vagrant up stuck waiting for machine to boot unless VMware Workstation GUI console is open

Lucas Rangit Magasweran

Jan 2, 2018, 2:48:28 PM1/2/18
to Vagrant
Consistently, Vagrant boxes are stuck waiting for machine to boot until I open the VMware Workstation GUI and leave it open. I'm using VMware Workstation 12.5.7 on Ubuntu Linux 16.04 64-bit with Vagrant 2.0.0 and provider plugin vagrant-vmware-workstation 5.0.1.

This error is reproducible if I close the GUI and try to halt and up the Vagrant box again.

Bringing machine 'default' up with 'vmware_workstation' provider...
==> default: Checking if box 'bento/ubuntu-16.04' is up to date...
==> default: Verifying vmnet devices are healthy...
==> default: Preparing network adapters...
WARNING
: The VMX file for this box contains a setting that is automatically overwritten by Vagrant
WARNING
: when started. Vagrant will stop overwriting this setting in an upcoming release which may
WARNING
: prevent proper networking setup. Below is the detected VMX setting:
WARNING
:
WARNING
:   ethernet0.pcislotnumber = "33"
WARNING
:
WARNING
: If networking fails to properly configure, it may require this VMX setting. It can be manually
WARNING
: applied via the Vagrantfile:
WARNING
:
WARNING
:   Vagrant.configure(2) do |config|
WARNING
:     config.vm.provider :vmare_workstation do |vmware|
WARNING
:       vmware.vmx["ethernet0.pcislotnumber"] = "33"
WARNING
:     end
WARNING
:   end
WARNING
:
WARNING
: For more information: https://www.vagrantup.com/docs/vmware/boxes.html#vmx-whitelisting
==> default: Fixed port collision for 22 => 2222. Now on port 2200.
==> default: Starting the VMware VM...
==> default: Waiting for the VM to receive an address...
==> default: Forwarding ports...

default: -- 22 => 2200
==> default: Waiting for machine to boot. This may take a few minutes...

Stuck here waiting until I open VMware Workstation GUI console. The following is the output after opening the GUI.

    default: SSH address: 127.0.0.1:2200

default: SSH username: vagrant

default: SSH auth method: private key
==> default: Machine booted and ready!
==> default: Configuring network adapters within the VM...
==> default: Waiting for HGFS to become available...
==> default: Enabling and configuring shared folders...

default: -- /home/user/code: /vagrant
    default: -- /
home/user/Downloads: /vagrant_data
==> default: Machine already provisioned. Run `vagrant provision` or use the `--provision`
==> default: flag to force provisioning. Provisioners marked to run always will still run.

Mark Fletcher

Jan 18, 2018, 4:08:48 PM1/18/18
to Vagrant
I can confirm that I can replicate this on my machine.

Setup
Host OS: fedora 27 workstation
Vagrant Version: vagrant 2.0.1
Vagrant Plugin List: vagrant-share 1.1.9, vagrant-vmware-workstation 5.0.4
VMWare Workstation: 14.1.1 build 7528167
Boxes used: bento/ubuntu-16.04, puppetlabs/ubuntu-16.04-64-nocm

Mark Fletcher

Jan 30, 2018, 10:51:13 AM1/30/18
to Vagrant
Confirming this issue is still present in Vagrant 2.0.2