The hypocrisy and superstition of not speaking Ill about the Dead

Obododimma Oha

Sep 10, 2022, 5:27:06 PM9/10/22
to USAAfricaDialogue

John Edward Philips (Yahaya Danjuma)

Sep 11, 2022, 7:24:34 AM9/11/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
“Dē mortuīs nīl nisi bonum.” My Latin teacher said she thought it was because of a superstition the Romans had that ghosts could harm you.

Anyway, it’s hardly a sentiment unique to Africa. I find myself less willing to speak ill of someone when they have passed away, and can no longer respond.

On Sep 11, 2022, at 06:01, Obododimma Oha <obod...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

John Edward Philips, Professor Emeritus
International Society, College of Humanities, Hirosaki University
"Homo sum; humani nihil a me alienum puto." -Terentius Afer

Okey Iheduru

Sep 11, 2022, 10:35:31 AM9/11/22
to USAAfrica Dialogue
And when have the British royal family ever "responded" in the manner you expect other than with violence and inflicting pain on others?

Oluwatoyin Adepoju

Sep 11, 2022, 3:36:55 PM9/11/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
is the royal family still into the violence business?