Homestead slow boot?

Christopher Alevizopoulos

Oct 26, 2018, 7:59:13 AM10/26/18
to Vagrant
Hello,

I'm using Vagrant with VMWare, I installed VMWare Fusion Pro v11.0.0 (10120384) on macOS 10.14 (18A391),
then installed Vagrant v2.2.0 and vagrant-vmware-desktop 2.0.0, after that the license was also successfully added and I followed the instructions in the Laravel documentation to install Homestead.

Up until now homestead seems to work fine but the time it takes to boot (>2min) seems to me very slow and I'm wondering if something is wrong. When I boot homestead it takes a-lot of time to move past the "Verifying vmnet devices are healthy..." message and then it also gets stuck after the "Forwarding ports..." message.

Once, when I tried to halt the VM I got the following error:

Vagrant encountered an error while attempting to inspect VMware

for current version information:

  Failed attempting to check VMware version

then I tried to halt the machine again and it was successfully halted.

I was using vagrant with VirtualBox before I bought the plugin to boost performance, and in my old setup VirtualBox Homestead would boot alot faster on a older MAC, I was expecting Homestead to boot alot faster with the new setup and this behaviour makes me worry that I might have problems with my installation, maybe some incompatibility with the Mojave OS.

Has anyone experienced something similar with their setup?

Thank you for your time
Chris

I'm attaching a vagrant info log.
info_log.txt

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Oct 27, 2018, 1:49:01 PM10/27/18
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
hello

if you are familiar installing homestead, i would suggest if you can try with a different box.

Alvaro

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/0e40e23a-48f6-4d68-8f44-7690d079a05d%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro

Christopher Alevizopoulos

Oct 31, 2018, 11:13:24 AM10/31/18
to Vagrant
Hi Alvaro,

I will try that when I get some time on my hands.

I'm still unable to find why booting has been so slow, and I still get random errors that resolve themselves like the following:

Vagrant encountered an error while attempting to prune unused

port forward entries:

Failed to delete port forward

my best guess: ist OSX Mojave related, I was unable to find any solution so far and I will probably go back to using Virtual Box.

I opened a ticket with support and if I get a response I will post it here for future reference.

Christopher Alevizopoulos

Nov 1, 2018, 11:41:07 AM11/1/18
to Vagrant
So I installed vagrant 2.2.0, vmware utility 1.0.5 and upgraded the plugins,
but homestead is still booting slow.

Then I tried the hashicorp/precise64 box, and its also taking more than 2 minutes to boot

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Nov 2, 2018, 10:54:51 AM11/2/18
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
hello.

I can't comment on if VMWre should be faster then Virtualbox, or why is not.

I personally use Virtualbox and runs fine.

If you can run commands with time, we can compare times.

here goes what I mean.

Alvaro

Christopher Alevizopoulos

Nov 3, 2018, 5:41:07 AM11/3/18
to Vagrant
I installed a Homestead box running from Virtual Box in parallel with Homestead running from Fusion, then I timed vagrant up as you suggested

Virtual Box:
real    0m32.602s
user    0m4.619s
sys     0m1.937s

Fusion:
real      2m16.893s
user   0m4.396s
sys     0m0.599s

Virtual Box is the winner, not only does it load faster, but it runs smoother as well, I don't get the random self resolving errors I have with Fusion.

Despite what they say in the Laravel website, that Fusion shares files faster with your host, the time it takes to boot makes me want to use Virtual Box anyway, when I change something in my box I have to take a coffee break for Fusion to reboot.

It's been three days since I opened a ticket with support and I have received no answer, I can't wait for them any more, also If you go the the vagrant website It's hard to find any mention about support (I bet if I compare it with Parallels that will trigger a response!).

With my experience so far, if you consider buying the Vagrant VMWare tool, don't buy it unless you see or read about it working smoothly on your setup. In my case, the open source solution feels reliable and supported (virtual box), and the paid tool (Fusion with Vagrant VMWare plugin) feels like I wasted my time and money.

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Nov 3, 2018, 4:20:33 PM11/3/18
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
hello

cant find any ticket under your email, but i can see the order.
email me alvaro at hashicorp.com to confirm you want me to process the refund and i will start the process

thanks
alvaro

Alvaro

Christopher Alevizopoulos

Nov 5, 2018, 4:36:49 AM11/5/18
to Vagrant
Alvaro hi

I really appreciate the offer but I prefer to keep it, I'm now using Virtual Box with vagrant, that is also developed by Hashicorp, it works great and I'm grateful for that.

But support for the VMWare plugin should be more accessible from the Vagrant website, the client should not feel alone with his product.

Thank you
Christopher