Does anybody use MSP to schedule Lent Fish fry activities?

mostsacredh...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2022, 10:37:43 AM2/4/22
to using-ministry...@googlegroups.com, John Crimi

Hello MSP user community,

Our parish (Most Sacred Heart Parish, Eureka, MO) has been using MSP for several years and we are very pleased with the features.

This year the Parish leadership is considering using MSP to schedule the Weekly fish fry activities for the annual Lent Fish Fry.

Has anybody successfully used MSP to do this?

If yes, did a new service(s) need to be established with supporting ministries (aka fish fry activities)?

There are multiple shifts during a fish fry.  How are multiple shifts configured into the service(s)?

I’m sure there is more to consider in order successfully configure the features to support a weekly fish fry.

If an MSP user would prefer to verbally share their challenges and success with configuring MSP to accommodate the annual Lent fish fry, then please call me.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Regards,

John Taylor

Most Sacred Heart Parish

Eureka, MO

636-891-2281

Wendy Piper

Feb 4, 2022, 3:47:43 PM2/4/22
to using-ministry...@googlegroups.com
Hi MSP Users!

I have been using MSP for a couple of years now for our weekend Mass ministries.  Our PSR director would also like to use it to schedule her catechists and helpers.

Is there any way for us to both use MSP but to maintain separate schedules?  I do my schedule monthly, and she would likely prefer to schedule her team over 3-4 month periods.  Moreover, I schedule weekend Masses, and her PSR schedule is both during weekends and through the week.  So if we built the schedule together, it could turn into a real mess.

Can you offer any suggestions on how we can both use this tool to our advantage?

God bless,
Wendy Piper
Liturgy Coordinator

Raina Hanson

Feb 7, 2022, 4:35:19 PM2/7/22
to using-ministry...@googlegroups.com, John Crimi
Hi John,

Depending on how many Fish Fry events you have and how close they are to your weekend service (and if you are just looking for self-signup or if you need to set repeating assignments, and various other factors like that), MSP might be able to accommodate this, or you might be better off trying Volunteer Scheduler Pro

The benefits to using VSP are:
  • keeping a separate database from your liturgical ministries
  • shift scheduling
  • all of the other MSP features you know and love: online signups, automatic reminder emails and texts, sub requests, 24/7 access to the schedule...
Either way, we recommend you email us your data files (Help - Send Data Files to Tech Support) along with a general idea of what the fish fry entails from a schedule perspective, and we can have your account rep reach out ot you to help figure out if MSP will work or if VSP is a better fit!

Raina Hanson
Director of Technical Support

Raina Hanson

Feb 7, 2022, 4:44:55 PM2/7/22
to using-ministry...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wendy,

Great question! Since the details of how you are currently using MSP and the extent to which the PSR schedule would interfere with that require quite a bit of information, I would recommend either giving us a call (888-622-0949 x 1) or sending in your data files (Help - Send Data Files to Tech Support) with an outline of the PSR schedule so we can take a closer look at your current setup and give a recommendation.

That being said, there are a few tools in MSP to help with some of the questions you asked above:

1. You can run the auto scheduler separately and have 2 separate Live Schedule Posts so the volunteers see the schedules as separate. Although even with this, you will need to decide on how long the master schedule is going to be.
2. You can use the schedule view to focus in on one or more ministries at a time so you aren't looking at both schedules simultaneously.

Once we have more info on your exact needs, I am sure there are more recommendations we can make!

Raina Hanson
Director of Technical Support

enwi...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2022, 10:55:51 AM2/8/22
to Using Ministry Scheduler Pro
Wendy,

I "second" Raina's suggestion Number 1 about using multiple live schedule posts. I use separate live schedule posts to promote Sunday School schedules, live schedule posts specially formatted for our admin staff to easily copy-and-paste volunteer names into  bulletins, and to "hide" special services that have not yet been planned (such as Christmas Eve  or Holy Week services) and which can later be promoted.

I was not familiar with Raina's second suggestion, Number 2, about focus on one or more ministries. This looks very helpful when juggling many differing schedules, and I look forward to utilizing this feature as we edge toward fully returning to church activities.

Emily Wixson
Madison Christian Community
Madison, Wisconsin