Political Polarization Is Pushing Evangelicals to a Historic Breaking Point

Toyin Falola

Jul 24, 2022, 7:00:58 PM7/24/22
to dialogue, Yoruba Affairs

Cornelius Hamelberg

Jul 25, 2022, 9:15:29 AM7/25/22
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

At first I thought that the headline was a piece of Pan-African news. How else can I explain this? For context, my reaction came immediately after  first thing this morning, reading this daunting piece of news about some forthcoming trouble in the sky, looming high on the peace in  the Middle East horizon :

 Ehud Barak: Iran Can Transform Itself into a Nuclear Power—And It's Too Late to Stop It By Surgical Attack

Fundamentally speaking, I was therefore in a state of  rare panic. I, I. I. That was the mode I was in and for one mad moment I thought that the screaming headline

Political Polarization Is Pushing Evangelicals to a Historic Breaking Point”

was about Nigeria and Nigeria’s various fundamentalist Christian orientations in reaction to the Muslim-Muslim ticket  was ”at a historic breaking point”   - i.e. Nigerian Catholics ( mostly of the Igbo  East - and of course Bishop Hassan Kukah’s Sokoto flock in the true North)  the various Protestant denominations mostly in the Yoruba West, but generously scattered throughout Benue, the zone known as the so called Middle Belt  and everywhere else in the country, namely the diverse  Pentecostals and  Evangelicals and their  mega churches organised under the powerful patriarchal  albeit charismatic leadership of local pastors .

 Indeed, collectively and united  - if politically conscious, a force that would be one to reckon with should they wish to take collective action - in reaction to the idea of a “ Muslim - Muslim ticket” when but for the grace of God,  in fact but for Jesus having instructed them “ Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven” - and “ Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's” - for a surety, collectively we are to imagine that they would much prefer not just a piece of the cake but the whole cake  - for a change, under the auspices of a Christian - Christian ticket and lest we forget, it is Jesus and not Muhammad that’s head of the Church…

What a relief , ( anti-climax)  that ”Political Polarization Is Pushing Evangelicals to a Historic Breaking Point”  is about Nigeria's Evangelical brothers and sisters problems  in the United States