Vagrant does not come "up"

Deacon Blues

Oct 23, 2017, 5:18:12 PM10/23/17
to Vagrant
Here's the problem:

I have recently upgraded my vagrant version and fiddled with some other stuff, and now vagrant is broken. If I do vagrant up, it gives me one line of output:

   Bringing machine 'default' up with 'virtualbox' provider...

but hangs after this and does nothing else, no matter how long I wait.

Here's a brief history of my situation:

I am on Gentoo. I had been using v 1.9.5 for a long time, successfully, with virtualbox as the back end. I am now at 1.9.8, although I have also tried 2.0.0 (from Portage, the pkg mgr), and their behavior is the same. Vbox seems to be installed and working fine. I have an unrelated Win7 VM in Vbox, and that boots and runs fine (although I keep it turned off when trying to use vagrant).

If I mkdir foo, and then cd foo; vagrant init; vagrant up; the result is what I describe above. That one line, then it hangs. It does the same thing in my dev directory where I had been happily going along for many months with 1.9.5. I tried replacing the Vagrantfile in that dev directory last week... thinking the V-file format might have changed a bit. So I did a new vagrant init, and then copied the operative details from my old V-file into the new one that 1.9.8 (or 2.0.0?) created. No go.

No matter what I do, I get that one line, as above, and then hang forever.
Please help me figure out how to get beyond this!

Dave

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Oct 24, 2017, 11:37:16 AM10/24/17
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
share the generated Vagrantfile

the command for init should be

vagrant init -m hashicorp/precise64 or any valid box name in Vagrant Cloud

Alvaro

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/1717fe1c-40f5-4436-a175-ffb4d6c91ebd%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro

Deacon Blues

Oct 25, 2017, 8:28:22 PM10/25/17
to Vagrant
Thanks for the reply. After fiddling some more and doing ONE more reinstall of 2.0.0 from Gentoo's Portage, suddenly it started working. No evidence of why, just magic. So we can consider this case closed.