Running EMSRV on Windows Server 2012R2

Steven LaFavor

Dec 15, 2017, 5:49:04 PM12/15/17
to VA Smalltalk
The company here is migrating servers from 2008 to 2012, and we are trying to move the smalltalk repositories from one machine to another.

In trying to install the EMSRV process on the new machine (I'm using the one that was distributed with 8.6.3), I am using the following line:

emsrv -install -mp -rn -s2 -lf -W E:\emsrv -u *userid* -p *password*.

The userid used has admin rights on the server.

The service installs, but when I try to run it, I get a screen that says the service started then stopped.

The emsrv.log file created in the E:\emsrv directory has the following line in it:

INFO basicWinsockCleanUp EMSRV Winsock cleanup error.  OS error 10093: Either the application has not called WSAStartup, or WSAStartup failed.

Any ideas??

*Steve*

Steven LaFavor

Dec 15, 2017, 6:52:58 PM12/15/17
to VA Smalltalk
Ok.  I've found a few problems.

First, specifying the -lf parameter without an argument causes a problem because the parser assumes that the next argument is a file name. I thought that it was also used as a boolean parameter (-lf for file logging, -lc for console logging, -ls for stdout).  Turns out that -lf is the default, and that you only need to use it if you want to change the name of the file.

In reading further stuff in the EMSRV docs, it talks about making sure that the EMSRV account that you use has the authority to "Log on as a service".  That got me past the WINSOCK issue.

Steven LaFavor

Jun 14, 2019, 2:13:01 PM6/14/19
to VA Smalltalk
I wanted to ask a question for Windows installations of EMSRV.

As companies are wont to do, there are "security cleanups" of older userid accounts, as well as reorganization/restructuring of assets, etc....So an account that was being used to execute the EMSRV process was being removed.

I removed the existing EMSRV service thru SC DELETE.

I then installed a new EMSRV service/process without using the -u and -p parameters, thinking that I would be able to use the "Run under a specific account" on the services' properties page.  But that does not seem to work.   The service starts and immediately stops.

Adding the -u and -p parameters with the account information works, of course

Is there a reason why the EMSRV code does not use the Log On As... settings in the Services dialog?  Or am I missing something here?