Obituary: Professor Adebayo Lawal

Toyin Falola

Mar 31, 2020, 8:58:20 PM3/31/20
to dialogue, Yoruba Affairs

It is with deep sadness and sorrow that I announce the death of Professor Adebayo Lawal. He died yesterday, Monday. He had a very long career in the Dept. of History, the University of Lagos. He made his mark on the analysis of colonial Nigeria, training many generations of students who distinguished themselves in various walks of life.

You and I cannot escape death:

Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Ecclesiastes 12:7

More on the funeral arrangement in due course.

TF

Toyin Falola

Department of History

The University of Texas at Austin

104 Inner Campus Drive

Austin, TX 78712-0220

USA

512 475 7222 (fax)

http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue

Akin Alao

Mar 31, 2020, 9:07:41 PM3/31/20
to Toyin Falola, olakassimmd via USA Africa Dialogue Series, Yoruba Affairs
This is sad news. May his soul rest in peace.

Akin Alao

Ochayi Okpeh

Apr 1, 2020, 7:24:27 AM4/1/20
to dialogue, Yoruba Affairs
This so sad. May God grant him eternal rest. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family he left behind. May God bless, keep and protect them. Amen.

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

segun ogungbemi

Apr 1, 2020, 7:24:27 AM4/1/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to hear this sorrowful news.
May his soul rest in peace with his Ancestors.
Segun Ogungbemi

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Anthony Akinola

Apr 1, 2020, 8:33:10 AM4/1/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
 May his soul rest in peace.
Anthony Akinola

Ibukunolu A Babajide

Apr 1, 2020, 9:27:19 AM4/1/20
to USAAfricaDialogue
What a great loss.  May his soul rest in perfect peace.

Amen.

IBK

_________________________
Ibukunolu Alao Babajide (IBK)

AN ENGLISH NURSERY RHYME

The law locks up the man or woman

Who steals the goose from off the common

But leaves the greater villain loose

Who steals the common from off the goose

The law demands that we atone

When we take things that we do not own

But leaves the lords and ladies fine

Who take things that are yours and mine

The poor and wretched don’t escape

If they conspire the law to break

This must be so but they endure

Those who conspire to make the law

The law locks up the man or woman

Who steals the goose from off the common

And geese will still a common lack

Till they go and steal it back

 -        Anonymous (circa 1764)

Christian Chukwuma Opata

Apr 1, 2020, 9:40:16 AM4/1/20
to Toyin Falola, dialogue, Yoruba Affairs
What a big loss! A major setback for upcoming Economic Historians of
Nigerian extraction. He is every ready to help direct younger scholars
aright. I am a beneficiary. Rest in peace.

On 31/03/2020, Toyin Falola <toyin...@austin.utexas.edu> wrote:
> It is with deep sadness and sorrow that I announce the death of Professor
> Adebayo Lawal. He died yesterday, Monday. He had a very long career in the
> Dept. of History, the University of Lagos. He made his mark on the analysis
> of colonial Nigeria, training many generations of students who distinguished
> themselves in various walks of life.
>
> You and I cannot escape death:
>
> Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall
> return unto God who gave it.
> <https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Ecclesiastes-12-7/>
> Ecclesiastes 12:7
>
> More on the funeral arrangement in due course.
> TF
> Toyin Falola
> Department of History
> The University of Texas at Austin
> 104 Inner Campus Drive
> Austin, TX 78712-0220
> USA
> 512 475 7224
> 512 475 7222 (fax)
> http://sites.utexas.edu/yoruba-studies-review/
> http://www.toyinfalola.com
> http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa
> http://groups.google.com/group/yorubaaffairs
> http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue

--
Dr Christian Chukwuma Opata,
Department of History and International Studies,

Uyilawa Usuanlele

Apr 1, 2020, 10:28:43 AM4/1/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
May his gentle soul rest in Peace.
uyi

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Afolayan, Funso

Apr 1, 2020, 10:49:31 AM4/1/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
He was a good man, a versatile scholar, a kind and gentle fellow.

He will be sorely missed.

May his soul rest in perfect peace.

Funso.

Jide osuntokun

Apr 2, 2020, 6:40:55 AM4/2/20
to Toyin Falola, dialogue, Yoruba Affairs
Dear Toyin ,
What a great loss.
. Bayo was my colleague in unilag for several years .
May God Rest his soul in peace .
Professor emeritus Akinjide Osuntokun

Sent from my iPhone

Olatunde Babawale

Apr 2, 2020, 8:09:26 AM4/2/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com, Toyin Falola, dialogue, Yoruba Affairs
I am  saddened by the tragic news of Prof Adebayo Lawal's demise.  May the Lord grant his soul eternal repose.

Tunde Babawale
Dept of Political Science
University of Lagos
Akoka
Nigeria

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Michael Afolayan

Apr 2, 2020, 7:07:23 PM4/2/20
to dialogue, Yoruba Affairs, yorubaaffa...@googlegroups.com
OMG!

I am so sorry to hear this terrible news! Wow, so the gentle economic historian form Ila Orangun is gone! Professor Lawal was a good friend of my family. We hosted him a few times in Wisconsin and he and his wife hosted me while I came to Nigeria on the flag of UNICEF, using the UNILAG library barely two years ago, and that would be the last time we saw each other. O boy!

May the good Lord grant the family the fortitude to bear the loss, and may all of us who are his friends be comforted!

Michael O. Afoláyan