A Double Celebration: Happy New Year, TF!!

Ezinwanyi Adam

Dec 31, 2021, 11:53:55 PM12/31/21
to toyinfalola, usaafric...@googlegroups.com
I celebrate God's faithfulness
I celebrate His Sabbath
And I celebrate the birth of a Wise Sage
Born to impart wisdom
And to make affections sweet

I celebrate a great teacher
Whose innumerable accomplishments,
Measured by the successes of many whose lives he's touched
Remain easily unsurpassable

I celebrate an inspiration
Whose life and work provoke strong thoughts for scholarship in its true sense...
And mentorship, even to generations yet unborn

I celebrate Toyin Falola
Whose name resonates for me excellence, hard work, humility, and much more...
A savage AF* who takes great delight in celebrating people, dead or alive, and their achievements...
A breed rare to find

Today is indeed remarkable...
It's a double celebration
I shall do well
to celebrate well
This rare gem and the new year day on the Sabbath.

Happy New Year and joyous birthday, TF!

Ibukunolu A Babajide

Jan 1, 2022, 12:06:31 AM1/1/22
to USAAfricaDialogue
Ezinwanyi,

Thank you for the celebration of the Sabbath and the new year and in particular the very deserving tribute and birthday wishes to our beloved Toyin Falola.

God bless you and may all your prayers come to pass.

Happy 2022.

Cheers.

IBK

PS:
What do you mean by, "Savage AF"?  Thank you in advance for your gentle explanation.

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Toyin Falola

Jan 1, 2022, 12:06:31 AM1/1/22
to Ezinwanyi Adam, usaafric...@googlegroups.com

The Ezi of Babcock, the Adam of Eden

I think you should write more of these poems, for various others, so that we can cumulate your talent into an anthology.

I know you don’t drink, but I will drink on your behalf, turning wine into water

Ezinwanyi Adam

Jan 1, 2022, 12:22:15 AM1/1/22
to Toyin Falola, usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Love it!
Everly inspiring...

Please go ahead, sir
And enjoy your day.
The fruit juice we call wine is available
I'll have some.

Ezinwanyi Adam

Jan 1, 2022, 12:29:30 AM1/1/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
"Savage AF" is a slang way to characterise something or someone in this case as extremely good and brutally honest...
Thank you, Sir IBK.

Oluwatoyin Adepoju

Jan 1, 2022, 7:49:05 AM1/1/22
to usaafricadialogue
great salutations to the great master.

magnificent poem, Ezinwanyi.

We are all honoured.

toyin

Ibukunolu A Babajide

Jan 1, 2022, 7:49:05 AM1/1/22
to USAAfricaDialogue
As in "Savage And Forthright"?

Cheers.

IBK

Patrick Effiboley

Jan 1, 2022, 7:49:16 AM1/1/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Happy new year, prof Falola and happy birthday to you and to you your wife. I wonder how it is to be the wife of a so sollicited, publicly invested man and scholar. Share this yearly greeting with her.

Dr Emery Patrick EFFIBOLEY
Maître-Assitant en Histoire de l'Art
Chef, Département d'Histoire et d'Archéologie, Université d'Abomey-Calavi, Bénin
Andrew W. Mellon Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of the Witwatersrand,Johannesburg,(2014-2016)

Ademola Dasylva

Jan 1, 2022, 8:58:32 AM1/1/22
to USAAfricaDialogue, Toyin Falola, Ezinwanyi Adam
Ain't no ornaments to add to the value of Gold. If however you want it to shine the more, then fire it more. Adams has successfully peeped into our spirit and taken the words off our lips. Nothing else to add that captures more powerfully the spirit of the moment and the admiration we, friends, colleagues, mentees, etc, have for the celebrant, the enigmatic TF, the Ògbólógbòó, Eégún Ológbojò, Akọ Erinlá a borí poopo, than what Adams has graphically expressed.in her commemorative poem!

As we mark your birthday today, TF, I tried to think of how, again, one can make your gold glow like never before,... yes, more work, and work! It is fire that makes a gold glow, and at its best. So all I can wish you right now is, may your strength be as the number of your days. Mount up with wings like the Eagle that you are and shine for God in your service to humanity! Wishing you more of God's grace and blessings, and a very long, healthy, joyful and fulfilled life! Many happy returns of the day, in Jesus Mighty Name, Amen.
Cheers,

Prof. Ademola Omobewaji  Dasylva,  FNAL
(Professor of African Literature, Oral Poetics & Performance),
Department of English;
Coordinator,  Ibadan Cultural Studies Group (ICSG);
Chairman, Board of TOFAC (International);
Recipient, 2009 Distinguished  Africanist Award for Research Excellence, University of Texas at Austin, USA
Recipient, 2019 Asante Award for Outstanding Research in African Studies, University of Georgia, Athens, USA.
Rm. 68, Faculty of Arts, University of Ibadan, Nigeria.
+234(0)802 350 4755

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chika Okeke-Agulu

Jan 1, 2022, 8:06:37 PM1/1/22
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
We celebrate the house
The floor, door
We celebrate the eaves
The roof, rafters
We celebrate the home
That T Falola built

Toyin Falola

Jan 1, 2022, 8:43:29 PM1/1/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Chika:

You are our man of the year! A fighter for African arts, a fighter for justice.

TF

--

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin