How To Access Local Email on Linux Guest From Windows Host

peter....@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2017, 7:29:55 PM6/20/17
to Vagrant
Hi,

I'm using VB running a LAMP stack (setup via Vagrant) for local web development.

Host: Windows 8.1 x64
Guest: Ubuntu 16.04, with Exim4

One of the things in web dev is to troubleshoot emails (e.g. sending the user his registration email etc) and I'm trying to find a way to access the local PHP emails that are hitting the Linux guest, via the Windows host machine.

The emails on the Linux guest are all being sent to a local account (e.g. vagrant@localhost). I do NOT want to send them over SMTP and internet to a Gmail account, to then fetch them via internet on the host machine. I want this to stay a local affair, not depending on an internet connection. This is all for local testing only.

So preferably I would like to access the local email on the Linux guest machine via an email client (Outlook etc) from the Windows host machine.

How can I achieve that ?

I have Exim4 running on the guest, and I have a local mail server running on Windows (which handled all of this form me when I was doing local web dev in WAMP, without VB). I forwarded port 25 from guest to 25 host, hoping Exim4 on the guest would forward/share the incoming emails to the host mail server. Once the host mail server on Windows has them I can fetch them via Outlook (that was my workflow when working exclusively on Windows in WAMP, without VB).

Is it possible to forward/share emails on the guest to a host machine (without going through internet) ?

Thanks !!!

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Jun 21, 2017, 2:40:16 AM6/21/17
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
hello

not a vagrant question, but I would try to help.

in email / SMTP speak you can try:

- email relay. That the linux box send all the email to the windows email server
- put an email server on linux, are 2 different servers. SMTP is to send email to the next server, you need a pop/IMAP server so you can use your client. check Dovecot.
- configure a dns network at home/office, and let the email use the MX records. this requires some knowledge about SMTP/DNS.

Alvaro.

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/0e7a04c4-a58d-4363-9e86-6421e411b3b1%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro