Who creates the "generic" Vagrant boxes?

Lucas Rangit Magasweran

Nov 2, 2017, 8:00:42 PM11/2/17
to Vagrant
Who produces the https://app.vagrantup.com/generic boxes? Where can I find information about what have changed between releases?

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Nov 3, 2017, 5:35:50 AM11/3/17
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Hello

If there is no email/contact information in the page of the org or in each box then I am afraid there no a way to contact them.

The same goes for a pseudo changelog, if there is no info on changes.

Alvaro.

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 1:00 AM, Lucas Rangit Magasweran <external+grou...@magasweran.com> wrote:
Who produces the https://app.vagrantup.com/generic boxes? Where can I find information about what have changed between releases?

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/7a46e75d-9659-4433-a08e-32c73828e027%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro

Lucas Rangit Magasweran

andr...@gmail.com

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Nov 6, 2017, 3:58:56 AM11/6/17
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Hello

hashicorp provides the storage.

Create users and store public boxes is free.

However is upto each person to share contact details or put some sort of changelog, is not something hashicorp does.

Same goes to Q/A for boxes, HashiCorp doesn't Q/A any box.

For this reason, there is also the tool packer.io that can be used to create boxes.

Alvaro.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/eda287c6-93ba-4892-bdd8-4d80ae0b644b%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro

Thiago Hickmann

Mar 6, 2018, 9:47:02 AM3/6/18
to Vagrant
I think this is a very relevant question.
I was planning to "vagrant up" a Alpine based VM, and this "generic" user account is the only with boxes of the OS.

All boxes are being kept updated, and looks like someone took the effort to automate the build process somehow.
So why not be more transparent about WHO keeps this user running?
It's somewhat suspicious.

I think Hashicorp should rethink their polices about the minimum required information in the VagrantCloud profiles.
Nowadays looks like is essentially zero.

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Mar 6, 2018, 11:14:17 AM3/6/18
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
someone created an organization named generic

like anyone could create an org called "official" is just a name

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode

Alvaro

Robert Lilly

Mar 7, 2018, 12:42:39 PM3/7/18
to Vagrant
I would rather be safe than sorry when it comes to using boxes from sources I don't know and trust.  If I don't know the author and they haven't published a link to a public Git repo I pass and keep looking.

That being said, I do wish HashiCorp would establish stricter standards for making boxes publicly available through their service. At the very least I'd like to see valid contact info for the author and ideally a link to a public Git repo for the source.

On Thursday, November 2, 2017 at 10:00:42 PM UTC-2, Lucas Rangit Magasweran wrote:
Who produces the https://app.vagrantup.com/generic boxes? Where can I find information about what have changed between releases?

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode

Alvaro

ran....@icloud.com

Apr 3, 2019, 1:40:54 AM4/3/19
to Vagrant
 They are..."Base boxes built by benevolent robots;" but the project is maintained by Ladar Levison as Roboxes (as mentioned on the "Generic" Vagrant organization page). You can find the GitHub repo under Lavabit @ lavabit/robox.

andr...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2019, 2:17:08 AM4/3/19
to Vagrant
Good, they added that link. It did not use to be there.

vupgrp

Apr 4, 2019, 8:47:14 PM4/4/19
to Vagrant