Idioms of Ethno-Religious Othering in Northern Nigeria

Moses Ebe Ochonu

Mar 1, 2022, 11:33:24 AM3/1/22
to USAAfricaDialogue
Here, below, is a link to my piece on how idioms of ethno-religious othering and devaluation are manufactured, reinforced, and mobilized to deepen existing fissures and tensions between ethnic, religious, and sectarian communities in Northern Nigeria.

Obododimma Oha

Mar 1, 2022, 12:02:44 PM3/1/22
to USAAfricaDialogue
Great piece. What if you place it on your blog?

-Oha.

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Moses Ebe Ochonu

Mar 1, 2022, 12:24:13 PM3/1/22
to USAAfricaDialogue
Oga Obododimma, I no get blog o. I've never warmed up to the idea of having a personal blog. Seems like too much pressure at a time when I'm trying to de-stress my life and reduce my online footprint and the intellectual labor it entails.

Obododimma Oha

Mar 1, 2022, 12:33:59 PM3/1/22
to USAAfricaDialogue

toyin.f...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2022, 12:33:59 PM3/1/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Moses:

Some years back, Professor Bolaji Aluko made a case for enacting laws on stereotypes.

I am from Ibadan, and the city takes the lead in receiving negative jokes and stereotypes. The compilation is depressing and I cumulated them into an essay.

The private zone is terrible.

TF

Moses Ochonu

Mar 1, 2022, 1:46:29 PM3/1/22
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Oga Falola, Ibadan has been supplying Nigeria and Nigerians with a seemingly endless stream of material for comedic relief for years. Lately, with the explosion of the Nigerian online humor skits industry, Ibadan jokes and stereotypes have once again taken center stage.

Sent from my iPhone