NS_ERROR_FAILURE issue on MacOS High Sierra

Ryan Langley

Jan 2, 2018, 5:20:43 PM1/2/18
to Vagrant
Hi Everyone,

I'm having a strange issue with Vagrant + VBox on MacOS High Sierra.  I've created a custom Vagrant box for my team, and it works fine on Win10 and MacOS Sierra hosts.  However, one of my team members is on a newer Mac Pro laptop with MacOs High Sierra, and we get the following error when doing the same setup as the other hosts after "vagrant up":

There was an error while executing `VBoxManage`, a CLI used by Vagrant
for controlling VirtualBox. The command and stderr is shown below.

Command: ["startvm", "a3c41dcb-841b-4395-9a04-28c50eea6781", "--type", "headless"]

Stderr: VBoxManage: error: The virtual machine 'Vagrant_default_1513972955067_49566' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1)
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine

This error gives very little to go on.  I've researched it for a few days via Google, and have tried multiple suggested fixes like vboxdrv setup, setting DISPLAY env var, verifying host-only network settings, removing and reinstalling vagrant and virtual box, removing ~/.vagrant.d and .vagrant, etc.  Everything gives the same error as above.  It does not even get to a point where it will create a vbox log file.

One small glimmer of the issue is if I manually run:

$ VBoxHeadless -s "vagrant_default"

The VBox VM starts up as expected, however if I manually run:

$ VBoxManage startvm "vagrant_default" --type headless

The VBox VM fails to start with the same error as above.  Has anyone seen this issue before?  Is there a way to force vagrant to use VBoxHeadless instead of VBoxManage?

Vagrant Version: 2.0.1
VirtualBox Version: 5.2.4

Any thoughts would be appreciated, I'm not sure what else to do at this point!

Thanks,
 - Ryan Langley

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Jan 2, 2018, 6:51:45 PM1/2/18
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
it seems not a vagrant issue

virtualbox forums like this:

blame things like external drivers no properly removed, or mac os upgrade after virtualbox isntalls (?) and people try reboots / reinstalls

have the virtualbox removed and reinstalled here ?

alvaro

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/6c664f00-2cd1-49d5-a7ea-42c424a7367e%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro

Ryan Langley

Jan 3, 2018, 9:12:46 AM1/3/18
to Vagrant
Thanks for your thoughts Alvaro.

I agree that it does appear to be an issue with the Virtual Box install.  I will check the forum you posted to see if I can make progress, as well as have the team member completely remove VBox, reboot, and then re-install it.

My main motive for posting here was to see if there was a way I could configure Vagrant to use VBoxHeadless rather than VBoxManage.  It seems most likely not, but perhaps it'd be useful in some cases.