Seaside packaging

Louis LaBrunda

May 4, 2021, 8:15:53 AM5/4/21
to VAST Community Forum
I have been pulling my hair out for days trying to package my Seaside/Raspberry Pi VA Smalltalk V9.2.2 (that's the latest VM for the Raspberry) program for days.  This seems to happen every time I make any changes of substance.  This time it was adding some SST and STON use.  The packager now complains that (among other things) #packagingRulesFor: has errors but says nothing else about the errors.

All that aside for a moment, I can create a new UNIX image, load everything I want into it, I'm wondering if I can save that image in a usable way?  Meaning if I start it, will it start the way a well packaged image does?

I have to go out until later this afternoon.  When I get back I will experiment with that.  In the mean time, if anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them.  Thanks.

Lou

Mariano Martinez Peck

May 4, 2021, 11:09:23 AM5/4/21
to VA Smalltalk
Can you realize which is the class of the #packagingRulesFor: that is failing? We recently found something that we fix in 10.0.1 that could cause that kind of error. If you want to give it a try...grab the method CorePI class >> packagingRulesFor:  from 10.0.1 and override the version of 922.
Let me know if that helps,

Best,

Mariano

Mariano Martinez Peck

Senior Software Engineer

 mp...@instantiations.com
 @MartinezPeck
 /mariano-martinez-peck
 instantiations.com
TwitterLinkedInVAST Community ForumGitHubYouTubepub.dev

Louis LaBrunda

May 4, 2021, 4:00:05 PM5/4/21
to VAST Community Forum
Hi Mariano,

It fails in my packaging class.  Beyond that it doesn't say anything.

There are other errors like:

AbtFormatAndVerificationHelper>>#format: - No implementors of #format:caseRule:

the normal fix for these things doesn't help.

I tried your change to CorePI, it didn't help but I don't think that is the problem anyway.

I'm now going to try to see if I can save the image in a form that will work.  By that I mean will start with the method of the class that normally gets designated with packaging.  If anyone has any ideas, please chime in.

The old packaged image size is a little over 5 meg.  The un-packaged saved image size is a little over 32 meg.  I don't think that will be a problem, I'm just pointing out that if final image size is important, packaging does a lot.

I know it sounds like I am always complaining about Seaside packaging and I am but I do understand that Seaside comes from the world of Squeak and Pharo and they don't have anything like our packaging.  They just run big images with lots of unneeded stuff in it.  Also I don't think they have much in the way of prerequisites and applications like we do.  So, they can unknowingly do things that make our packaging a mess.

Hopefully with version 11 and the ARM stuff in the supported product, packaging, if not perfect, will be less painful to get something that works, even if it isn't as small as possible.

Lou

Mariano Martinez Peck

May 4, 2021, 4:23:47 PM5/4/21
to VA Smalltalk
Louis,

Maybe you want to share your class' packagingRulesFor: impl so that we can take a look?

Cheers,

Louis LaBrunda

May 5, 2021, 11:40:12 AM5/5/21
to VAST Community Forum
Hi,

I have email Mariano the code off line.  I don't mind sharing it with the group but this google group site fails to upload files at least 9 out of 10 times.  If anyone wants to see it, give me an email address and I will send it to you.

Lou