code signing

Wayne Johnston

Dec 16, 2019, 3:55:21 PM12/16/19
to VA Smalltalk
Is there a way to sign an image (icx file)?  Similar to signing a JAR, or how signtool can sign a .exe/.dll file on Windows.

Or some other idea?

I guess we could do something homemade, like storing the packaging timestamp, and the timestamp encrypted a global variables...

Seth Berman

Dec 20, 2019, 12:28:46 PM12/20/19
to VA Smalltalk
Hi Wayne,

Is your question more about how to produce a digital signature over some bytes (and then subsequently verify it)
such as the examples found in OpenSSLDigitalSignatureExamples?

Or does your question relate more to, once you have some sort of digital signature over the bytes of an image...where do you put it?
An example is the jarsigner which puts stores algo params and signatures in the META-INF dir of a jar(zip) file?

BTW, Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to you and your team.

- Seth

Wayne Johnston

Dec 21, 2019, 8:21:18 AM12/21/19
to VA Smalltalk
Sorry for my multiple partial thoughts.  My question is the latter.  We made the mistake of saying an image (icx file) is like a JAR file, so then we were asked if we could sign it.