9.2.2x64/Linux: Environments and the abt window

Joachim Tuchel

Jul 30, 2020, 2:53:13 AM7/30/20
to VA Smalltalk

Hello,

Today is my first day of using 9.2.2 in anger.  I just started a newly created environment/image and found that the abt start script window stays open ( a window named abt, showing the console output of the image startup script). I have never used Environments on Linux before (in 9.1, there was no 64 bits Environemts), so I wonder if this is a design decision or if it even can be avoided. I don't need it if an image starts successfully. Is there an option to close it on startup?

Joachim

Mariano Martinez Peck

Jul 30, 2020, 9:48:57 AM7/30/20
to VA Smalltalk
Hi Joachim,

That is controlled in /usr/local/VASmalltalk/9.2.2x64/environments/StartDevImage.sh

As you can see, at the very end, it does:

xterm -e ./$5 -i$6 -ini:$7 $8

The usage of 'xterm' is something that has been there since a long time. I am not sure of all the benefits of that, but if you don't want it, you can comment that line and just but below:

# Don't use xterm to launch VAST
# xterm -e ./$5 -i$6 -ini:$7 $8
./$5 -i$6 -ini:$7 $8

Hope this helps,