Today's Quote

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jul 18, 2019, 6:48:13 AM7/18/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
Every crime "big shot" is being protected directly and/or indirectly by those in power, otherwise, he/she wouldn't last long. You can take this to the banks.

I have been in quasi governmental positions long enough to know this.

CAO.

--
Chidi Anthony Opara is a "Life Time Achievement" Awardee, Registered Freight Forwarder, Professional Fellow Of Institute Of Information Managerment, Africa, Poet and Publisher of PublicInformationProjects

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jul 18, 2019, 7:01:14 PM7/18/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
All powers belong to you Almighty God, praises be to your holy name!

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jul 20, 2019, 6:10:50 AM7/20/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
The implication of a "technicality judge" heading the Nigeria apex court is that most Nigerians would resort to self help.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jul 22, 2019, 5:07:49 AM7/22/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
Obasanjo has appeared at every crucial historical juncture in Nigeria, more than even Awolowo. This is a historical fact!

Ibukunolu A Babajide

Jul 23, 2019, 1:59:33 PM7/23/19
to USAAfricaDialogue
Chidi,

This is how you grasp at straw, embrace a vacuum and utter inanities.  It is not at how many junctures a man appears, it is about the impact the man leaves for history to judge.

Obasanjo is a corrupt man devoid of character.  That was why the Yorubas rejected him for Olu Falae in 1979 but have always embraced Chief Obafemi Awolowo who is a shinning man of character and stoic spartan self application.  His appearances shaped Nigeria and won the Nigerian civil war!

It is never about quantity.  It is about quality.

Cheers.

IBK

_________________________
Ibukunolu Alao Babajide (IBK)

AN ENGLISH NURSERY RHYME

The law locks up the man or woman

Who steals the goose from off the common

But leaves the greater villain loose

Who steals the common from off the goose

The law demands that we atone

When we take things that we do not own

But leaves the lords and ladies fine

Who take things that are yours and mine

The poor and wretched don’t escape

If they conspire the law to break

This must be so but they endure

Those who conspire to make the law

The law locks up the man or woman

Who steals the goose from off the common

And geese will still a common lack

Till they go and steal it back

 -        Anonymous (circa 1764)

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

O O

Jul 23, 2019, 2:41:52 PM7/23/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Yes! not how long one’s experience has been but how deep (or fruitful or meaningful or impactful)

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jul 23, 2019, 7:01:49 PM7/23/19
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
OO,
"how deep(or fruitful or meaningful or impactful)" is subject to varied definitions.

CAO.

segun ogungbemi

Jul 24, 2019, 4:11:48 AM7/24/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Please substantiate your claim with the historical facts at your disposal.
Prof. Segun Ogungbemi.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jul 28, 2019, 7:32:39 AM7/28/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
The concept of "unbundling the supreme court" would complicate things in Nigeria, a country grappling with very weak systems and a largely uninformed populace.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 3, 2019, 8:16:38 AM8/3/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
Ejike Mbaka carrying placard against insecurity? Omoyele Sowore planning a "revolution"?

This karma is so quick in coming!

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 3, 2019, 8:58:55 PM8/3/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
Freedom of any type is not absolute, there are limitations and consequences if such limitations are overstepped.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 4, 2019, 4:18:02 AM8/4/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
Let us imagine that you are the President of Nigeria and a citizen comes out to announce that on a certain day, he/she would organize a revolution and begins to invite people to join his/her movement, would you allow that person  to go ahead?

CAO

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 4, 2019, 7:42:29 AM8/4/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
If a revolution succeeds, it forms government, if it fails, it becomes a crime.

The Nigerian "revolutionaries" should stop typing "free...." On social media from their comfort zones!

They should pour on the streets and march to, the Presidency, National Assembly, Supreme Court and the head office of the security agency holding their leader.

That is how it is done. Not these current self promotions!

CAO.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 5, 2019, 6:43:45 PM8/5/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
Although revolution have many connotations, but in the context of the current Lagos "revolution" group rhetorics, it connotes a Swift unconstitutional change of government.

Cornelius Hamelberg

Aug 5, 2019, 9:33:36 PM8/5/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
"Nothing in his physical features, for those of us who know him, suggests the presence of even the remotest tincture of Fulani blood in him."

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 6, 2019, 7:40:49 AM8/6/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
I do not oppose revolution (anyone following my poetry outings over the years can attest to that). What I however oppose is, "smart guys" using revolution as a weapon of blackmail.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 10, 2019, 7:09:11 AM8/10/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
Why are the "RevolutionNow" people not on the streets of Nigeria over the detention of their leader?

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 12, 2019, 10:57:58 AM8/12/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
I am a public poet, I have been writing for more than ten years now on the internet to inspire revolutions, yet some persons expect me to participate in the physical aspect of revolution!

Ibrahim Abdullah

Aug 12, 2019, 12:44:54 PM8/12/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Why not! The taste of the pudding is in the eating. As Walter Rodney argued in the context of WPA—“to gain clarity you must get your feet wet”.

Sent from my iPhone
--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 12, 2019, 4:00:29 PM8/12/19
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Ibrahim,
Would you say for example, that "Okoko Ndem", the Radio Biafra broadcaster who was detained by the Gowon regime after the civil war, did not participate in the war because he did not shoot bullets at the war fronts? What about the more lethal "bullets" he shot from the radio that unsettled the Federal side?

Would you consider Achebe and JP Clark for example, less of activists because they do not usually appear at the scene of protests.

A writer may choose to be a soldier, that is a personal choice, however, writing to inspire revolutions or protests against bad governance also makes the writer a participant.

Protest writing is even more dangerous than appearing physically at protest points. Protest writing is as dangerous as soldiering.

CAO.

Ibrahim Abdullah

Aug 12, 2019, 4:26:56 PM8/12/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
There are levels of involvement—my point. But getting your feet wet a la Brother Wally, as Rodney was affectionately called by his Guyanese compatriot, is really the Kilmanjaro for Black revolutionaries. Am pretty certain that is where you want to be.

We live to learn; we learn to live. A lutta continua!

Sent from my iPhone
> --
> Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 13, 2019, 6:35:35 AM8/13/19
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Ibrahim,
The pen, they say, is mightier than the sword. Since I have the pen, what do I need the sword for?

CAO.

Abolaji Adekeye

Aug 13, 2019, 9:15:58 AM8/13/19
to Cornelius Hamelberg
In a time of war, a true poet carries poetry in his heart and guns in his hands. Codes not odes, bullets not ballads win wars.
Ligali Mukaiba- The Apotheosis Of Christopher Okigbo.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 13, 2019, 10:18:08 AM8/13/19
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Abolaji,
Ligali Mukaiba was wrong in this generalization.

It should be a personal choice.

In struggles as in many other things, duties/assignments are compartmentalized. There are fighters and there are writers. The writers inspire the fighters.

CAO.

Ibrahim Abdullah

Aug 13, 2019, 10:18:22 AM8/13/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Both weapons—pen and the ubiquitous AK47 and now drones—have their limitations. Navigating contexts based on objective conditions determine the weapon you use. Different strokes; for different folks.

Sent from my iPhone

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 13, 2019, 2:33:50 PM8/13/19
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Ibrahim,
The pen moulds the mind, the mind then makes the gun and the drone.

CAO.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 14, 2019, 5:52:02 PM8/14/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
"........even those of us who desire to  transform our society, must ourselves be ready to be transformed in and by the process". (Jaye Gaskia).

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 16, 2019, 5:22:45 PM8/16/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
"I am very disturbed by the growing brand of for-profit feminism and other activism in Nigeria. We cannot afford to go down this route if we truly want change. It is bogus and self-serving".-- Novelist Sefi Atta

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 17, 2019, 12:12:07 PM8/17/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
If a talented writer would abandon his/her craft in the heat of crisis and go to the trenches, why did he/she become a writer in the first place?

CAO.

Ibrahim Abdullah

Aug 17, 2019, 1:36:15 PM8/17/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
You’re playing Mzee Ali here: putting Christopher Okigbo on trial again. Like I told you last week referencing Walter Rodney—taking up arms to get your “feet wet” is integral to the dialectic of any liberation struggle.

Sent from my iPhone
--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 17, 2019, 2:38:37 PM8/17/19
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Ibrahim,
I need answer to my question.

Adeshina Afolayan

Aug 17, 2019, 8:35:12 PM8/17/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Being a writer or a poet and getting into the trenches are not mutually exclusive. And they cannot be put down to choosing one over the other. Both can be chosen. Both have been chosen. The situation is not either/or, as Oga Chidi wants to make it.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/usaafricadialogue/0817f760-abea-414f-a6b3-dbba99ad3d6e%40googlegroups.com.

Ibrahim Abdullah

Aug 17, 2019, 8:35:12 PM8/17/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
To die fighting for the truth!

Sent from my iPhone
> --
> Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Cornelius Hamelberg

Aug 17, 2019, 8:35:12 PM8/17/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Chidi,

Have you ever tried your hand at “War Poetry “? Have you ever experienced War at a close range or only on TV? Shouldn't the poet work for peace? ( Just asking )

You ask, “If a talented writer would abandon his/her craft in the heat of crisis and go to the trenches, why did he/she become a writer in the first place?"

You have also explained previously, “ I am a public poet, I have been writing for more than ten years now on the internet to inspire revolutions, yet some persons expect me to participate in the physical aspect of revolution!” and in a reply to Ibrahim Abdullah, you thus defined yourself :

Protest writing is even more dangerous than appearing physically at protest points. Protest writing is as dangerous as soldiering, culminating in your asserting your own personal truth;The pen, they say, is mightier than the sword. Since I have the pen, what do I need the sword for?

To date, how many revolutions have you inspired?

I understand that you are of course speaking very personally and not legislating action/ inaction on behalf of others. I suppose that it all depends on the Chi in Chidi.

Well, first of all, as a writer you could be reporting live and direct from the trenches.

About the grimness of war , this was George S. Patton's speech to the Third Army(in 1944

Who was it that said, “Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.”?

I know a Moroccan Jew who took part in the Six-Day War in 1967. He was nineteen years old at the time and ready to roll at a moment’s notice. I know another, born in Libya, but before he could get to Paris to register, the war was already over. Indeed, thousands of people volunteered and were ready to put their lives on the front line for a cause close to their heart. And who was it that said of the Six-Day War, “never have the asses of so many been kicked by so few.”?

You were probably still in your nappies or short trousers when the Biafra War for Independence broke out. If you had been a writer back then I suppose that as a non-fighting combatant you could have been very useful in the propaganda department of the Biafra War effort?

What do you have to say about these here below?

Poets who fought in the trenches

Writers who went to fight in the Spanish Civil War

What do you say about

Hemingway and war

George Orwell and War

As to your other claim thatThe pen moulds the mind, the mind then makes the gun and the drone.”, there are those who say that it’s the mind that moulds the pen and that it must have been the mind plus something else that moulded the one usually referred to as “The Father Of The Atomic Bomb

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 18, 2019, 5:45:11 AM8/18/19
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
"Well, first of all, as a writer you could be reporting live and direct from the trenches"-Cornelius Hamelberg

Sir, you're talking about journalism, not creative writing.

CAO.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 18, 2019, 5:45:11 AM8/18/19
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Adeshina,
Yes, both can be chosen, but when that happens, one is done at the expense of the other.

For me, (protest) writing is an instrument to bring about positive change, there are other instruments. I would rather concentrate on one, the one I have skill in, the one I do better!

CAO.

Cornelius Hamelberg

Aug 18, 2019, 8:33:19 AM8/18/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

 Chidi.

Chidi interrupts his writing to have a cup of tea.

Chidi had a cup of tea. Chidi had another cup of tea.

Chidi had a cup of tea before the White Man came and mucked up everything...

I heard Aminatta Forna say in a TV interview that when it’s in her mind to write a book, then she can lock herself up in a room for months, away from it all, until the book is through. Done.

There’s no gainsaying the fact that some talented writers could be committed to writing non-stop round the clock and not do anything else, however, Cornelius Ignoramus imagines that even

if it’s not your motto to “make love, not war” there’s this occasional line from the immortal John Donne swearing, in every man’s repertoire, as the occasion may demand : “For God's sake hold your tongue, and let me love”. Isn’t it true that from time to time, lover boy Johnny wants to do some locomotion too, some “Poetry in motion”, just like Chidi did a little while ago? To lay. Abi I lie ?

It’s your word abandon that’s is a bit of a hyperbole here, it’s a wee exaggerated Sir.

Did Léopold Sédar Senghor abandon poetry for politics?

What says Chidi about Amilcar Cabral?

There are many other good examples…

It may be tea time Chidi, but remember that right now we are in the trenches...

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Cornelius Hamelberg

Aug 18, 2019, 8:33:19 AM8/18/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Chidi,

Please admit :

Your main problem is fear of death.

You would not like to be assassinated while writing or in the middle of composing some war poetry in the trenches

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 18, 2019, 4:11:44 PM8/18/19
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Mazi Cornelius,
I do not fear death, I rather fear old age with serious infirmities, especially, the infirmities of the mind, in which the muse deserts and the poet becomes incoherent!

Mazi,(Protest)writing kills faster than wars, revolutions and protests.

Dele Giwa, Walter Rodney and others are examples.

I chose (protest)writing fully conscious of that fact.

CAO.

Ibrahim Abdullah

Aug 18, 2019, 9:29:02 PM8/18/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
The Man Died—-not Chidi who must set out at dawn!

Sent from my iPhone
> --
> Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 19, 2019, 2:58:54 AM8/19/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
They have accomplished "gay marriage" right, they are now into "siblings marriage" right(also known as "consensual incest"). After that, they may move to "animal marriage" right, that is the right to marry an animal. Haba!

Cornelius Hamelberg

Aug 19, 2019, 3:03:25 PM8/19/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

I do not fear death”, says Chidi.

Brave man”, says grave man.

So boasted John Donne:

Death be not proud, though some have called thee

Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so...”

But when death the equaliser finally came, didn’t he call for the priest?

There are various stories about Tolstoy coming to a similar end

That’s how it is; when you are young, you feel immortal.1967 - War in the Middle East, he was only nineteen years old and ready to enlist and to fight for eternity if need be; fifty years later, a pain in the neck and in the back , no longer ready to roll, you hear him apologising with one excuse after another, But my dear wife, my family, my children, my grandchildren, my business!!!!”

I must say that with death so far away – and you yourself so far from any theatre of war, far from the epicentre of Boko Haram mayhem, Inshallah, far from the imminence of death at the hands of some Fulani herdsmen terror lurking in your backyard (I’m sure that they would meet some stout Biafra-like resistance at the Owerri Motor Park) nevertheless, I admire your dignified, philosophical calm, even if death is so far away, because some of the Faithful are made to feel constantly aware of its presence as they pray daily, “Hail Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death – Amen

As you know, the elders demand a lot of respect but they don't like to hear any talk about “old bones”: When an elder is in hospital and his family and friends come along and start reading portions of Bible or Quran, he then knows that the end is probably very near – but it’s not a fear of death per se as per Oga Falola’s teenager spontaneous reflection when he saw himself staring at it (death) at close range on page one of Counting the Tiger's Teeth: An African Teenager's Story”:

I was worried, nervous in that moment that the end of history was in sight, that the end of the world was near. I would be gone to join my father in heaven, a place of no return. Soon we would all be dead. Our struggles were for a better life, but the end was death. If the dog was dead, we all would follow, slaughtered like him, to be decapitated, brutalised, violently killed. Only, unlike the dog, we had notice, and we prepared for the fatal and violent end. Let it come. We were eager to invite death.”

The dog and the baboon would be soaked in blood!”

Indeed, I and I would be gone to join my father in heaven, a place of no return” - Hamlet’s problematic but:

But that the dread of something after death,

The undiscovere'd country, from whose bourn

No traveller returns...”

Not so the suicide bomber, confidently detonating himself to instant post-mortem sexual gratification: 72 virgins waiting to attend him and to fulfil all his earthly desires - and if the suicide bomber is a she – how many virgins will she have?

Absolutely Chidi, the greatest fear, “fear old age with serious infirmities, especially, the infirmities of the mind” - fear of alzheimer'swhich means that right now we must take every step to prevent it Some religions talk out eternal life after death, that the soul never dies etc.

Ah, Chidi, the muse, the muse – I'm already incoherent  - it's the incoherence of the incoherent and  yes – John Coltrane and the meaning of life

Oh , Chidi, life after poetry: I ‘ve been listening in about what happens when we die

My Better half just got back from Berlin; I’m going to tell her one more time, that we’re going to be side my side, even in the cemetery….

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 28, 2019, 5:36:57 AM8/28/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
History does not record silence.

Ibrahim Abdullah

Aug 28, 2019, 7:02:52 AM8/28/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
It does; its absence underlines it’s presence!

Sent from my iPhone
--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Adeshina Afolayan

Aug 28, 2019, 11:57:06 AM8/28/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Oga Abdullah. And silences are often inscribed on historical actions. Refusal to acts constitute historical silences.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 28, 2019, 1:24:28 PM8/28/19
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Abdullahi, Adeshina,
Silence denotes nothingness, void. There would be nothing to record.

CAO.

Ibrahim Abdullah

Aug 28, 2019, 2:00:25 PM8/28/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Chidi:
Not to record is to record! Absence is presence!

Sent from my iPhone
> --
> Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Coster Muleya

Aug 28, 2019, 2:53:06 PM8/28/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
It can record silence if that silence is necessary for historical purposes. There is one silence recorded in History though it looks eschatological, In revelation the Bible records that when he opened the 6th seal there was silence.

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Coster Muleya

Aug 28, 2019, 2:53:06 PM8/28/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
I like the information behind the quote

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 28, 2019, 5:15:23 PM8/28/19
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Coster,
What was recorded in the situation you referenced was not silence. What was recorded was the act of opening the 6th seal.

CAO.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 28, 2019, 5:15:41 PM8/28/19
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Ibrahim,
Not to record creates a void! Absence creates nothingness!

CAO.

Cornelius Hamelberg

Aug 28, 2019, 7:05:21 PM8/28/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Chidi the poet

writes, because “All that's needed for the forces of evil to succeed is for enough good men to remain silent.

There’s “The Sounds of Silence

There’sThe sound of one hand clapping ( Zen Koan)

There’s the question:  When a tree falls in a forest and nobody's there to hear it - does it actually make a sound?

In some of our African societies, when a big man passes away they say, “A mighty tree has fallen”

John does not begin his Gospel with “ In the beginning there as nothing“ or “ In the beginning there was silence” or “BERESHIT” he begins it with “In the beginning was the Word “ which some schools of Hinduism and Sikhism have equated with shabda

I like The Last Poets: Bird's Word which begins, “Everything was silent”

Then there is the gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Cornelius Hamelberg

Aug 29, 2019, 5:21:40 AM8/29/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Does history record absence?

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Cornelius Hamelberg

Aug 29, 2019, 5:22:16 AM8/29/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

 Chidi,

I understand that some poets tend to think associatively...

Re- Your ambiguous, enigmatic, profound, provocative “History does not record silence”

A popular recurring phrase that we encounter regularly in journalese is “the gaping silence” which is critical and is usually meant to express outrage or surprise about non-reaction about an event / an occurrence that’s crying out for at least a verbal reaction. (To take a local example from here in Sweden, one of our Congolese Brethren, Faustin, popularly known as “Mr Lova Lova” was murdered, dismembered, chopped up into pieces – and this was hardly reported in the Swedish media. Till today’ it’s the gaping silence.

There is the ominous silence, ominous, when “Silence means consent” In some such awful cases, silence means connivance

In all such cases in which we encounter “a gaping silence”, somebody or somebodies missing in action, as in this case of Mr Lova Lova, ironically, history is here presently recording this silence, as history frequently records other silences – such as the hushed silence in mosques and churches over so many atrocities that one would expect to hear being condemned from pulpit and minbar

Nigeria can always boast of moral voices, men of conscience such as Chief Obafemi Awolowo ; Wole Soyinka, Gani Fawehinmi , Fela Kuti, Tai Solarin, to name just five. Maybe I should add Bishop Hassan Kukah, Prof Jibrin Ibrahim, Auwal Ibrahim Musa (Rafsanjani)...I could extend the list. I am no expert.

There was no dearth of silence and there was certainly no connivance in many quartets, especially in the music industry during the Vietnam War or about Apartheid South Africa. South African Jazz and the Rastaman were not silent.

In situations where patience is running thin, can any such silence be regarded as “ revolutionary silence”? I ask, because from experience I note that sometimes a long silence is followed by a loud explosion...the Krio proverb is,” foll ( a chicken, fowl) wae noh dae yeri ( hear) sheee, go yeri stone” ( Which I translate as “My gun will be heard the next time!”) Maybe some Krio expert among us could improve on the poetic transliteration.

Fact is that even guns eventually fall silent

It’s amazing how much of the vocabulary in this thread (for me) borders on the metaphysical, _ words like “Silence” (mauna), “void”, “nothingness” “emptiness” in my own little mind (if indeed it exists) only triggers Buddhism‘s sunyata / the void

No laughing matter Chidi that on the pragmatic plane ( in alphabetical order, Adeshina Afoloyan and Ibrahim Abdullah are closer to your purpose ( mundane reality)

On a lighter note:

The sounds of Silence

Paul Simon ( 1972)

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Ibrahim Abdullah

Aug 29, 2019, 6:44:55 AM8/29/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Chid:
Not to record is to record! Absence references its opposite: presence!
> --
> Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 29, 2019, 7:58:02 AM8/29/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
Political leadership is based on attributes which technocracy is just a fraction of. A technocrat may find it extremely confusing when faced with issues that require political considerations.

OLAYINKA AGBETUYI

Aug 29, 2019, 11:06:41 AM8/29/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
This is particularly true of music in which the structured pauses i.e. silences (Okigbo used silences in this special music idiom as heading of his poetry) are deliberately recorded into the music.

So if a piece of recorded music is a historical document (which it is) then it follows that silence can be recorded.

OAA.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Not to record is to record! Absence references its opposite: presence!

> --
> Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 29, 2019, 3:27:42 PM8/29/19
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
"This is particularly true of music in which the structured pauses i.e. silences (Okigbo used silences in this special music idiom as heading of his poetry) are deliberately recorded into the music.

So if a piece of recorded music is a historical document (which it is) then it follows that silence can be recorded"--OAA.

So, what does the recorded "silence" say? Nothing! What does it represent? Void!

What message does it convey to the recipients of history? Zero message! How then is it "a historical document" in the strict sense of the phrase?

It is a mere exercise of artistic license.

CAO.

OLAYINKA AGBETUYI

Aug 29, 2019, 6:00:49 PM8/29/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
In music it says a lot. It establishes a rhythm with the lyrics that accentuates communications just as in writing an exclamation mark makes the difference toncommunication as do several dots in an uncompleted sentence in Okigbo's lament poems.

If you go to Okigbo's poetry he categorically( or the poet- protagonist) defines what silence is.

OAA

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 29, 2019, 8:46:35 PM8/29/19
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
OAA,
Okigbo was merely exercising artistic licence.

The exclamation marks, etc, in sentences, which you mentioned are parts of the communication endeavours, some things are being communicated.

Silence communicates nothing.

CAO.

Adeshina Afolayan

Aug 30, 2019, 5:46:01 AM8/30/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Oga Chidi,
I worry that a poet still fails to see the import of what you have been dismissing. "Silence communicates nothing"? I am aghast! You just kept failing to understand the essence of silence.

History records no silences
Silence communicates nothing

From a deep poet who understands the power of speaking and not speaking. Chai!

Well...your dismissal a ails nothing. Silence is what silence is. Whether you call it the void or we call it a powerful binary that speaks to its opposite.

CAO.

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/usaafricadialogue/96a705f7-807d-4506-95a8-ed72bf4214b9%40googlegroups.com.

Abolaji Adekeye

Aug 30, 2019, 6:02:16 AM8/30/19
to Cornelius Hamelberg
I want to thank Chidi for his consistent "Today's Quote". We may not always agree but you always provoke woke discussions and interventions from members of The forum.

"How come there is blood in the jacuzzi  when all can hear the silence of the Uzis. Uzis speak but there are "Silencers on the Uzi".

Ask a Palestinian child the meaning of silence.

In Compton, it was a good day when Ice Cube didn't have to use his AK47. Silence of the AK. Not silencers on the AK.

Chidi has obviously heard about cryptic silences. No? What about historical silences or silencing the past? How can history ignore or fail to record reverberating silences?

The silence of guilt, the silence of shame. Complicity.

There's also enforced silences.
 "Jackboots on our throats, if we speak we disappear".

Of course there is silence in the grave yard but there is also grave silence employed by my late dad before the lava of his anger erupts. Grave silence may not kill you dead but it communicates to you the finality of silence of the grave.

Can the mute shout?

"Silence in the labyrinth amplifies the footfalls spanning the distances".

To the soldier, silence in the warfront is not only the cessation of hostilities but the absence of communication from the generals and commanders and the HQ.

Ask the Christian Armenians or the Bosnian Muslims about silence, they'll tell you silence is historical.

Victims will never forget even if villains refuse to remember.

History is a record of actions and inactions, presences and absences, speeches and silences. Events.

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Adeshina Afolayan

Aug 30, 2019, 8:30:20 AM8/30/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Just simply and poetically sublime.

Magana yakare! Let this be the last word. Let silence speaks the finality of this discourse.

OLAYINKA AGBETUYI

Aug 30, 2019, 8:30:26 AM8/30/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Yes, CAO.

Some things are being communicated in Okigbo's dots and that includes the unspeakable, signified (not represented) by the dots.

OAA.

Sent from Samsung tablet.

Emeagwali, Gloria (History)

Aug 30, 2019, 10:11:09 AM8/30/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
"History is a record of actions and inactions, presences and absences, speeches and silences."

Very beautiful take on silence. Quotable quotes.

Of course I am sure that you did not stereotype Compton. That's the home of one the world's greatest tennis players, Serena Williams.

Professor Gloria Emeagwali
History Department, Central Connecticut State University
www.africahistory.net
Gloria Emeagwali's Documentaries
2014 Distinguished Research Excellence Award in African Studies
 University of Texas at Austin
2019   Distinguished Africanist Award
New York African Studies Association

Aug 30, 2019, 10:11:09 AM8/30/19
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Adeshina, et al,
"The man dies who keeps silence in the face of tyranny"--Wole Soyinka.

"death" here means sliding into a state of nothingness, into the void!

CAO.

Ibrahim Abdullah

Aug 30, 2019, 11:28:51 AM8/30/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Compton knows only Crips!!!

Sent from my iPhone

Cornelius Hamelberg

Aug 30, 2019, 1:13:05 PM8/30/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

In the genre of prison diaries, we can add Ngugi Wa Thiong'o‘s Detained, there’s also

Molefe Pheto’s nerve-wracking “And Night Fell: Memoirs of a Political Prisoner in South Africa” (I met him in Stockholm in the later 1970s was in correspondence with him briefly and met him later in London, where he worked at the Commonwealth Institute). Common to all of them: civil courage extraordinaire. Those political prisoner diaries and many others of that genre say the very same thing that’s encapsulated in that famous Soyinka quote “The man dies who keeps silence in the face of tyranny” .

I daresay that apart from the author of that line arrogating to himself a monopoly of its interpretation (nice expression to arrogate to oneself) and thank goodness, Mr Soyinka is not likely to do that, he is not that arrogant (arrogant a word closely related to arrogating to oneself) – so how can anyone else be as dogmatic as to say that this could be the one and only meaning : "death" here means sliding into a state of nothingness, into the void!  ?

Is Chidi willing to start interpreting his own poetry, for posterity? With the Bible, they’re still doing it. Hopefully, that should not diminish the particularities or the universality of the divine poetry - although in some cases, as in the case of e.g. the posthumous Jesus, there’s the inevitability in committing the biographical heresy ( “ God’s only begotten son” etc. poetically ascended to heaven. Amen. Will soon be coming back again.)

Of course, outside of the theological theatre of make-belief, death is pretty final. Full stop. Whilst you live, like e e you may write to your heart’s content about “somewhere i have never travelled, gladly beyond any experience, maybe, later and a big maybe depending on if you’ve been a good boy – maybe later the 72 Virgins somewhere up there but down here/ over here in this dimension, once you’re dead and done, you ought to know in advance that you’re not going to be able to get it up again when your six feet down - but in life after death may be, or as Prince hamlet put it

“ what dreams may come,

When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,

Must give us pause -”

or as Prince Chidi Anthony Opara gallantly puts it ,

"death" here means sliding into a state of nothingness, into the void!

By which he does not mean sliding into a state of somethingness, into the earth’s vagina, into that terminal null and void., until the resurrection of the dead….

Just kidding. Retard.

Well what Mr Soyinka really means – and this is fundamental – he means that something inside a man dies when he keeps silence in the face of tyranny. Now, who wants to wax poetic about the thing that dies inside a man – inside of a man when he countenances evil, is violently opposed to it in his heart but is afraid - too cowardly to speak out?

Sleep is your superpower

Best Regards…

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Abolaji Adekeye

Aug 31, 2019, 1:53:49 AM8/31/19
to Cornelius Hamelberg
I wouldn't dare.
I love CPT, Watts Inglewood and all.

Cornelius Hamelberg

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Aug 31, 2019, 11:06:42 AM8/31/19
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
"God said, 'Let there be light,' and there was light"
(Genesis 1:3).

CAO.

Cornelius Hamelberg

Aug 31, 2019, 12:28:08 PM8/31/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Hallel

Hallelujah!

lashon hakodesh - the holy tongue

Hashem created everything with the 22 letters of the Hebrew alphabet

Whilst you lament power outages in Naija and “professors of electricity who produce darkness only”,bear in mind that in order to celebrate constant electricity you must adhere to the remedy about which Pope quipped

 "Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night:

God said, Let Newton be! and all was light.”

And, by the way, Chidi, who knows the language of mathematics better than The Almighty?

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Sep 4, 2019, 2:32:02 PM9/4/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
We know the immediate cause of the attacks in South African, what about the remote cause?

CAO

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Sep 4, 2019, 4:55:49 PM9/4/19
to USA African Dialogue Series

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Sep 5, 2019, 1:57:17 AM9/5/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
Both boycott and attendance could be weapons.

CAO.

Ibrahim Abdullah

Sep 5, 2019, 7:50:55 AM9/5/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
So you now acknowledge silence/absence( boycott) as central? Welcome aboard.

Sent from my iPhone
--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Sep 5, 2019, 8:44:14 AM9/5/19
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Ibrahim,
Boycott is not silence/absence! You would make a statement that you are boycotting so, so and so, for so, so and so reason.

CAO.

Ibrahim Abdullah

Sep 5, 2019, 8:52:38 AM9/5/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
I hear you.

Sent from my iPhone
> --
> Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Cornelius Hamelberg

Sep 6, 2019, 6:22:08 PM9/6/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

 Chidi

Re- this boycott, silence, absence, nonsense:

boycotting so, so and so,

for so, so and so reason” etc.

I suppose that not talking to someone, or talking very minimally with someone sometimes referred to as “avoidance” in psychology; in Britain and the EU – it’s also sometimes antiballistic: a strategic racist/ tribalistic, anti-Semitic behavioural tactic, known as giving someone “the cold treatment” and fits into the same category as deleting his mails and his postings to this forum, fixing your filter to delete or send any of his messages directly to hell or to the trash box. All that is a form of boycotting, silencing the opponent, depriving him of his freedom of speech, his right of reply, his right to reply so that at least he does not disturb your peace of mind, pollute your eyes, your ears, your thoughts, God’s oxygen.

Well, consider this stanza 14 from a long piece that I’ve set to some original type of music

Don’t you talk to them ?”

asked David, just up

from London, very “ holy”

No” I snapped. He went

off to talk to them, and returned

the next morning, terrified

from a night of screaming

on the mountain...barefoot.

The mountain took my shoes.

Didn’t see ANY deer. Thought

I’d die. Shouted

all night for help. Repeated

all the names I knew

for God.”

( From Neil Oram’s “The Balustrade Paradox” somewhere up the road I’ll have to write to his publishers for copyrights since back in 1986 I made music out of all his scraps of poetry in that novel, so that we can now make some good money together)

Just one word: Barefoot – how many oral autobiographies haven’t I listened to directly from the mouths of great Sierra Leonean men who rose from nothing to something? It makes you humble to hear that once upon a time they walked for miles, barefoot, to school…

It figures when you take a look at any of the short scientific articles down below:

Being barefoot benefits brain development and more!

Herbie Hancock : “Feets don’t fail me now

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Sep 6, 2019, 9:00:57 PM9/6/19
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Cornelius Hamelberg,
You are responding to "nonsense"?

CAO.

Ibukunolu. A. Babajide

Sep 6, 2019, 9:01:15 PM9/6/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
image1.png

Sent from IBK’s iPhone X Max
--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Adebayo Oyebade

Sep 7, 2019, 9:18:42 AM9/7/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Tennessee State University, Nashville, TN

The Annual Africa Conference

April 9 - 10, 2020

CALL FOR CONFERENCE PAPERS

The Department of History, Political Science, Geography, & Africana Studies at Tennessee State University, Nashville, Tennessee, invites academics, independent scholars, policymakers, and graduate students to present papers at its eighth annual conference on the theme: Towards the African Renaissance: Opportunities, Challenges, and Prospects

The idea of African Renaissance is a recurrent concept in African history. Its origins date, at least, to late colonial Africa, emerging as a response to the European colonial project. The concept envisioned an economically prosperous and politically stable, progressive Africa, rising from the ashes of colonialism. The Senegalese scholar, Cheikh Anta Diop, first articulated the concept in the 1940s to express a rather ambitious vision of rapid social, economic, and political development in postcolonial Africa. In recent years, the ideal of African Renaissance has gained traction in African political discourse. In the early part of this century, post-apartheid South African president, Thabo Mbeki, forcefully articulated a set of developmental goals envisioned to bring about an African renaissance. In addition, the African Union (AU) has called for an African renaissance as it charts pathways towards the overall development of the continent.

Following the attainment of political independence and the recent wave of democratization that swept across the continent, African Renaissance is considered the next major agenda for Africa, which will involve economic, political, and social renewal. The AU in its continental 50-year agenda, called Agenda 2063, envisions a prosperous, peaceful, and integrated Africa, based on the ideals of Pan-Africanism and the vision of African Renaissance, which would usher in a new Africa with global influence, and its states imbued with good governance, democracy, respect for human rights, justice, and the rule of law.

The window of opportunity for African renaissance is wide open since the continent has made considerable progress in both economic development and governance in recent years. Indeed, economic growth in Africa has expanded sharply since the turn of the millennium. At least half of the fastest growing economies in the world are from Africa, and many countries have transitioned from one-party dictatorship and military regimes to multi-party systems since the 1990s. Even though one can employ the “Africa rising” narrative to describe recent successes, a more nuanced, balanced, and cautionary approach is needed to examine the dynamics of African Renaissance and its prospects. This year’s conference will provide a platform for scholars, policy makers, and other participants to examine critically within a multidisciplinary framework, Africa’s economic, political, and socio-cultural transformations and renewal, with specific focus on undercurrent issues including achievements, opportunities, challenges, and prospects.

The sub-themes and potential topics around which the conference is organized may include but are not limited to the following:

Defining the African Renaissance: Diop, Mbeki, and AU

Colonialism and its Legacy

Neocolonialism and Postcolonial Africa

African Renaissance: Make Africa Great

The African Renaissance: Myth or Reality

Pan Africanism and the African Renaissance

African Renaissance and the Diaspora

Economic and Political Integration in Africa

Intra-Africa Trade and Regional Economic Integration

Peace, Security, and Stability for Development

Poverty Alleviation, Inclusive growth, and Sustainable Development

Women and Youth Empowerment

Science, Technology, and Innovation

Good Governance, Democracy, and Development

Development of Democratic Institutions, Accountability, and Transparency

Africa’s Place in the Global Economy and Politics

Trade, Investment, and Entrepreneurship

Climate change: Impacts, Risks, and Vulnerabilities

Pan-Africanism, Cultural Identity and Heritage

Development of Indigenous Languages and African Renaissance

China, Africa, and the West

Agriculture, Agro-processing and Industrialization

Economic Policies—Structural Adjustment, Liberal reforms

Health, Education, and Infrastructural Development

Human Capital Development

Africa's Population Boom, Migration, Brain Drain, and Brain Gain

Toward an Integrated, Prosperous, and Peaceful Africa: Challenges and Prospects

Africa’s Renaissance, Transformation, and Development Prospects in the 21st Century

Africa's Socioeconomic Development Challenges and Prospects

Keynote Speaker

Dr. Moses Ochonu

Cornelius Vanderbilt Professor of History

Vanderbilt University

Plenary Speaker

Dr. Seid Hassan

Professor of Economics

Murray State University

Date of Conference

April 9 - 10, 2020

Venue
Tennessee State University

Avon Williams (downtown) Campus

330 10th Avenue North, Nashville, TN 37203

Conveners

Dr. Adebayo Oyebade
Professor of History
Tennessee State University

Nashville, TN 37209

aoye...@tnstate.edu

Dr. Gashawbeza Bekele
Associate Professor of Geography
Tennessee State University

Nashville, TN 37209

gbe...@tnstate.edu

Abstracts/Panel proposals

Each prospective presenter should submit electronically an abstract of 500 words or less to by Friday, Dec. 31, 2019. Abstract prepared as Microsoft Word document should include the presenter’s name, title of paper, institutional affiliation, and contact information (mailing address, phone number, and email address). Please, send abstracts to: tsuafrica...@tnstate.edu (Note that the submission of abstract automatically grants conference organizers the right to publish it in the conference program and website).

Conference Registration Fees
Mandatory non-refundable registration fees for the conference are:

Regular: $75 by Dec. 31, 2019; & $90 by Feb. 15, 2020 (banquet included).
Graduate Students: $30 by Dec. 31, 2019; & $45 by Feb. 15, 2020 (banquet included).
Banquet only: $30 by Feb. 15, 2020.
Please, see the conference website for information on registration.

Publication of Selected Papers
Selected conference papers will be published as a book.

Cornelius Hamelberg

Sep 7, 2019, 9:19:34 AM9/7/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
I could add an extra line if you like:

No offence meant

Just take another look

At the document:

As usual, it was the crazy idiot

Cornelius Ignoramus

poking Chidi the poet

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Cornelius Hamelberg

Sep 7, 2019, 9:19:54 AM9/7/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Your Majesty, Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM,

I’m upset. Am I responding to “nonsense”? Again?

You could skip Part 1 (if it pleaseth thee)

And go straight to Part 2 (immediately!)

In a world in which all things are connected, say, “Pope” in some circles and you generate thoughts of Benedictus Erectus and paedophile priests; a mere mention of “the European Union” to 666 eschatologists and the happy hours end-time priests conjures lurid images of what is identified in the Book of Revelations as “The Whore Of Babylon”, another probable reason why Boris Johnson after re-reading Milton’s Paradise Lost, desperately wants his UK to leave the scene latest 31st October this year, deal or deal. Full stop. Phew – that was a close shave. Thank God, we made it Amen.

One thing about Pope an autodidact is that he never decked himself with a BA, MA, D. Litt, unlike Sierra Leone’s Maada Bio whose head has just been anointed with an Honorary PhD .

Since Brother Buhari is no honorary exception to that syndrome, we should be expecting Don Kperogi to be expressing some displeasure about that propensity – in the case of Atiku, whose case just got thrown out of the door, from rags to riches and in the case of Mr President, a more impressive trajectory from disputed leaving school certificate to a well earned and deserved Honorary PhD.

Your Majesty, you remember all the things you penned in another thread, your self-definition and it made absolute sense to me when you said of yourself,

I am a public poet, I have been writing for more than ten years now on the internet to inspire revolutions, yet some persons expect me to participate in the physical aspect of revolution!

At this point, as people weep over the departure of Comrade Mugabe, I’d like to know (and no beating about the bush please – and strictly no-nonsense) to date, how many revolutions have you inspired?

Remember this line, “Poet is Priest” - so  continue to speak the truth please (and shame the devil)

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Sep 12, 2019, 3:49:11 AM9/12/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
"History will vindicate the just" (Nnamdi Azikiwe).

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Sep 13, 2019, 6:48:35 AM9/13/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
If under the condition of the South Africa xenophobic attacks, what comes into the minds of Nigerians is the commonality of their citizenship, it means that, that is the most crucial aspect of their life as ingrained in the depth of their minds. Any other things are fluid reactions to fluid situations.

CAO.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Sep 13, 2019, 6:48:35 AM9/13/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
“When I stepped inside the aircraft to welcome them, they mobbed me and started singing the Nigerian national anthem, there was nobody there singing about separation, they felt proud to be Nigerian, they rose in unison, that drew tears from me.”-- Allen Onyema (CEO, Air Peace, speaking on Nigerians his Airline evacuated free from South Africa).

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Sep 13, 2019, 4:20:51 PM9/13/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
Current dynamics in literary productions, places much less emphasis on book printing/publishing (hard copy, most of which nobody or very few people reads).

It is surprising that the Association of Nigerian Authors(ANA) still so much places unnecessary emphasis on this old fashioned method of determining who is an author!

CAO.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Sep 14, 2019, 5:10:59 AM9/14/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
Any knowledge construct based on half information, would be half knowledge.

Adeshina Afolayan

Sep 14, 2019, 4:28:55 PM9/14/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Oga Chidi,
I hail you!

One of the elements defining the human condition is our fallibility. This implies that at every point of our existence, we only have half information and half knowledge to go on. It is humanly impossible to achieve epistemic completeness that translates into infallibility.

When you married your beautiful wife, you had only had half information and half knowledge. When the scientist of the early centuries thought the earth was flat, they had half information (or even the wrong one). We also think the earth is spherical now. What would we have tomorrow when we come into new information?

So, there is no "full" knowledge available to any human. We always know in part...

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

OLAYINKA AGBETUYI

Sep 14, 2019, 6:13:51 PM9/14/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Well said Oga Afolayan.

As the Yoruba traditional philosophy puts it: 'Ogbin odun ni; were eemi' (Todays knowledge is seen as relative ignorance in the future.)

Emmanuel Kant the German Enlightenment philosopher agrees when he opined akk knowledge gained through experience is doubtful.

OAA

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Sep 14, 2019, 6:13:51 PM9/14/19
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Adeshina,
I hail you.

Your understanding of the quote is way off the context.

CAO.

OLAYINKA AGBETUYI

Sep 14, 2019, 8:08:00 PM9/14/19
to usaafricadialogue

EDITED

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Sep 15, 2019, 6:57:56 AM9/15/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
Certificates and knowledge are supposed to be used here for the good of humanity, not in "the great beyond". So, acquire them, use them here for the good of humanity and leave them here.

Cornelius Hamelberg

Sep 15, 2019, 6:57:56 AM9/15/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Chidi,

We see through a glass darkly...

Is the glass half empty or is it half full ?

Is he half-literate or semi-illiterate?

Is he a dim wit or a half wit?

How do you define "complete"?

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Sep 15, 2019, 8:49:17 AM9/15/19
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Cornelius,
"Complete" is defined within the contextual provisions of word.

CAO.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Sep 15, 2019, 8:08:08 PM9/15/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
While taking action against those who bombed the Oil facility in Saudi Arabia, action should also be taken against those who bombs civilians in Yemen.

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Sep 16, 2019, 3:43:48 PM9/16/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
Before the invention of the press, scholars were publishing their works on scrolls. Now that there is internet technology, scholars should use the current publishing platform. That is "digital scholarship".

Cornelius Hamelberg

Sep 16, 2019, 3:57:54 PM9/16/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

 Chidi,

Is half of the truth equal to a complete lie?

In Alagba Falola’s forum, epistemology is a very important word, a strong word that poets and associative thinkers don’t have to mess around with, even if, when we divest such a word of its forbidding aura which says “for experts only” it is after all just another unholy word that we can play around with, dissect, disembowel, bonce around, even reduce to its composite phoneme-i-cal constituents and reassemble in this and that poetic formation. Words begin to lose their respect for meaning or precision when for example we start – in some exaggerated praise-singer mode, comparing some dwarf with Kwame Anthony Appiah with regard to both quality and quantity of significant output.

As a storyteller, you know how anecdotal I like to be: 54 years ago day one of our introduction to philosophy started with Hugh Kenner asking us to write an essay on the ridiculous topic, “Can a dead man feel?” followed by a short reading list consisting of Bertrand Russell’s “The Problems of Philosophy” and some chapters on Happiness, the virtuous life etc from Aristotle’s Ethics, which figures eminently in Anglican theology...

From which point on, as far as knowledge output was concerned, the parameters of what we know, what we can know (and of course what we ignoramuses ought to know) has been severely limited, from a purely philosophical point of view.

My view of “history as gossip” continues and from that point of view it is easily maintained that “half a loaf is better than no bread” and in many cases we don’t get an all-round picture and have to satisfy ourselves with the less than satisfactory “Half a loaf is better than no bread”. I have read quite a bit about The Second World War, know an awful lot which is more than enough, about the Holocaust all exclusively from Western, Israeli/ Jewish and pro-Israeli sources ( I thank GOD that our reception committee once chased Robert Faurisson out of town when he arrived at some Stockholm venue to deliver his criminal holocaust denial diatribe) and up to today I have still not heard or listened to Mister Hitler or Benito Amilcare Andrea Mussolini’s apology or their “the other side of the story” - also, unlike the Israel and the Palestinian issue in which I am well acquainted with both sides of the reported histories, there are still outstanding matters when it comes to the Biafra War, even after several rounds of ping-pong back and forth between our Baba Salimonu Kadiri and one Obi Nwakanma ; maybe about that too you can summarise the residue in terms of “Complete" is defined within the contextual provisions of word.”

I have spent quite some time unravelling intentional meaning in this one sentence which occurs in the Holy Quran and which has been a moot point of debate between the Shia and the Sunni - the emphasis being at which point in time was this revelation made (Surat Al-Ma'idah :3) // Quran 5:3 :

 “Forbidden unto you (for food) are carrion and blood and swineflesh, and that which hath been dedicated unto any other than Allah, and the strangled, and the dead through beating, and the dead through falling from a height, and that which hath been killed by (the goring of) horns, and the devoured of wild beasts, saving that which ye make lawful (by the death-stroke), and that which hath been immolated unto idols. And (forbidden is it) that ye swear by the divining arrows. This is an abomination. This day are those who disbelieve in despair of (ever harming) your religion; so fear them not, fear Me! This day have I perfected your religion for you and completed My favour unto you, and have chosen for you as religion al-Islam. Whoso is forced by hunger, not by will, to sin: (for him) lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.”

The polemical discussion has usually been about the meaning of " completed"  - which some argue means that nothing more can be added to that which has been completed...

Na Wah O!

I leave you with this quote to ponder over: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=378114033127484&set=gm.462806261243088&type=3&theater&ifg=1

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Sep 18, 2019, 3:19:55 AM9/18/19
to USA African Dialogue Series
We cherry pick "truth" in Africa! If the truth Julius Malema spoke about xenophobia in South Africa is spoken about an unwholesome situation in Nigeria, by a Nigerian, the supporters of the government in power would have labeled the speaker "unpatriotic"!
It is loading more messages.