ANNOUNCEMENT: Proposed USGenWeb Bylaw Amendment

webmaster

Apr 25, 2021, 9:11:48 PM4/25/21
to boa...@googlegroups.com, disc...@googlegroups.com, state...@googlegroups.com, usgenw...@googlegroups.com, usgenweb...@googlegroups.com, usgen...@googlegroups.com, usgw...@googlegroups.com, usgw...@googlegroups.com, usgw...@googlegroups.com
On April 23, 2021, the Advisory Board received a proposal from MNGenWeb to amend a USGenWeb Bylaw. The proposed amendment seeks to strike the requirement that all State sites must provide a link to the WorldGenWeb Project. By striking this as a National requirement, individual States will be free to decide if they wish to include this link on the State website.

The proposed amendment is posted in full on the National website (second proposed amendment):  http://usgenweb.org/about/proposedamendments.html

Five additional States are required to co-sponsor this amendment for inclusion on the upcoming National Election ballot. States that wish to co-sponsor this proposed amendment are instructed to notify the Advisory Board and CC  usgenw...@googlegroups.com

XVI. Amendment to Bylaws
C. The proposed amendment, with the sponsor's name and date of posting, shall remain posted for a period of at least thirty (30) days prior to the annual voting period of July 1-July 31.  Any proposed amendment shall require a minimum of five (5) states as co-sponsors to command that it be placed on the ballot.  State projects wishing to co-sponsor the amendment shall notify the Advisory Board and make an announcement on the USGenWeb-All Mailing List.

Apr 25, 2021, 9:39:07 PM4/25/21
to webmaster, boa...@googlegroups.com, disc...@googlegroups.com, state...@googlegroups.com, usgenw...@googlegroups.com, usgenweb...@googlegroups.com, usgen...@googlegroups.com, usgw...@googlegroups.com, usgw...@googlegroups.com, usgw...@googlegroups.com
I would like to know the reason that this amendment is being suggested.

Christine Morton
comanche
coryell
hamilton
travis
Texas Counties

webmaster

Apr 26, 2021, 8:03:13 AM4/26/21
to Christine Morton, usgw...@googlegroups.com
Christine and others,

The Advisory Board is following protocol to communicate when changes to our Bylaws are proposed. I see that a few of you have questions. Tim Stowell, the SC sponsor of this proposed amendment, is now added to the SWSC group to answer your questions about the rationale behind this proposal.

Please feel free to discuss this topic and make your opinions known.

Timothy Stowell

Apr 26, 2021, 1:20:19 PM4/26/21
to usgw...@googlegroups.com
The proposed amendment only applies to state sites.  It does not mean that state sites can no longer link to WorldGenWeb if they want to.  It would just remove it as a required link on state sites.

In 2017, one person associated with WorldGenWeb asked why it was a requirement for states to have the link since WorldGenWeb never asked for it.  Others said the topic seemed to come up each year but no one took the required steps to remove the requirement.

Tim Stowell