Vagrant up hangs bringing up an Ubuntu VM on a Windows VM

Kirk Franks

Oct 13, 2017, 11:03:01 AM10/13/17
to Vagrant
I successfully deployed VirtualBox and Vagrant on my Mac host, and used it to deploy an Ubuntu development server for my work. But now I want to deploy this Ubuntu VM into one of our labs, on a Windows VM running on an ESXi host. I successfully installed VirtualBox and Vagrant on this Windows VM, but when I tried to launch the Ubuntu VM with the 'vagrant up' command, the command just hangs. As far as I can tell, the process is not dead, as it responds to a CNTL-C. It's not spitting up any warning or error messages. I've let it run overnight, thinking it was just really slow brining up the machine initially, but that didn't complete.

I suppose my first question is, can I deploy a VirtualBox VM on a (VMware vCenter managed) VM? Then, if this configuration is allowed, why do you suppose the 'vagrant up' command hangs? I'm quite familiar with VMWare's products, but not so much with VirtualBox. I've been working for this particular cloud computing system manufacturer for about seven years now as a principal QA engineer and I'm fairly adept at this.

Any clues or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm tempted to try deploying to a CentOS VM, thinking this may be a Windows issue.

Antony Stone

Oct 13, 2017, 11:10:25 AM10/13/17
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
On Friday 13 October 2017 at 17:03:01, Kirk Franks wrote:

> I successfully deployed VirtualBox and Vagrant on my Mac host, and used it
> to deploy an Ubuntu development server for my work. But now I want to
> deploy this Ubuntu VM into one of our labs, on a Windows VM running on an
> ESXi host. I successfully installed VirtualBox and Vagrant on this Windows
> VM, but when I tried to launch the Ubuntu VM with the 'vagrant up' command,
> the command just hangs.

> I suppose my first question is, can I deploy a VirtualBox VM on a (VMware
> vCenter managed) VM?

Do any of the following help?

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/537299

https://egustafson.github.io/post/esxi-nested-virtualbox/

https://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8970

Antony.

--
"Linux is going to be part of the future. It's going to be like Unix was."

- Peter Moore, Asia-Pacific general manager, Microsoft

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Oct 13, 2017, 3:20:18 PM10/13/17
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Hello

If the Windows Machine VM does have all the required flags for nested virtualization, then should be transparent.

The question I have is.

why you want install virtualbox and vagrant on a windows VM to creatre a linux vm ?

why not create a linux VM on ESXi and use it ?

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/304263bf-553d-4a84-a852-7d1905df405c%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro

Kirk Franks

Oct 13, 2017, 4:49:42 PM10/13/17
to Vagrant
Alvaro,

Thanks for the reply. I'll check the flags and correct them.

The main reason for this particular architecture is the containered Linux machine supports a test automation framework that is built and supported by our configuration management group at work. The design somehow depends on VirtualBox and Vagrant for capabilities they couldn't get from ESXi and vCenter. It might be some linkage with their continuous build&test automation, they use the same design for automated testing in that. We use it to make our tests compatible with their deployment and our test development. You know how that goes...

Thanks,
-Kirk

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 10:03 AM, Kirk Franks <kir...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Kirk Franks

Oct 13, 2017, 4:51:42 PM10/13/17
to Vagrant
Anthony,

Thanks for the pointers, I'm looking into them now. I think the first one will be fruitful.

Regards,
-Kirk