Today's Quote

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 6, 2022, 11:40:02 PM8/6/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
Government is not the only inhibitor of free speech. Most people hate it when they are even justifiably at the receiving end of free speech.

-Chidi Anthony Opara (CAO)

--
Chidi Anthony Opara is a Poet, IIM Professional Fellow, MIT Chief Data Officer Ambassador and Founder/Publisher of, www.publicinformationprojects.org)

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 16, 2022, 4:24:14 AM8/16/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
Don't judge people by their religious and/or political viewpoints. Like opium, religion and politics have a way of changing people.

Cornelius Hamelberg

Aug 16, 2022, 5:26:14 PM8/16/22
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Don't judge people?
How do you like this, Chidi?

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 16, 2022, 7:13:13 PM8/16/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Mazi Cornelius,

I don't believe in "don't judge people".

How would correction take place without first identifying and condemning what was done wrong?

The actions of identifying, condemning and then correcting are judgemental.

-CAO.
--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Cornelius Hamelberg

Aug 16, 2022, 7:33:43 PM8/16/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
You're right, Chidi !

AS T.S said "criticism is as inevitable as breathing"  - and that includes reacting to Rushdie's Satanic Verses...

I have been exercising my right to be judgemental, O, so judgmental going through this:

Enough to give In Excelsis G  a hard time...

On Wed, 17 Aug 2022 at 01:13, Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM <chidi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Mazi Cornelius,

I don't believe in "don't judge people".

How would correction take place without first identifying and condemning what was done wrong?

The actions of identifying, condemning and then correcting are judgemental.

-CAO.

On Tuesday, August 16, 2022, Cornelius Hamelberg <cornelius...@gmail.com> wrote:
Don't judge people?
How do you like this, Chidi?

On Tuesday, 16 August 2022 at 10:24:14 UTC+2 chidi...@gmail.com wrote:
Don't judge people by their religious and/or political viewpoints. Like opium, religion and politics have a way of changing people.

-Chidi Anthony Opara (CAO)

--
Chidi Anthony Opara is a Poet, IIM Professional Fellow, MIT Chief Data Officer Ambassador and Founder/Publisher of, www.publicinformationprojects.org)

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara is a Poet, IIM Professional Fellow, MIT Chief Data Officer Ambassador and Founder/Publisher of, www.publicinformationprojects.org)

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 17, 2022, 6:25:10 AM8/17/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
“To the Ministers I stressed the need for a social gospel to supplement the gospel of individual salvation. I suggested that only a “dry as dust” religion prompts a Minister to extol the glories of heaven while ignoring the social conditions that cause man an earthly hell”(From  "The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr”, edited by Clayborne Carson)

Cornelius Hamelberg

Aug 17, 2022, 2:13:53 PM8/17/22
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

This Sam Harris - Van Jones episode " Where is happiness?​"  - is a very satisfactory discussion that addresses the full import of the MLK quote, and should be of interest to all Nigerian men of the cloth, pastors of megachurch flocks, and other Christian laymen and women preachers and social workers engaged in transforming our communities for the better…

As Bishop Dom Camara of Brazil once wryly observed, “When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist.

What is most surprising about Nigeria, where there is freedom of speech, almost to an unfettered extent, is that with the sole exception that I can think of, namely the brave soul known as Bishop Matthew Hassan Kukah who in my opinion sometimes goes overboard on the political situation in Nigeria in spite of which he is not a good illustration of the adage that  - apart from in Iran, religion and politics don’t mix or can only be a volatile mix - because all said and done he personally does a lot of good by speaking up  - more good and not any harm.  Take for instance, what Bishop Kukah says in that Toyin Falola Interview about which one still reserves some ideological comments, in no hurry to disturb what remains of  peace and tranquillity in Nigeria or to play into the hands of those who firmly believe that there should be a divorce between church and state, and between mosque and state; but just look at all the hullabaloo about the “Muslim-Muslim ticket “ or where the Northern vote would go if it was a  "Christian-Christian ticket  “ ( Atiku would be smiling all the way to the bank)

Ah, Dunya

From the Christain point of view, of course, it should be preferable to choose eternal enjoyment in heaven  -For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?

Cornelius Hamelberg

Aug 17, 2022, 6:29:03 PM8/17/22
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

Sincere apologies Chidi,

Here is the correct link  - and it is a very satisfactory discussion that addresses the full import of the MLK quote….

https://art19.com/shows/uncommon-ground-with-van-jones/episodes/43748aa6-6cd2-40ef-8ecd-54b78da3626a

Harris is not being “ irreverential”

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM, CDOA

Aug 20, 2022, 5:20:23 PM8/20/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
Misinformation is the biggest threat to democracy in Nigeria.

-Chidi Anthony Opara (CAO)

Cornelius Hamelberg

Aug 21, 2022, 2:33:18 PM8/21/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

So, you think that “ Misinformation is the biggest threat to democracy in Nigeria.”?

Not, injustice, corruption, “tribalism”,  disunity, poverty, too much education, religion, the insecurity situation?

For Chidi:  Peace like a river from the album  “Paul Simon”( 1972)

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM, CDOA

Aug 22, 2022, 6:12:00 PM8/22/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
A rhetorician will always steal the show at every public event, but that is where it ends.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM, CDOA

Aug 24, 2022, 3:51:45 AM8/24/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
The frivolity of the Nigerian elite helped to bring the country to its present sorry state.