Thought For Today

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Apr 28, 2022, 5:15:22 AM4/28/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
Partisan politics is a practical game that revolves around a people's way of life and every partisan politics is local.

So if a politician want to succeed, he/she must be ready to play politics according to the ways of the people he is seeking their votes.

This is one of the reasons why reformers (poets, fundamental human rights activists, etc) do not get involved in partisan politics.

Political reformers do not seek to reform from inside government, because they would never get inside owing to the way partisan politics is being organized and played.

-Chidi Anthony Opara (CAO)

--
Chidi Anthony Opara is a Poet, IIM Professional Fellow, MIT Chief Data Officer Ambassador and Founder/Publisher of, www.publicinformationprojects.org)

Cornelius Hamelberg

Apr 28, 2022, 11:32:09 AM4/28/22
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

In effect, what you’re saying is that if the honest politician’s ambition is to produce change from within the den of thieves he should first have to play the rogue role of the hypocrite, i.e chameleon politics by pretending to be one of them in order to gain entry into the kabudu. But wouldn’t that be a gross miscalculation? When was it ever the case that one honest man entered the den of thieves, for example by being appointed minister of finance/ attorney-general/ minister of petroleum resources and by perseverance was able to convert the rest of the criminal gang of looters from corruption, high crime & misdemeanours, looting the treasury &  the peoples’ patrimony to being an honest & patriotic government/ cabinet/ civil service/ central bank?

Reminds me of this plaintive cry by Hugh Masakela (South Africa):  Bring It Back Home  ( please listen

They need your support

 So that they can get inside the fort

They promise that your dreams will come true

When they win, celebrate the victory…

When they get inside the fort, they don’t need you anymore

They don’t return your phone calls, they’ve got soldiers on every door,

Who will make you to go - away - they have lost their memory, they embrace the enemy

They’ve got houses overseas and they don’t want to be wasting time with anybody who was occupied with how they were freed, but the millions who died for liberty !!!

 So bring it back home to the people,  bring it back home to the land of their lives, bring it back down to the ghetto, I said bring it back down to the roots of our lives - they are running away from the places they were raised to make their graves for the VIPs that graze, so the people can’t say they deserve to be praised, denying the crimes and the violence of the times and the raping of the child…..( he goes on and on)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdRnZm9sLbM

 Which does not mean that there are no honest spiritual and political leaders. There’s always the good example of  the Prophet of Islam as role model par excellence and also e.g his disciple, Imam Ali, alaihi  salaam - and at one point we have him saying here, what you Chidi, suggest  -  in the circumstances, he found himself in, as he explains in this sermon

But I remained low when they were low and flew high when they flew high.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sermon+3+in+nahjul+balagha

There is the Biblical saying, one bad apple spoils the whole bunch

But - if I understand you rightly,  what you asr suggesting as a corollary to that is that one good apple could redeem the whole bunch of rotten apples.

How would you set about doing that, Chidi?

BTW, is it your intention to run for President?

Al- Kperogi says it’s time for an Igbo president.

When should it be time for a Bariba President? I wonder…

Zatcha ( Dally Kimoko on guitar

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Apr 28, 2022, 1:03:35 PM4/28/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
"BTW, is it your intention to run for President?"-Cornelius Hamelberg.

Mazi,

I have my eyes rather on the Presidency of PEN International.

-Chidi Anthony Opara (CAO)
--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Cornelius Hamelberg

Apr 28, 2022, 2:28:17 PM4/28/22
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

Jesus: "I'll say it again-it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of A needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God!"

I suppose that it should be easier for you to be elected President of Pen International than to be elected next Igbo President of Nigeria or President of the United States of Africa.  Just when I'd like to start boasting about the people I have in high places, you  wanna rob me of the chance to  sing the praises of, " My friend Chidi, the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria!

How active are you in the Pen International - Nigeria section? I ask because in the much rumoured coming wahala in Nigeria it’s important that the Nigerian sector of  Pen International is strengthened, so that if they detain Chidi all he has to do is to holler - Falola & Harrow will come to the rescue immediately.

The last time some of us were genuinely worried about the human rights fate of a writer was the case of Okey Ndibe. Do you remember when he was arrested on arrival at Lagos airport? Of course, if ditto happened with the likes of e.g. al-Kperogi there are those who would be very happy, see it as a long time coming and that he had been asking for it. I  for instance wouldn’t hesitate to say  “crucify him!” - he deserves it.

 We’ve got to be very careful about what we say and what we wish for, dear Chidi

This was said about somebody else: " There is no more mercy in him than there is milk in a male tiger."

Current archives at http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue
Early archives at http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Apr 28, 2022, 5:20:38 PM4/28/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
"How active are you in the Pen International - Nigeria section?"-Cornelius Hamelberg

A Nigerian living in Nigeria like me cannot be a member of PEN International without being a member of PEN International (Nigeria Centre).

As for being active, I am a member of the "Writers For Peace Committee (WfPC)"

Thanks.

Current archives at http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue
Early archives at http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.

Chidi Anthony Opara is a Poet, IIM Professional Fellow, MIT Chief Data Officer Ambassador and Founder/Publisher of, www.publicinformationprojects.org)

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Cornelius Hamelberg

Apr 29, 2022, 1:30:38 PM4/29/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Chidi,

I suppose that you are a member of The Association of Nigerian Authors

image.png

Since this photo was taken your output has risen tremendously, hasn't it?

Although most probably, not every member of that association is interested in joining Nigeria's PEN section, in your case, for your own sake and for Nigeria's sake,

as the relatively prominent person that you are, I think that you ought to, and join Amentsry International and Human Rights Watch too so that when you jump out of

the frying pan into the fire  - or the other way round, should the fire ( your favourite word " miscreant"/ "miscreants") jump on you e.g. in a specially selected one-to-one

operation Python Dance No 3  on our Chidi as their ( the miscreants) special target  - just as I said before, all you'd have to do is to holler  so that Ojogbon Falola will

hear you in Texas, Alagba Harrow in Michigan and peremptorily they will be doing all they can for your immediate and unconditional release so that we don't have to

pass a slew of sanctions that will result in the demise of the naira. etc etc etc.  - and the demise of the naira would have catastrophic consequences that even the miscreants would

not like to see.

Current archives at http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue
Early archives at http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.

Chidi Anthony Opara is a Poet, IIM Professional Fellow, MIT Chief Data Officer Ambassador and Founder/Publisher of, www.publicinformationprojects.org)

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Apr 29, 2022, 5:49:32 PM4/29/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
"I ​suppose that you are a member of The Association of Nigerian Authors."-Cornelius Hamelberg.

I suspended my membership a few years ago for personal reasons.

Don't worry about me Mazi, government officials here don't read poetry.

-Chidi Anthony Opara (CAO)

Current archives at http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue
Early archives at http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.

Chidi Anthony Opara is a Poet, IIM Professional Fellow, MIT Chief Data Officer Ambassador and Founder/Publisher of, www.publicinformationprojects.org)

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Apr 30, 2022, 9:08:47 AM4/30/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
APC 2023 Presidential election aspirants say that they would continue with President Buhari's programmes If they win.

Those are their manifestos.

I hope that their supporters and intending voters are hearing that clearly.

What this means is another four years(even eight years) of the present situation.

If Nigerians don't want that, they should speak with their votes.

If they vote for any these people promising to continue with the President's programmes, that would be an endorsement of the President's programmes and the continuation of same.

Thank you all for your time.

Cornelius Hamelberg

Apr 30, 2022, 10:20:54 AM4/30/22
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

Chidi,

You say that  “ government officials here don't read poetry” and as if the truth is that they don't read anything you then go ahead and write what sounds like poetry to me,  your prophetic political poem titled eight more years of stagnation, don’t vote for such people. Interesting enough for them to identify you as an enemy.

You’ve heard of Muhammad's Dead Poets Society

“'Twas in another lifetime

One of toil and blood

When blackness was a virtue

The road was full of mud..."

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

May 1, 2022, 2:04:29 PM5/1/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
Sex with animals is called bestiality.

Apart from it being morally wrong, it is also unlawful.

It is however not usually for ritual purposes, it is mainly one of the cravings of twisted minds.

Twisted minds in Europe and America for example, have been Practising beastiality, albeit unlawfully.

Anyone Practising bestiality in Nigeria risks jail term if caught, terrible diseases and above all, the wrath of God.

Oluwatoyin Adepoju

May 1, 2022, 2:10:10 PM5/1/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Well done.

Inspirational context?

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

May 1, 2022, 6:54:01 PM5/1/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
"Inspirational context?"-Oluwatoyin

None I can think of for now.

-CAO.

On Sunday, May 1, 2022, Oluwatoyin Adepoju <ovde...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well done.

Inspirational context?

On Sun, May 1, 2022, 19:04 Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM <chidi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sex with animals is called bestiality.

Apart from it being morally wrong, it is also unlawful.

It is however not usually for ritual purposes, it is mainly one of the cravings of twisted minds.

Twisted minds in Europe and America for example, have been Practising beastiality, albeit unlawfully.

Anyone Practising bestiality in Nigeria risks jail term if caught, terrible diseases and above all, the wrath of God.

Thank you all for your time.

-Chidi Anthony Opara (CAO)

--
Chidi Anthony Opara is a Poet, IIM Professional Fellow, MIT Chief Data Officer Ambassador and Founder/Publisher of, www.publicinformationprojects.org)

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

May 2, 2022, 10:05:28 AM5/2/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
Why are Nigerian youths so desperate to "trend" on social media, so much that they do despicable things to achieve that, which most times is unnecessary?

A Nigerian girl who most likely did not have sex with a dog, but because Lagos girls sex with dogs story is trending on social media, came out to claim that she had sex with a dog, just to "catch cruise"(trend).

Now the serious backlash has come and she is denying having had sex with a dog and begging everyone to forgive her and help her beg her boyfriend, who she said had left her.

Problem is that most people are not believing her, but I am, because I know the disposition of these insecure youths who think that they must "trend" on social media to be relevant and the mostly despicable length they go to achieve that.

Thank you for your time.

Oluwatoyin Adepoju

May 2, 2022, 10:36:54 AM5/2/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
God have. mercy!

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

May 11, 2022, 5:17:00 AM5/11/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
Because of our limitations, we don't understand that there are people who don't want to be rich, they are just happy being comfortable.

In our limitations also, we imagine that everyone wants to be a politician (local council chair, governor, etc), we don't understand that there are persons who do not want to be all these.

Now the truth;

As long as humanity remains on earth, people will be reading the works of creative writers (poets, proseists, dramatists) for example.

Now tell me;

How long does a governor, president, etc last in the memory of humanity?

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

May 14, 2022, 6:24:05 AM5/14/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
Yes religion can activate the beast in any human.

Love, hate, wealth, sociocultural/political ideologies can also do that.

All of the above, including religion can also activate the best  in any human, depending on the way a particular society is organized and run.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

May 15, 2022, 8:45:24 AM5/15/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
Demobilization is harder to achieve than mobilization, both are however necessities in agitations.

During mobilization, strategists should also build into the exercise, strategies for demobilization.

If these strategies are not built in, fifth columnists would hijack the mobilized, resulting into a total loss of control by the original mobilizers and making the inevitable demobilization hard or even impossible.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

May 21, 2022, 6:22:38 AM5/21/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
Zoning is tricky.

In 1999, the Southwest wanted a Yoruba as president to compensate for the lost of "June 12", they got Obasanjo, though a Yoruba, but not what they wanted.

In 2011, the Ijaws got Jonathan to quieten "resource control". Even though he is an Ijaw, but he isn't the type of person they wanted as president.

Now, take heed that(as Nigerian lawyers normally say), if Igbos are not careful, they may not get what they want.

There are lots of Igbos in the political arena that can be made president, whose political leanings are actually detrimental to core Igbo interests.

Thank you all for your time.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

May 25, 2022, 12:33:14 PM5/25/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
The EFCC laid a siege on Rochas Okorocha's Abuja residence, hoping that he would voluntarily submit to lawful arrest, but he didn't, which meant that he resisted lawful arrest.

So, they removed a part of the roof of his house, got in through there and arrested him.

That was "reasonable force" and any law enforcement agency any where in the civilized world would have done that if faced with similar situation.

That was a standard law enforcement procedure in that particular situation.

Victor Okafor

May 25, 2022, 8:14:20 PM5/25/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
I am not a partisan when it comes to Nigerian politics. I am neither a friend of Governor Rochas Okorocha nor a political supporter of his. That said, does anyone think that EFCC is above the law? That whole operation by EFCC operatives at Okorocha's residence yesterday looked questionable. It looked like an instance of a governmental abuse of its coercive powers. It is important for governmental organs, regardless of their objectives to not only act lawfully but also be seen as acting lawfully. We cannot afford to be paying mere lip service to the Rule of Law.

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Sincerely,

Victor O. Okafor, Ph.D.
Professor and Head
Department of Africology and African American Studies
Eastern Michigan University

Toyin Falola

May 25, 2022, 8:25:20 PM5/25/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Beloved Okafor:

Did Okoracha observe the rule of law when he was stealing state money? But let me revise my statement by saying it is an allegation that he stole money.

But while would a former Governor not surrender himself to the law enforcers and clear his name?

This case from all sides reveal what is wrong with the state and its laws.

It happened at Epe to Ambode and the EFCC was over-powered by the crowd.

Is the crowd observing the rule of law?

TF

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

May 27, 2022, 12:22:10 AM5/27/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
When did PDP, on whose platform Peter Obi was Vice-presidential candidate in 2019, start being bad?

Obi left APGA on which platform he ruled Anambra State as Governor, what was the reason for leaving? "Recent developments"?

He spent at least ten years in PDP before leaving, what really changed?

Were those "recent developments" that made him to leave not present in the party before and after 2019?

Or is it a case of entitlement mentality (I must get what I want or I leave)?

Why are we so simple minded that we are easily hoodwinked by(political)smart fellows.

2015 is here again.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

May 28, 2022, 6:50:26 PM5/28/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
What is the ideological plank on which the Labour Party in Nigeria stands?

If it is what it should be, why is the Labour Party in Nigeria providing safe heaven for opportunistic politicians whose ideological leaning does not match what a Labour Party should stand for?

If the ideological plank on which the Labour Party in Nigeria stands is consistent with what the ideological plank of a Labour Party, why has the party not synergized with the working class in Nigeria through their Central union since the formation of the party a few years ago?

If those joining the Labour Party in Nigeria now are genuinely in sympathy with the tenets of what a Labour Party should be, why were they not in the party before now, why joining now that their former capitalist leaning political parties have shortchanged them in their quest for elective political offices?

The Labour Party in Nigeria should not be one of those parties that take rejects from the capitalist leaning political parties.

Thank you for your time.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

May 29, 2022, 7:16:17 AM5/29/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
(1)When did "buying of positions" start in Nigerian politics?

(2) When did the new saint of Nigerian politics join politics?

(3)Has he held high political positions like governorship and Vice presidential candidacy since he joined politics?

(4)If (3) is yes, did he buy those positions? If no, then how come that he is the only person in Nigeria that does not buy political positions?

(5)Can't there also be others like him?

(6)Why are we not giving others, whom we don't have substantial evidence of "position buying" against, benefits of doubts?

Oluwatoyin Adepoju

May 29, 2022, 8:18:06 AM5/29/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Chidi.

Why not be explicit about your veiled reference to Peter Obi?

I would also be interested if posted such explicit critique on Facebook. If you do, please tag me. I'm keen on seeing reactions to that.

Thanks

Toyin

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

May 29, 2022, 12:08:42 PM5/29/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Oluwatoyin,

Being "explicit" here was not necessary.

The referenced post is also on Facebook and LinkedIn and since you and I are connected on those social media, it would appear on your news feeds anytime soon.

What could possibly be the reactions you are expecting if not the usual largely hysteric fixation on pseudo sainthood.

A few discerning ones would however ponder and digest the real intention of the post and would not likely make comments.

Thanks.

-CAO.

On Sun, May 29, 2022, 12:16 Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM <chidi...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Oluwatoyin Adepoju

May 30, 2022, 2:53:47 PM5/30/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Did you identify Obi in those posts as the person you are referring to?

A significant no of Igbos seem to have taken him as their Presidential representative.

I'm keen on the back and forth your open referencing could inspire.

Thanks

Toyin

Current archives at http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue
Early archives at http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara is a Poet, IIM Professional Fellow, MIT Chief Data Officer Ambassador and Founder/Publisher of, www.publicinformationprojects.org)

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jun 1, 2022, 6:51:49 AM6/1/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
Supporters of Peter Obi should start now to process the political reality of 2023, which is that the Labour Party which Peter Obi leads presently is not going to win and form the national government in 2023.

It would either be APC or PDP.

Wishes do not translate to electoral victories.

Politics(realpolitik)is practical.

Anger at this post would not invalidate its truism.

Thank you.

Tobe Nneli

Jun 1, 2022, 8:29:22 AM6/1/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
I wonder why people are making serious efforts to "remind" those supporting Mr Peter Obi that he will lose.

Winning is important to politicians no doubt, but elections are also opportunities to read the mind of citizens. Given that Mr Peter Obi has led an issue-based campaign thus far, every single vote that he gets during elections is an opportunity for the so called "confident-to-win" political parties to understand the yearnings of Nigerians and adapt them to their governance plans, if they win.

People should be allowed to use their votes to indicate the type of government they desire even if naysayers think they don't have the numbers to remove those responsible for the sorry state of Nigeria.

Its all a matter of time...

Thank you.

Tobe Nneli

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jun 1, 2022, 11:44:36 AM6/1/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Tobe Nneli,

Instead of hoping against the dictates of hope(day dreaming), let Obi supporters study the route through which Goodluck Jonathan, an Ijaw from the Southsouth region became President of Nigeria.

-Chidi Anthony Opara (CAO)

On Wed, 1 Jun 2022, 11:51 Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM, <chidi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Supporters of Peter Obi should start now to process the political reality of 2023, which is that the Labour Party which Peter Obi leads presently is not going to win and form the national government in 2023.

It would either be APC or PDP.

Wishes do not translate to electoral victories.

Politics(realpolitik)is practical.

Anger at this post would not invalidate its truism.

Thank you.

-Chidi Anthony Opara (CAO)

--
Chidi Anthony Opara is a Poet, IIM Professional Fellow, MIT Chief Data Officer Ambassador and Founder/Publisher of, www.publicinformationprojects.org)

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Tobe Nneli

Jun 1, 2022, 6:38:56 PM6/1/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Oga Chidi,

Goodluck became President by chance. Is that what you mean? I hope not. If not for the unfortunate incident of President Yar'adua's death, I doubt Goodluck would have become President either through "doctrine of necessity" in 2010 or even be PDP's presidential candidate in 2011 nor 2015.

Peter Obi's supporters should take their chance with him. It is within their rights to express their preference using their votes, if they believe he can do the job.

Politicians can continue with their calculations (regarding who will win/lose) which most times is about whom (amongst them) will get what, when and how. Citizens should freely support anybody they like!

Tobe

On Wed, 1 Jun 2022, 16:44 Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM, <chidi...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jun 1, 2022, 11:15:18 PM6/1/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
"Goodluck became President by chance"

That "chance" came about because he was Vice-president.

I agree with you that everyone have the right to chart any political course of his/her choice, but you should also agree with me that those who feel that they would be affected one way or the other by such action and who feel that such course is a wrong one also have the right to speak up, it is called freedom of speech (as if you don't know already).

In all, politics is a game players play to win, nobody plays politics to loose (even though there must be loosers)or just "to make a statement".

Obi's natural political habitat is PDP or APC, even when we were in APGA, I got the feeling then that one day he and others like him would leave and he left.

If what is being thrown up currently is true, why was Obi not in the Labour Party from the onset? Was the Labour Party registered this year.

Obi most likely wanted to be Atiku's running mate again, but there were "current developments" which made that venture an unattractive, even a risky venture.

One of those "recent developments" was that Ohaneze Ndi Igbo and some radical vocal Igbo groups started issuing threats that any Igbo that accepted the position of running mate would be ostracized.

Then, there was IPOB in the background, ready to tag anyone a "saboteur"(sabo), with all the implications.

Obi, the astute businessman with "oso ahia" survival instinct, sensing that he could never beat Atiku's and Wike's financial war chests, and not wanting to risk ostracization and IPOB problems beat a retreat and strolled into the waiting hands of Labour Party, where the presidential ticket is waiting for anyone for the asking.

Obi is however too wise to believe that he would win the presidential election next year under the Labour Party.

He would beat a hasty retreat to his natural political habitat immediately after the election.

Thank you.

-CAO.
Tobe Nneli,

Current archives at http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue
Early archives at http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara is a Poet, IIM Professional Fellow, MIT Chief Data Officer Ambassador and Founder/Publisher of, www.publicinformationprojects.org)

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jun 9, 2022, 7:59:08 AM6/9/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
Some people's moral concepts are always tailored to circumstances and situations that are either favourable or unfavourable to them.

When it is favourable to them, they explain it away with some moral sugar coatings.

When it is unfavourable to them, they come up with emotional blackmails like accusation of "betrayal", etc.

The paradox is that while passing themselves off as liberal minded, they force down these subjective moral concepts down the throat of others and label anyone who refuse to accept these subjective moral concepts as "bad".

Thank you for your time.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jun 11, 2022, 3:56:51 PM6/11/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
The far right populism which Obi, Sowore and others(including even Kola Abiola) mouth daily are just for the purpose of political correctness.

They don't believe in those rhetorics.

If they do, they would  have been doing their political mobilizations on the basis of that ideology even in non election years, but they don't.

They cannot in fact be called partisan politicians in the real sense of it.

stars news

Jun 12, 2022, 12:26:19 AM6/12/22
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Hello ,
We  are  international business office offer quality and mixed services such as opening a bank account in 300 countries and also opening an online company in some countries and there are offers of diamonds and gold with other modern products and we do not forget also the issue of SBLC / BG  and its monetization, more information on our website:
https://www.ufness.com

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jun 12, 2022, 10:37:35 AM6/12/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
The problem has always been how to coordinate the masses of Nigeria who live in poverty to take power from the(few in number)ruling class.

It is not even only in Nigeria, it is a worldwide problem.

The masses simply lack the coordination needed to take power even though they are in the majority.

The few occasions in which the people rose to effect change in leadership(rulership actually), they were coordinated by disgruntled members of the ruling class.

Such changes of leadership (sorry again, rulership)ended up placing power in the hands of a section of the ruling class(hitherto disgruntled).

So far, uprisings that have been witnessed(including far right populist hooplas)have been intra-class skirmishes in which smart disgruntled members recruit and incite the people and pass such skirmishes off as "masses revolts".

In some cases, they even attempt to pass off these intra-class skirmishes as "revolutions".

Shallow intellectuals are of course available to give unmerited credibility to such "masses revolts" and/or "revolutions".

Thank you.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jun 16, 2022, 12:08:49 PM6/16/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
Rev. Fr. Mbaka's outburst on Peter Obi was wrong, unjustifiable. The money is his(Peter Obi's), so the decision to give and/or not to give is his prerogative.

Even if he stole the money, since there is no substantial evidence that he did, the money is his own and he only reserves the right to use it(the money) however he wishes.

Peter Obi's response to Mbaka is however, civil and strategic.

His uncouth supporters on social media should learn from this civil and strategic response from their principal.

Obi obviously did not want to have a spat with a Catholic priest and by extension the Catholic church (when the chips are down, the church would go with a "prince of the church").

Mbaka's strength is on the fact that he controls the minds of millions of people, majority of these people are not on social media and would do whatever the priest ask them to do, they believe that he is God's representative on earth and hears directly from him. These people don't brook any contrary viewpoint.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jun 21, 2022, 8:28:41 AM6/21/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
"Structure" in Nigeria political parlance means political structure, that is political party structure in a political party democracy.

The Nigerian democracy is patterned on political party structure.

It is the political party that presents candidates and own the votes cast.

It is the political party with majority in our bicameral national parliament that helps the president (candidate of the party), to push through his/her Programmes.

You may not like a reality and may even quarrel with and insult those trying to make you see the reality, but it doesn't change the fact of that reality.

Finally and for the umpteenth time, notion of knowledge is not knowledge.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jun 23, 2022, 5:04:48 AM6/23/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
Didn't we talk about change in 2014/2015?

Didn't we say that the person who was to lead that change was a man of integrity?

Do I need to tell you the situation now?

Change is desirable but discerning stakeholders like myself want to know the nature of the change, the pedigree of the leader(not just personal integrity and frugality, but the political will and sagacity)and the avenue through which the change would come.

I lost interest in the 2014/2015 change because I did not see how a supposed good man would accept help(financial and otherwise)from unscrupulous characters to become president.

I like to operate from the deep. Apologies if that is an offence.

Thank you all for your time.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jun 26, 2022, 1:29:34 PM6/26/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
The problem of Nigeria is not identifying the problems. The problems have been identified long ago.

The problem of Nigeria is not also how to solve the problems.

There is a plethora of "what to do" and "how to do" documentations in the archives.

The archives of the "National conferences", public and private seminars, etc are brimming with "what to do" and "how to do".

Nigeria is at crossroads now, what is needed now is not rhetorics, sanctimonious epistles and academic postulations on "what to do" and "how to do".

What Nigeria needs at this point in time is someone with the WILL POWER to execute most of the already identified "what to do" and "how to do".

This WILL POWER is the missing equation in public administration in Nigeria.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jul 3, 2022, 6:08:47 AM7/3/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
There is absolutely a need for a reasonable answer.

You cannot promise to take us to the promised land(Biafra), and midway, you abandon the journey, leave us stranded and when we have managed to get our bearing and start tracing our way back, you appear again and start to introduce a different journey.

Let us know what happened to the earlier journey before we start another one.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jul 5, 2022, 5:45:14 AM7/5/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
People say that they want to engineer a paradigm shift from the old order to a new order in Nigeria, yet they are lining behind a man in his 60s who have been part of the political establishment as a former governor. They say that he is the best of the bad( by the bad, they mean the two frontline presidential election contestants).

Meanwhile, there are other presidential election contestants, who are in their 40s and 50s. These contestants have never been part of the political establishment and moreover, they have great ideas.

If really you are engineering a paradigm shift from the old order to a new order, then why not seek out one of these other less known contestants and make him known (a frontline contestant).

This best of the bad narrative does not make sense.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jul 11, 2022, 1:15:52 PM7/11/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
In 1979, Obafemi Awolowo (Christian from South), had Philip Umeadi(Christain from South) as running mate.

No alarms were raised

Awolowo came second in that election.

That was when we were still making efforts at nationhood.

Thank you all.

Emmanuel Udogu

Jul 11, 2022, 3:33:14 PM7/11/22
to usaafricadialogue

Rabiu Kwankwaso (on Arise News last night) expressed his bewilderment that a presidential candidate, in choosing his running mate, would juxtapose the political climate in Nigeria in 1993 against that of 2023 in light of the saliency of the politicization of religion in our contemporary politics.

 Paradoxically, it was the same candidate who claimed to have recommended Vice President Osinbajo to President Buhari because of his conviction that such an arrangement (of a Muslim –Christian ticket) was good for Nigeria given the religio-ethnic character of the country.

Nawao Naija! As I see-am, Na our youths and women go save us dis time-o!”

Ike Udogu

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jul 11, 2022, 4:58:34 PM7/11/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Emmanuel,

Are we progressing (in our quest for nationhood) or retrogressing?

In 1979, we voted(second place), a Christian-Christain, South-South candidacy.

In 1993, we voted a Muslim-Muslim candidacy.

In 2022, we now abhor a Muslim-Muslim candidacy.

Abubakar Dangiwa Umar, a Fulani lost his commission in the army in 1994 because he insisted that an injustice done to Abiola, a Yoruba must be revised.

Earlier before that in 1966, Fajuyi, a Yoruba, refused to surrender Ironsi, an Igbo in Ibadan, both were consequently murdered.

What happens now are insistences on ethnicity advantages, even by the Youths you seem to be building the hope for nationhood on.

Thank you.

-CAO.

On Mon, Jul 11, 2022 at 1:15 PM Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM <chidi...@gmail.com> wrote:
In 1979, Obafemi Awolowo (Christian from South), had Philip Umeadi(Christain from South) as running mate.

No alarms were raised

Awolowo came second in that election.

That was when we were still making efforts at nationhood.

Thank you all.

-Chidi Anthony Opara (CAO)

--
Chidi Anthony Opara is a Poet, IIM Professional Fellow, MIT Chief Data Officer Ambassador and Founder/Publisher of, www.publicinformationprojects.org)

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Ibukunolu. A. Babajide

Jul 12, 2022, 4:11:21 AM7/12/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
CAO,

Awolowo out of 19 states won 6 clear states all contiguous in the South West. Shagari won 12 because, he a Muslim chose Alex Ekwueme, a Christian!

The zeal to rid Nigeria of the sad military rule made Nigerians to tolerate the Abiola/Kingibe ticket in 1993.

It will not work in 2023. Not with the country at the peak of its ethnic and religious polarization!

Cheers.

IBK

Sent from IBK’s iPhone X Max

On 11 Jul 2022, at 22:58, Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM <chidi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Current archives at http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue
Early archives at http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/usaafricadialogue/CABTLsggNneg8-uxres5Qeb60ZjP%2BVA8q%2Bm92NyMpvsS03RuLoQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jul 12, 2022, 6:59:42 AM7/12/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
IBK,
Awolowo came second in that election. Shagari didn't win just because his running mate was a Christian.

There is always a reason to do something, be it in 1993 or in 2023. Nothing in this context is impossible.

Anyway, would you have considered a Muslim-Ogun or Amadioha adherent pairing a fair deal?

-CAO.

On Tuesday, July 12, 2022, Ibukunolu. A. Babajide <ibk...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Ibukunolu A Babajide

Jul 12, 2022, 7:55:19 AM7/12/22
to USAAfricaDialogue
CAO,

You digress and engage in a frolic of reason.

1979 despite the urge to get the military out of government a Christian-Christian ticket did not fly.
1999 - 2022 after years of the Nigerian brand of democracy a Muslim-Muslim ticket too will not fly.

In case you are unaware, a Yoruba's traditional religion is woven into the fabric of the culture, a Muslim who goes by the name Sangodele comes from a long line of Sango worshippers.

IBK

_________________________
Ibukunolu Alao Babajide (IBK)

AN ENGLISH NURSERY RHYME

The law locks up the man or woman

Who steals the goose from off the common

But leaves the greater villain loose

Who steals the common from off the goose

The law demands that we atone

When we take things that we do not own

But leaves the lords and ladies fine

Who take things that are yours and mine

The poor and wretched don’t escape

If they conspire the law to break

This must be so but they endure

Those who conspire to make the law

The law locks up the man or woman

Who steals the goose from off the common

And geese will still a common lack

Till they go and steal it back

 -        Anonymous (circa 1764)

[...]

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jul 17, 2022, 10:54:29 AM7/17/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
Adeleke's win in the just concluded Osun state governorship election is as a result of a long painstaking strategic building of structure.

His support base is not just virtual, it is rather largely grassroots.

Moreover, his structure is built in the premises of a major political party that has local, state and national structures and was once in government both at the state and national levels.

Let me emphasis that every politics is local.

Let me also emphasis that politics has its own dynamics and imperatives that must be adhered to if one must be successful in it.

Thank you all for your time.