Agbaje has been released

Toyin Falola

Oct 30, 2022, 5:32:52 PM10/30/22
to dialogue, Yoruba Affairs

A few hours ago….

Oluwatoyin Adepoju

Oct 30, 2022, 6:14:59 PM10/30/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com, Yoruba Affairs
Great.

I hope he will tell his story publicly to help us better understand our predicament.

Toyin

On Sun, Oct 30, 2022, 22:32 Toyin Falola <toyin...@austin.utexas.edu> wrote:

A few hours ago….

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Cornelius Hamelberg

Oct 30, 2022, 6:50:05 PM10/30/22
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

Chika Okeke-Agulu

Oct 31, 2022, 6:17:17 AM10/31/22
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
There is nothing to understand if you ask me.  Is it for him to say how much was paid on his head to secure his release? Or whether he was roughed up while in captivity?  So many Nigerians--the jobless teenager who demands a few hundred thousand Naira on his neighbor's head, and the sophisticated kidnapping gangs who command tens of millions for taking bishops and wealthy folks. In the meantime, the government of the day led by Buhari is so inept or does not really care; and in spite of this, Nigerians seem poised to reward the ruling party with another term for a good job. So, frankly, I see no point in kidnap victims speaking publicly about their ordeal since it is a private matter. As we speak, a busload of passengers, many university students from Jos returning to school in the S.E after the ASUU strike, were kidnapped this past week around Oturkpa. The kidnappers tried to negotiate with the bus company and, running out of patience, are now contacting families to negotiate directly with them. This is different from the 50 or so, including, UNN students traveling from Enugu to Nsukka whose families are currently negotiating privately with their kidnappers since earlier last week. Professor Agbaje should thank his family and friends who, very likely, bought his freedom at whatever price. Who has this scourge not touched? Traveling inside Nigeria--whether on the highway or local road--is to put oneself at the mercy of kidnappers. Try your luck.

Oluwatoyin Adepoju

Nov 1, 2022, 2:03:36 AM11/1/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com