Today's Quote

73 просмотра

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

не прочитано,
26 дек. 2020 г., 08:33:4126.12.2020
– USA African Dialogue Series
Linking phone numbers to NIN is strictly a security precaution by the authorities, it happens every where. It is not a 666/Antichrist thing.

-Chidi Anthony Opara.

--
Chidi Anthony Opara is a "Life Time Achievement" Awardee, Registered Freight Forwarder, Professional Fellow Of Institute Of Information Managerment, Africa, Poet and Publisher of PublicInformationProjects

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

не прочитано,
27 дек. 2020 г., 09:09:3827.12.2020
– USA African Dialogue Series
All modern religions came about due to the tendency of radical departure from orthodoxy on the part of the founders.

-Chidi Anthony Opara (CAO).

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

не прочитано,
28 дек. 2020 г., 07:43:2828.12.2020
– USA African Dialogue Series
Government in Nigeria is more of organized crime.

-Chidi Anthony Opara (CAO)

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

не прочитано,
31 дек. 2020 г., 04:53:1131.12.2020
– USA African Dialogue Series
Who still remembers the name of that young Nigerian who was part of the COVID 19 vaccine development team? Has his state governor received and hosted him? How many organizations in Nigeria have made him their brand ambassador? What we need in Nigeria first, before anything, is the reordering of our values.

-Chidi Anthony Opara (CAO).

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

не прочитано,
2 янв. 2021 г., 10:56:1202.01.2021
– USA African Dialogue Series
"Spirituality, for me, is a very personal thing. I know what happens when I go in the forest, not really to hunt, but just to be by myself and experience a kind of tranquility which I do not find in urban society and commune with nature—and that’s my spirituality. It’s an internal thing. The crime, the criminality begins when spirituality structures itself in a way in which it wants to control the secular entitlement and the secular rights of humanity. That is when religions break up. One of the goriest expressions of that has been the contest in Iraq where the Shiites and the Sunnis wait for the spiritual day of each other and slaughter one another because one side does not believe in the particularities of history and heritage of the other; and then they butcher one another on their own holidays. Go round the whole world. Go to India; the Sikhs, for instance, have their problems with the Muslims, with the Buddhists, etc., all over the place. Whereas you can just sit in your home or retire to your meditation room and actually drink your fill of spirituality just by an internal process"-Wole Soyinka (in a recent interview by TheNews Magazine)

Harrow, Kenneth

не прочитано,
2 янв. 2021 г., 17:52:5602.01.2021
– USA African Dialogue Series
 chidi, i agree w you 100% about spirituality. however, the conflicts  between people often use religious identity as a ground for mobilizing populations to attack others not simp;ly because they are different, but as a reason to rationalize the economic advantages. if we attackthem, we get their goods, their land, their women, their oil, their cities, etc., and to make it good, god defends us.... that's the reason.
 bush senior had to demonize hussein to mobilize americans to accept war.
ken

kenneth harrow

professor emeritus

dept of english

michigan state university

517 803-8839

har...@msu.edu

[...]

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

не прочитано,
6 янв. 2021 г., 08:41:0906.01.2021
– USA African Dialogue Series
The major determinant of fatherhood in Igbo land is biological,  there are however alternative /Auxillary platforms on which fatherhood is predicated.

The legitimacy of those alternative /auxiliary platforms are dependent on their voluntary acceptance by all concerned  based on clearly defined socio-cultural parameters.

The present day paternity fraud do not fit into this alternative /auxiliary platforms of fatherhood.

-Chidi Anthony Opara (CAO)

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

не прочитано,
6 янв. 2021 г., 08:41:0906.01.2021
– USA African Dialogue Series
I respect all human creators, creative writers, inventors and business people who create wealth.

-Chidi Anthony Opara(CAO).

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

не прочитано,
6 янв. 2021 г., 14:13:3006.01.2021
– USA African Dialogue Series
"If we over rule the voters, we can damage the republic forever"-McConnel(Republican Senate Majority leader).

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

не прочитано,
6 янв. 2021 г., 19:23:4406.01.2021
– USA African Dialogue Series
What you endorse defines who you are.

-Chidi Anthony Opara(CAO)

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

не прочитано,
7 янв. 2021 г., 05:28:1407.01.2021
– USA African Dialogue Series
One of the implications of what happened in the U.S. is that we in Africa have  lost a democratic model with which we admonish African despotic political leaders.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

не прочитано,
7 янв. 2021 г., 05:28:1407.01.2021
– USA African Dialogue Series
It is not about Trump, it is about you who followed Trump,  a man whose shallow understanding of the intricacies of politics, economics, science, literature, etc is known to be very shallow.

-Chidi Anthony Opara (CAO).

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

не прочитано,
7 янв. 2021 г., 14:22:3507.01.2021
– USA African Dialogue Series
"Justice serve the people, it does not protect the powerful"-Joe Biden.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

не прочитано,
9 янв. 2021 г., 10:08:1009.01.2021
– USA African Dialogue Series
If Sowore and his people really want to do revolution, they should move out of the big cities to the hinterlands. That is where majority of the people live and in revolutions, the people are the fulcrum of success.

-Chidi Anthony Opara (CAO)

Oluwatoyin Vincent Adepoju

не прочитано,
9 янв. 2021 г., 10:33:5309.01.2021
– usaafricadialogue
The Lekki Toll Gate EndSars exprience contradicts this view

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

не прочитано,
12 янв. 2021 г., 15:38:0512.01.2021
– USA African Dialogue Series
If you watch Amanpour's interview with Museveni (who has ruled Uganda for 35 years and still vying) on CNN, you would know why Africa is still underdeveloped. I had to change channel.

-Chidi Anthony Opara(CAO)

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

не прочитано,
12 янв. 2021 г., 19:01:4312.01.2021
– USA Africa Dialogue Series
Oluwatoyin,
EndSARS was not a revolution.

CAO.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

не прочитано,
17 янв. 2021 г., 03:27:5917.01.2021
– USA African Dialogue Series
"Those who have known and watched Trump across the years cannot shake the irony of a president felled by the very formula that powered his rise: inflammatory speech and a self-regard that has congealed at times into functional self-delusion"-New York Times Article.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

не прочитано,
21 янв. 2021 г., 12:53:4821.01.2021
– USA African Dialogue Series
You want your wife/daughter/sister to be like Kamala Harris(Current U.S. Vice-president)with all that loads of tradition and marriage orthodoxies hanging on her neck? Impossible! Free her, allow her to fly!

-Chidi Anthony Opara (CAO)

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

не прочитано,
24 янв. 2021 г., 09:57:1524.01.2021
– USA African Dialogue Series
Self defence is not a crime. It is a fundamental human right on which all rights hinge. A human have to be alive to enjoy all other human rights.

-Chidi Anthony Opara (CAO).

Anthony Akinola

не прочитано,
24 янв. 2021 г., 13:41:1224.01.2021
– usaafric...@googlegroups.com
WELL SAID.
Akinola

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

не прочитано,
25 янв. 2021 г., 07:01:5525.01.2021
– USA African Dialogue Series
The ineptitude of the present Nigerian government have elevated another fringe character into a "freedom fighter".

-Chidi Anthony Opara (CAO)

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

не прочитано,
25 янв. 2021 г., 14:56:4825.01.2021
– USA African Dialogue Series
It is worrisome that whenever a court in any African country declares the detention of any citizen illegal and orders the security agency involved to release the illegally detained person, the security agency first declares that it will abide by the order(as if it has a choice in the matter)and proceeds to give timeline of the release and ends up in most cases finding excuses not to abide by the order.

-Chidi Anthony Opara

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

не прочитано,
26 янв. 2021 г., 02:42:2026.01.2021
– USA African Dialogue Series
The university system in Nigeria needs total  overhauling, I know because I had three children in three different universities in Nigeria.

-Chidi Anthony Opara(CAO)

Oluwatoyin Vincent Adepoju

не прочитано,
26 янв. 2021 г., 02:58:1726.01.2021
– usaafricadialogue
Can you elaborate?

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

не прочитано,
26 янв. 2021 г., 03:43:1426.01.2021
– USA Africa Dialogue Series
Oluwatoyin,
What is there to elaborate?  I had three children in three different universities in Nigeria and I know that what I went through was not what one should wish for even his enemies.

I still have another child in another university and I know what I am going through at the moment.

Believe me, the system needs overhauling, all parents with children in the system will agree to this except if they are part of the system.

It will take a whole lot of spaces to elaborate on half of the rots going on in the public university system in Nigeria.

This, for me is not an academic exercise,  it is a statement of fact.

-Chidi Anthony Opara (CAO)

Oluwatoyin Vincent Adepoju

не прочитано,
26 янв. 2021 г., 04:17:5026.01.2021
– usaafricadialogue
share with us what you have observed.

toyin

Moses Ochonu

не прочитано,
26 янв. 2021 г., 10:14:1626.01.2021
– usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Toyin Adepoju, please quit the pretentious ignorance. After many years of discussing and debating the many problems plaguing higher education in Nigeria, you’re still asking Chidi to elaborate on his his and his children’s experiences in Nigerian universities. Can you say in good conscience say that you don’t know what the problems are, or what parents like Chidi are contending with?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 26, 2021, at 3:17 AM, Oluwatoyin Vincent Adepoju <toyin....@gmail.com> wrote:

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

не прочитано,
26 янв. 2021 г., 11:45:3426.01.2021
– USA African Dialogue Series
"At last, Buhari sacks......... "

"At last, Buhari sacks....... "

"At last Buhari sacks.......... "

Haba!

Buhari did not "sack", they resigned.

-Chidi Anthony Opara (CAO)

Oluwatoyin Vincent Adepoju

не прочитано,
26 янв. 2021 г., 12:58:5626.01.2021
– usaafricadialogue
Moses, allow Chidi to speak for himself as a father of three children in Nigerian universities, as you are allowed to speak for yourself as a diaspora Nigerian academic with a BA from a Nigerian university and graduate degrees from US universities and as I am allowed to speak for myself as an Independent Scholar in Nigeria with a BA and graduate degrees from Nigeria and the UK.

I am interested in various vantage points, in varieties of perspectives we have been observing in play, even within the same orientation.

I suggest you manage yourself more carefully or you will come across as increasingly petulant and imperialistic of not only your own point of view but of your distinctive style of expressing your point of view.

I'm not interested in going round in circles. Your views are well known.

I want to read from the perspective of a parent of children in Nigerian universities, as Chidi describes himself.

Chidi is primarily a poet and so is not given to elaborating on his views, preferring one liners.

That's okay.

If he he chooses not to elaborate, I'll take it that he chooses not so substantiate  his views, not that the views should simply be taken as self explanatory.

toyin

Moses Ebe Ochonu

не прочитано,
26 янв. 2021 г., 13:20:3126.01.2021
– USAAfricaDialogue
"I suggest you manage yourself more carefully or you will come across as increasingly petulant and imperialistic of not only your own point of view but of your distinctive style of expressing your point of view."

But Toyin Adepoju, this is already the perception among ASUU types and I have happily embraced it as a welcome price for speaking out on behalf of our terrorized, abused, shortchanged, and voiceless students. I actually love the notoriety, if you don't know. If I had not chosen the "distinctive style" in which I have been expressing my view, do you think we would be having the debate we're now having? It is precisely because of the style I adopted that my points resonated with like minded folks and critics alike.

Meanwhile, I leave you with this one from a victim on Facebook:

Thank you for being a voice to the voiceless. You article brought me tears. It was like you telling my story. I studied to earn my PhD at UI and at a point when my abstract was delayed for over 2 years without much 'genuine' reason. Now it's in the past but I felt bruised and battered. I am gradually getting back to life but now I have no hope in our academic environment

Oluwatoyin Vincent Adepoju

не прочитано,
26 янв. 2021 г., 15:40:2926.01.2021
– usaafricadialogue
Thanks.

I know your views.

I'm also happy to read from others from.different perspectives and even the same perspective and a different contextualization.

We should not be stuck in the unhelpful binary of " if you are asking for elaboration you must be trying to discredit the view being expressed" or " you must approach  the subject in the same way as myself or you are aiding and abetting evil."

Thanks

Toyin

Oluwatoyin Vincent Adepoju

не прочитано,
26 янв. 2021 г., 19:05:0026.01.2021
– usaafricadialogue
Moses,

You get carried away at times in your critique

Your overly broad strokes and sweeping denunciations, at times uncritically presented, are not why you are responded to

From.my own petsonal view, as much as I appreciate your doggedness in critiquing negativities on the Nigerian educational system, you don't seem sensitive to the institutional extraversion you are championing.

You lament the decline of Nigerian universities as global knowledge centres but your suggested corrective blueprint does not go beyond the use of Western publishing platforms as global asessment matrices.

Is that the best we can aspire to?

Are the days of African based journals as global standard journals a thing for ever  of past history?

As much as I admire the Western educational system, particularly in its highest point of actualisation in Europe and North America, I am not inspired by the idea of being able to sealmessly cross over from a Nigerian University to US academia as a celebration of global standing, which it actually is and which you are celebrating but in a spirit that might need to be more critical.

Still formative thoughts, though.

Toyin

OLAYINKA AGBETUYI

не прочитано,
26 янв. 2021 г., 19:06:2026.01.2021
– usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Chidi.

I empathise with hordes of parents like you, my own siblings and colleagues who are being shortchanged by the system and who are stuck because they could not afford to educate their wards abroad.

Where change should begin is hitting those shortchanging the system where it hurts most: their pockets by NUC reforming the criteria for promotion to reflect the hard work done on the final products: the students.

Right now the emphasis is on how long is spent on the last post plus publications.  It should be reformed to include the number of students graduated and at what level.  Candidates for professorship should be required to have a track record of production of Phds within specified periods.  Candidates for senior lecturership must have a track record of producing Masters graduates within specified period in addition to publications.  As it is candidates can be producing for their own elevation and marking time for the next round of promotion exercise while ignoring the needs of the students and the same time making progress in their own career.

We know there are those who are doing the right thing on Nigerian university campuses among the lecturers and this is not about them.

In fact they should lead the movement for change by periodically holding placard carrying demonstrations on campus, calling for change and standing up to be counted.

OAA

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

What is there to elaborate?  I had three children in three different universities in Nigeria and I know that what I went through was not what one should wish for even his enemies.

I still have another child in another university and I know what I am going through at the moment.

Believe me, the system needs overhauling, all parents with children in the system will agree to this except if they are part of the system.

It will take a whole lot of spaces to elaborate on half of the rots going on in the public university system in Nigeria.

This, for me is not an academic exercise,  it is a statement of fact.

-Chidi Anthony Opara (CAO)

On Tuesday, 26 January 2021 at 08:58:17 UTC+1 toyin....@gmail.com wrote:

Harrow, Kenneth

не прочитано,
26 янв. 2021 г., 21:56:0326.01.2021
– usaafric...@googlegroups.com
i'm going to repeat an idea i had while finishing up my teaching in dakar. i wanted a university to university link, where digital resources (in this case literature) could be shared across campuses. there was an enormous problem getting the needed panoply of texts for the students to access, so as to be qualified to certify as knowledgeable in a given area. we were having students in dakar focus on maybe 3 books a semester, or a year, with the notion that in-depth study would have the highest value. back in michigan i might teach 10 novels a semester, 20 a year. that difference extended to most levels, or more. the faculty at msu were expected to be up on all the significant, current research on their area. the ones in dakar could never access all the journals or books, or hope to acquire anything on a comparable scale--so some took a year or more abroad to get up to speed.
this is nothing new.
but if the books were available digitally, if the journals were e-journal shared, which many many libraries were working on acquiring, or were getting free from project muse, there would be hope to do something about it.
that was not satisfying as formulated since the assumption was a one-way street of resources and information flowing one way. yet significant research was being carried out in africa, which scholars and students needed in america. there are obvious examples, such as oral literature or historical studies, but much more. there are african presses whose publications remained essentially local, and to which we had little or no access, no real knowledge about. our libraries had limited resources, couldn't acquire all those texts. there was research being carried out in african depts that carried enormous value for reading texts, even if they were not vectored through dominant theories in the west.
say i taught a course in african lit, and say that course was being taught by another prof in dakar. we could have shared time where the combined classes would meet together, with discussions and teaching shared. the value would be incalculable.
all it took would be for the deans and dept heads and others who run the money and business of the universiity, to agree to this value.
but this would go enormously far in bridging the two worlds, and eliminate one ofthe great problems, resource famine. when i taught my grad course in caribbean lit in dakar, i took copies of my books and had them photocopied by the campus where all the studennts could buy copies. that way we had enough to study. that was the first caribbean lit course taught in dakar, in english.
i couldn't make this idea work on my own; but if enough administrators could be convinced of the value i am sure it could work
ken

kenneth harrow

professor emeritus

dept of english