stdin is not a tty

Clinton Gallagher

Nov 2, 2017, 10:09:27 PM11/2/17
to Vagrant
x64 Windows 10 Pro
VirtualBox v5.1.30
Vagrant v2.0.0

Vagrant is FUBAR
Apparently I made the mistake of updating ubuntu/trusty64 that is pushing Vagrant around like a bully.

Now Vagrant will not halt or delete or much of anything else as there is some conflict with stdin is not a tty
I've scowered the www and there are scant solutions. One of which is already written into the Vagrant file which I have no idea how it got there but it does not prevent stdin is not a tty either.

I know its not a Vagrant error but there should be a reliable way to resolve this matter and IMO it should come from Hashicorp as they and they alone know Vagrant inside and out and how Vagrant interacts with boxes such as ubuntu/trusty64.

That said if Hashicorp continues to ignore this matter then what?

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Nov 3, 2017, 5:30:58 AM11/3/17
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
hello

can you explain better what the issue is, what should be happening, and what is not working.

more you can share the better, you can copy paste logs snips to share what you see, you can put a github repo so anyone can vagrant up and have the same environment, etc.

stdin is not a tty is a message that came from ubuntu settings, can be disabled on the base box.

you can remove the message with something like this:

But the message it self is not an error.

Alvaro

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/2f6f117b-da46-4550-8e1d-661b7bbd007d%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro

Clinton Gallagher

Nov 3, 2017, 12:36:21 PM11/3/17
to Vagrant
// None of the Vagrant scripts will run: `vagrant up`, `vagrant halt`, `vagrant suspend`, and `vagrant destroy`
// nothing runs they all get stopped with the following output error message

$ vagrant destroy
==> default: Running triggers before destroy...
==> default: Executing command "vagrant ssh -c vagrant_destroy"...
==> default: stdin is not a tty
==> default: Command execution finished.
The local command "vagrant ssh -c 'vagrant_destroy'" returned a failed exit
code or an exception. The error output is shown below:

stdin is not a tty

// I wrote the # comments when I found the following config.vm.provision statement in the Vagrant file:

  # CSG 2017-11-1
  # This was here before finding and reading the same at
  # http://foo-o-rama.com/vagrant--stdin-is-not-a-tty--fix.html
  # but this alleged fix to the "stdin is not a tty" message does not resolve the issue
  config.vm.provision "fix-no-tty", type: "shell" do |s|
    s.privileged = false
    s.inline = "sudo sed -i '/tty/!s/mesg n/tty -s \\&\\& mesg n/' /root/.profile"
  end

// Does that config.vm.provision statement go somewhere special in the Vagrant file?
// How else can this be disabled on the ubuntu/trusty64 box?

// All up to date
$  vagrant plugin list
vagrant-hostupdater (1.0.2)
vagrant-share (1.1.9, system)
vagrant-triggers (0.5.3)

// I have VM log files but they are lengthy and impossible for me to interpret

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Nov 3, 2017, 2:21:18 PM11/3/17
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
seems vagrant trigger is trying to do something in the box and thats failing

If you want to delete the box, you can use the virtualbox gui, delete it

then vagrant destroy should just update the state.

alvaro

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode

Alvaro

Clinton Gallagher

Nov 3, 2017, 5:18:22 PM11/3/17
to Vagrant
I deleted the box from the VM GUI and then ran vagrant destroy that did nothing.
I used a vagrant up command which rebuilt the box with a new instance of a box..
When I used vagrant up my WordPress website will load from the browser on the Windows desktop. I'm even able to login which is very insightful as the db connection to the old db remained.

Apparently Vagrant made a backup it used to make a new instance of a VM box that allows WordPress to reconnect to the db. I can also see the db with PhpMyAdmin

The stdin is not a tty is still present though.

When I run vagrant global-status I see a new ID for the box so I run vagrant halt 597e485 and the VM is still running so the excercise seems to have been futile.

$ vagrant halt 597e485
==> default: Running triggers before halt...
==> default: Executing command "vagrant ssh -c vagrant_halt"...

==> default: stdin is not a tty
==> default: Command execution finished.
The local command "vagrant ssh -c 'vagrant_halt'" returned a failed exit

code or an exception. The error output is shown below:

stdin is not a tty

Is there not a way to go directly into Ubuntu and hack it so it doesn't want to believe stdin is controlled by a tty?

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Nov 4, 2017, 9:08:59 AM11/4/17
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
yes with the command i gave you before you can remove that line.

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode

Alvaro

Robert Lilly

Nov 4, 2017, 2:32:42 PM11/4/17
to Vagrant
You wrote: "Apparently Vagrant made a backup it used to make a new instance of a VM box that allows WordPress to reconnect to the db. I can also see the db with PhpMyAdmin"

Are you using generic Vagrant or are you using VVV (Varying Vagrant Vagrants}? VVV works on top of Vagrant and provides an environment for WordPress development. If you're using VVV it's important to distinguish between Vagrant issues and VVV issues. If you're not using VVV, or any other tool on top of Vagrant, please disregard this comment.

Clinton Gallagher

Nov 4, 2017, 10:28:30 PM11/4/17
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
My apology for failing to mention my use of VVV with Vagrant. I do not
see how it matters though as what I have discovered on the WWW
indicates the stdin output error is coming from ubuntu/trusty64 box in
particular.
> Google Groups "Vagrant" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/vagrant-up/N_1c4VDqG3Q/unsubscribe.