Blog post on setting up EMSRV as a service on Ubuntu 18.04

Joachim Tuchel

Mar 14, 2020, 8:06:21 AM3/14/20
to VA Smalltalk
I've written a little post on how to get EMSRV running as a daemon/service on Ubuntu 18.04   (alll 64 bits) .
If you know something about systemd, this is boring stuff.
But if you don't (like me) and/or had an Ubuntu 14.04 machine running some older 32 bits emsrv on it, things have changed a little. You may save an hour or two when following this tiny tutorial.

Joachim Tuchel

Mar 15, 2020, 1:41:39 AM3/15/20
to VA Smalltalk
I've heard of people giving up reading my posts before they are at least three days old for a good reason...

I was so excited that I got this systemd thing set up that I completely forgot to mention that what I show is not a good idea as it runs emsrv as root. So I added a few sentences to the post. Feel free to take a second look ;-)

Mariano Martinez Peck

Mar 16, 2020, 8:52:22 AM3/16/20
to VA Smalltalk
Hi Joachim,

Great post! Thanks for sharing.
One small question, is that line:

ExecStart=/usr/local/VASmalltalk/9.2.1x64/bin/emsrv

your final/production one?  Or do you normally add more parameters? For example, I think it's better logging into its own log rather than stdout etc

Best,

Mariano

Mariano Martinez Peck
Software Engineer, Instantiations Inc.

Joachim Tuchel

Mar 17, 2020, 2:24:38 AM3/17/20
to VA Smalltalk
Hi Mariano,

glad you like it.

No, I have a few parameters in our environment, on of them being the logging path. I didn't intent to explain any emsrv parameters we use, so I just added a link to the documentation page so that people can find how to enable passwords and stuff. And, for many situations, no parameters are needed anyways.

I must admit, however, that in the 26 years I've been using VAST, I never had the need to lokk into the emsrv.log. I guess I'll be glad to have it should there ever be a problem.

Joachim

Am Samstag, 14. März 2020 13:06:21 UTC+1 schrieb Joachim Tuchel:
I've written a little post on how to get EMSRV running as a daemon/service on Ubuntu 18.04   (alll 64 bits) .
If you know something about systemd, this is boring stuff.
But if you don't (like me) and/or had an Ubuntu 14.04 machine running some older 32 bits emsrv on it, things have changed a little. You may save an hour or two when following this tiny tutorial.

Joachim Tuchel

Mar 17, 2020, 2:38:51 AM3/17/20
to VA Smalltalk
oh, I think logging is not to stdout by default on Linux.... I have never used emsrv on Windows...