The Anniversary Of Nothing (Poem) (Repost)

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM, CDOA

Sep 30, 2023, 2:57:15 PM9/30/23
to USA African Dialogue Series
By Chidi Anthony Opara

Feminine fingers.
Fondling.
Flabby phallus.
Luscious love pod.

Her fondling failed
To fire his libido,
To flare his flabby phallus.
Her luscious love pod
Agape,
Failed
To tug him to turgidity.

Her fluid flowed,
His libido failed.
He spewed no semen
And sired no scions,
Their nuptial not consummated.

Years of connubial pretence
And conjugal duties not performed,
The celebrations of impotency,
The anniversaries of nothing.

(Poem presented as social service, all rights reserved)

--
Chidi Anthony Opara is a Poet, Professional Fellow of Institute Of Information Management Africa, MIT Chief Data Officer Ambassador, Registered Freight Forwarder and Editorial Adviser at News Updates.

More about him here: https://independent.academia.edu/ChidiAnthonyOpara

Toyin Falola

Sep 30, 2023, 4:06:22 PM9/30/23
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

What happens to polygamy/polygyny?

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM, CDOA

Oct 1, 2023, 6:06:38 AM10/1/23
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Oga TF, Gloria,

The point the poem is trying to make with the metaphor is that the marriage was not consummated as a result of the lack of capacity of one partner, so the anniversary is an anniversary of nothing.
-CAO

What happens to polygamy/polygyny?

Current archives at http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue
Early archives at http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM, CDOA

Toyin Falola

Oct 1, 2023, 6:17:08 AM10/1/23
to USAAfric...@googlegroups.com

I understand the poem perfectly well, and I have developed the technique in Etches on Fresh Waters.

I threw a challenge: suppose there is polygamy, what happens?

TF

What happens to polygamy/polygyny?

To subscribe to this group, send an email to
USAAfricaDial...@googlegroups.com
[...]

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/usaafricadialogue/CABTLsggtK0LW84CHy2BL%3DtSEtjpvf6bFA3VTeLVf3xS3Ax5uPA%40mail.gmail.com.

Emeagwali, Gloria (History)

Oct 1, 2023, 2:08:09 PM10/1/23
to Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM, CDOA, usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Chidi

In fact this is a beautiful
poem. It is one of the best, stylistically,
structurally, and methodologically speaking.
 Alliteration is successfully infused into
the verse.Vocabulary is well chosen
and sophisticated.The rhythm 🎵
and rhyming are masterfully
accomplished.

This poem reminds me
of  Ousmane Sembene’s “ Xala,” although
the context is  somewhat different.
But at the end of the day, it is about
erectile dysfunction.

Professor Gloria Emeagwali
Prof. of History/African Studies, CCSU
africahistory.net; vimeo.com/ gloriaemeagwali
Recipient of the 2014 Distinguished Research
Excellence Award, Univ. of Texas at Austin;
2019 Distinguished Africanist Award
New York African Studies Association

EXTERNAL EMAIL: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click any links or open any attachments unless you trust the sender and know the content is safe.

Current archives at http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue
Early archives at http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/usaafricadialogue/CABTLsgjKuinuC4qMy2P%2BEoc%2BNA_5xwa1AHzXEHUNMrdniv8r7A%40mail.gmail.com.

Emeagwali, Gloria (History)

Oct 1, 2023, 2:08:09 PM10/1/23
to Toyin Falola, USAAfric...@googlegroups.com
I got that but my point remains.

By the way I don’t see how polygamy
will solve the problem.Did you mean
polyandry?

Professor Gloria Emeagwali
Prof. of History/African Studies, CCSU
africahistory.net; vimeo.com/ gloriaemeagwali
Recipient of the 2014 Distinguished Research
Excellence Award, Univ. of Texas at Austin;
2019 Distinguished Africanist Award
New York African Studies Association

Oct 1, 2023, 5:02:51 PM10/1/23
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Dear Professor Gloria:

Falola is not talking about polyandry. He knows well that an impotent man will not do the job whether he is with one woman or multiple women. He is not talking about the women having multiple husbands to have children.  Falola is challenging us to see some of the hidden ways polygamy works to produce children. He wants us to consider that in a polygamous home when the man is impotent (the man knows it and the wives know it), the women can help themselves to pregnancy by sleeping with other men. This is why he is invoking polygamy. There are multiple stories about this practice in Nigeria, tales about the hidden weapons of wives frustrated by weak penises. Often these straying women do their thing discreetly to maintain their dignity and that of their husbands.

This “hidden practice or weapon” can also happen in monogamous families. But the issue might be more prevalent in large polygamous homes where the women wait for a long time to get to their turns to sleep with their husbands. The practice of sleeping with other men in some cases would have been well habituated before impotency starts.

Falola is only messing up with our brains. He wants us to go beyond the ordinary or usual ways we think about the production of children in marriages. For him, the poem does not point to this fact before announcing fruitlessness, childlessness in the marriage. There is more than one way to be fruitful in a marriage. Thanks for your attention.

Nimi Wariboko

What happens to polygamy/polygyny?

Current archives at http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue
Early archives at http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

cornelius...@gmail.com

Oct 1, 2023, 5:03:05 PM10/1/23
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

Glorious Gloria
Beauty and the Beast
Anti-climax:
"But at the end of the day, it is about
erectile dysfunction."

What happens to polygamy/polygyny?

Current archives at http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue
Early archives at http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara is a Poet, Professional Fellow of Institute Of Information Management Africa, MIT Chief Data Officer Ambassador, Registered Freight Forwarder and Editorial Adviser at News Updates.

More about him here: https://independent.academia.edu/ChidiAnthonyOpara

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

cornelius...@gmail.com

Oct 1, 2023, 5:03:05 PM10/1/23
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Polygamy, not poly anything else

This answer ought to satisfy all questions about poly-g :

May be an image of 1 person and text

Emeagwali, Gloria (History)

Oct 1, 2023, 6:12:27 PM10/1/23
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
That's indeed a great new  angle.
 Food for thought.

Merci.  Thank you.

And the word "merci"  just reminded me of a joke my father told me about
"mercy"   with respect to  a Christian congregation, namely, that
one parishioner revolted and exclaimed in indignation that  since
God had Mercy and  Christ had Mercy, he is not interested in
 Mercy anymore.

Professor Gloria Emeagwali
History Department, Central Connecticut State University
www.africahistory.net
Gloria Emeagwali's Documentaries
2014 Distinguished Research Excellence Award in African Studies
 University of Texas at Austin
2019   Distinguished Africanist Award
New York African Studies Association
Founding Co -Chair. Sengbe Pieh AMISTAD Committee
Founding Coordinator, African Studies, CCSU

Oct 2, 2023, 8:27:05 AM10/2/23
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

Re-

“.Feminine fingers.

Fondling.

Flabby phallus.

Luscious love pod.

Her fondling failed

To fire his libido,

To flare his flabby phallus.

Her luscious love pod

Agape,

Failed

To tug him to turgidity.” etc

Culminating in

The celebrations of impotency,

The anniversaries of nothing.”

There’s no harm for even a feminist (a sexually satisfied, not a sexually starved and sexually frustrated one) viewing that kind of poem about somebody’s wedding anniversary  as “a beautiful poem.”

She says that he poem reminds her of  Ousmane Sembene’s  awesome “ Xala,” -” although the context is  somewhat different.But at the end of the day, it is about

erectile dysfunction.” ( The poor woman, her luscious lovepod forever agape, wanting...

Inexplicably the poem is funny and at the same time inexorably tragic , whether it’s about someone 63rd wedding anniversary or somebody’s 63rd Independence Anniversary,

On the opposite spiritual slope

How wonderful if instead of all this gloom and doom we the Romantics  would  celebrate the rites of spring - the Season of May with this kind of carefree enthusiasm and abandon

“We’re fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance” (Japanese Proverb

The poem reminds me of this excerpt from The Waste Land by T.S. Eliot :

“ I think we are in rats’ alley

Where the dead men lost their bones.

  ‘What is that noise?’

                          The wind under the door.

‘What is that noise now? What is the wind doing?’

                       Nothing again nothing.

                                                        ‘Do

‘You know nothing? Do you see nothing? Do you remember

‘Nothing?’

   I remember

Those are pearls that were his eyes.

‘Are you alive, or not? Is there nothing in your head?’

Concerning what Ojogbon said (“ I understand the poem perfectly well, and I have developed the technique in Etches on Fresh Waters.”) I’d just like to inform you 'all that

ETCHES ON FRESH WATERS  is my Yoruba Bible and according to my last will and testament it’s a family heirloom.

Nuff said