rpms could be installed ?
I am assuming that those boxes might be setup using the minimal image? What if I need some of the rpms that are available as part of standard RHEL7/CentOS7 distribution, but not on the box ?

cheers,

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode

Alvaro

Jeff Bonhag

Mar 16, 2020, 10:37:38 AM3/16/20
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

The generic boxes are maintained by https://roboxes.org/ (see https://app.vagrantup.com/generic). That organization maintains a set of Packer templates for each provider. For example, here is their builder for VirtualBox/CentOS 7:

https://github.com/lavabit/robox/blob/master/generic-virtualbox.json#L1781

Cheers,
Jeff

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/81090976-932e-49ec-adb6-1926051e043e%40googlegroups.com.

BDutta

Mar 16, 2020, 3:59:01 PM3/16/20
to Vagrant

On Monday, March 16, 2020 at 8:07:38 PM UTC+5:30, Jeff Bonhag wrote:
Hi there,

The generic boxes are maintained by https://roboxes.org/ (see https://app.vagrantup.com/generic). That organization maintains a set of Packer templates for each provider. For example, here is their builder for VirtualBox/CentOS 7:

https://github.com/lavabit/robox/blob/master/generic-virtualbox.json#L1781

Perfect. Just the bit of information I needed. It is indeed based on CentOS7 Minimal ISO, as I could see.
Thanks.

Cheers,
Jeff

BDutta

Mar 16, 2020, 4:07:58 PM3/16/20
to Vagrant
On Tuesday, March 17, 2020 at 1:29:01 AM UTC+5:30, BDutta wrote:

On Monday, March 16, 2020 at 8:07:38 PM UTC+5:30, Jeff Bonhag wrote:
Hi there,

The generic boxes are maintained by https://roboxes.org/ (see https://app.vagrantup.com/generic). That organization maintains a set of Packer templates for each provider. For example, here is their builder for VirtualBox/CentOS 7:

https://github.com/lavabit/robox/blob/master/generic-virtualbox.json#L1781

Perfect. Just the bit of information I needed. It is indeed based on CentOS7 Minimal ISO, as I could see.
Thanks.

Wrote too soon. I noticed that the box is using a rather old Guest Additions iso, from the 5.x line:
where-as my VirtualBox is from the 6.x line.

In my vagrant ssh console, here is what I see:
[vagrant@centos7 yum.repos.d]$ lsmod | grep vboxguest
vboxguest
311499  2 vboxsf

and also,
[vagrant@centos7 yum.repos.d]$ sudo /usr/sbin/VBoxService --version
5.2.34r133893

Does it mean that the guest additions from Virtualbox 5.x are working well with Virtualbox 6.x ? Seems unlikely based on what I recollect about virtualbox guest additions.

In anycase, I think this question is perhaps more appropriate for Virtualbox forums, but would be happy to find answer here as well, especially in vagrant box context.

Jeff Bonhag

Mar 17, 2020, 5:32:48 PM3/17/20
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I think the answer is "it depends." :) In most cases it's fine, but there may be issues when the versions don't match (such as with shared folders).

I can offer a couple of suggestions in the context of Vagrant:

- Using a Vagrant box that includes the latest guest additions (such as bento/centos-7)
- Using the vagrant-vbguest plugin (https://github.com/dotless-de/vagrant-vbguest) to update the guest additions on your VM automatically

Cheers,
Jeff

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode