Today's Quote

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jun 26, 2022, 8:46:50 AM6/26/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
Idiocy powered by notions of knowledge. That is the bane of Nigeria's social media space. The flimsy variant, that is.

-Chidi Anthony Opara (CAO)

--
Chidi Anthony Opara is a Poet, IIM Professional Fellow, MIT Chief Data Officer Ambassador and Founder/Publisher of, www.publicinformationprojects.org)

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jun 28, 2022, 1:56:56 AM6/28/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
The spermatozoa is a living thing that fertilizes the egg, that becomes the foetus, that becomes the baby. Pregnancy preventive measures kill the spermatozoa and pro lifers don't seem to care.

Harrow, Kenneth

Jun 28, 2022, 6:01:26 AM6/28/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
i would describe things slightly differently, chidi.
i don't know what a "living thing" actually means. if you work through the logic, is the sperm any different from our blood, say, in terms of being "living"?
more important to me, this crisis over abortion is grounded in people whose religious beliefs place a priority on the viability of the foetus over the woman whose body actually contains and gives life to the foetus.
the reasons for this can be "religious"--although why any religion would priorize a foetus over a mother is beyond me. i find the disparagement of the mother, the woman, and her ability to decide what to do with her body and what it contains really awful, really incredibly backward, as though the man who fertilized her ovum had power over her as if she were his thing.
your description of the etiology of the life of a sperm and ovum to the baby leaves out the woman, her life and her body, as containing all that "life." but i would prefer not to say "baby" until it is born, and before that i'd refer to the foetus as "potential" rather than "actual" life. the language of aristotle: potential, but not actualized until birth.

my own preference for the question of abortion would be to have the woman decide until the foetus is completely viable without the mother's body, i.e., until late in the 3d trimester. we mostly had a tacit agreement in the united states that abortions were licit until the 3d trimester. now the rightwingers have prevailed, turned our world topsy-turvy, created havoc, and a new nightmare for women.
at this point, one can't help but feel all men should step aside and leave the entire question to be sorted out by women. instead, the supreme court has silenced women and returned a vast number to the endangered state that existed 60 years ago, when women were forced to bear children even when they had been victims of rape or incest.
ken

kenneth harrow

professor emeritus

dept of english

michigan state university

517 803-8839

har...@msu.edu

Jun 29, 2022, 10:25:20 AM6/29/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Great thanks for this insightful debate.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jun 29, 2022, 2:49:16 PM6/29/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
The problem with misinformation is that it is a pollutant.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jun 29, 2022, 8:01:38 PM6/29/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
Don't let the "Independent" on the name of Nigeria's election commission confuse you. The commission, like others, takes orders from the Presidency.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jun 30, 2022, 5:48:59 AM6/30/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
In politics, good ideas without structure (in the real sense) amounts to nothing. In real politics(realpolitik), structure is everything.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jul 1, 2022, 4:19:16 AM7/1/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
Popular mass movements are usually neutralized by reprobate persons who join for ulterior motives.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jul 2, 2022, 8:32:40 AM7/2/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
Most people on social media take positions(which they would never abandon even in the face of superior arguments)first and then look for evidence to support their positions.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jul 3, 2022, 6:08:47 AM7/3/22
to USA African Dialogue Series
What about Biafra? Do we still want it or have that one collapsed under the weight of "OBIDIENT"?