Vatican repudiates 'Doctrine of Discovery' used to justify colonialism after demands from Indigenous peoples - ABC News

Cornelius Hamelberg

Mar 31, 2023, 7:15:44 PM3/31/23
to USAAfric...@googlegroups.com

Cornelius Hamelberg

Apr 2, 2023, 9:27:15 AM4/2/23
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
That which has been repudiated : Doctrine of Discovery

I wonder if this repudiation also applies to voyages of exploration to outer space and mankind's future colonisation of other planets and flag-planting on other territories in outer space, based on the No Man's Land Doctrine of " We were there first"

Over there too there's the possibility that the mission to civilise - take their civilisation and Christianization Mission with them as a natural impulse and a Divine Commission

"The streets in heaven are lined with goldI ask you how things could get much worseIf the Russians happen to get up there first"

Gloria Emeagwali

Apr 2, 2023, 3:32:02 PM4/2/23
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Great points.

The new conquistadores,to be,
assume empty land, and an
automatic, guaranteed,
god-given right of occupancy
for the new settler colonists.

Time will tell.

GE

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin