Need help with installing SqlServer during provision

Edward Evans

Sep 15, 2016, 2:26:04 PM9/15/16
to Vagrant
I'm on Windows 10 and using Hyper-V on one machine and VirtualBox on another and I'm trying to setup SqlServer during provisioning.  I'm installing Developer edition so I can't use the methods to install Express edition.

I tried just putting the files from the ISO in a Sql2014 folder and map with SMB and that started ok, but it fails when trying to find .msi files in sub-folders to Sql2014 like in redist folder.

So, if I manually mount the ISO file in the DVD drive and run it, it works great but I need a way to mount the ISO, do the install in provision, and then dismount the ISO file.

Any help appreciated.

Ed

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Sep 15, 2016, 5:57:42 PM9/15/16
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
hi.

windows allow to mount the iso file, so you could explore that, to get a method that will work in both providers

or you can just zip the required files and upload/download them an use them then delete ?

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/e7a7b597-77c4-4325-9d0f-bb31bcf1ee1d%40googlegroups.com.

Edward Evans

Sep 16, 2016, 6:20:36 PM9/16/16
to Vagrant
I tried the zip method and that worked great...thanks so much!  I now have the machine getting added to the domain, installing Sql Server, attaching a database and adding all users and security.  Awesome stuff.

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Sep 16, 2016, 7:15:22 PM9/16/16
to Vagrant
Hi there

cool stuff.

Now the next step usually is measure that Vagrant up time, and see how much of that can be done in the base box.

When you identify those steps, and you separate the provisioning, then you can:

a - vagrant up upto the first step, vagrant package
     vagrant up 2nd step and measure this time.

vagrant + virtualbox allow you package a vm, but not others

b. use packer to create a VM, or update an existing one upto the point where the first provisioning part happen.

For Virtualbox and vmware you can start on an existing VM, so you can have like a bake factory.

No need to over optimize what you got, just sharing what feels the natural path when those vagrant up start feeling slow
:)

Alvaro