Improving/speed up Deployment with Vagrant and Virtualbox

alessandro meyer

Sep 21, 2016, 6:50:05 AM9/21/16
to Vagrant
Hey there

I reach out looking for opinions on options we might have overlooked.

We've been using vagrant to power up virtual machines in our local developers CI-environment consisting of 3 machines. So far so good, things work fine but with one major caveat, performance (time it is taking).

Our build and startup procedure consist of the following steps:

- Building our source and packaging it
- Build a template machine with that package in
- vagrant package that template
- unpack the package yet again and build the first node
- start node 2-3 as linked clones

The main problem here is the packaging and the instant repackaging is tedious and not really helping with anything. Is there a simple way to use the built template as the base image without boxing it first? I know i could use virtualbox's direct abstraction right away, but i generally like Vagrants abstraction more as we used it for everything else.

So thoughts ideas?

Thanks
Alessandro

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Sep 21, 2016, 9:59:24 AM9/21/16
to vagra...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 12:50 PM, alessandro meyer <alessand...@gmail.com> wrote:
- Building our source and packaging it
- Build a template machine with that package in
- vagrant package that template
- unpack the package yet again and build the first node
- start node 2-3 as linked clones

Whats the guest OS that you are using?

alessandro meyer

Sep 21, 2016, 11:00:25 AM9/21/16