Fwd: Robert Mugabe hired an assassin to kill me and bombed my offices but he couldn’t silence me – The Sun

Okey Iheduru

Sep 17, 2019, 11:26:54 AM9/17/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Spencer Soosman

Sep 18, 2019, 8:08:37 PM9/18/19
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
I found this article to be extremely mind-opening. Growing up in a country where there is freedom of speech, it is crazy to think a person doing their job for the newspapers was assigned to be murdered by a high official. Mugabe was clearly trying to hide things from a public standpoint and the writer was only doing his job to release information to the public. In the article, it says he was arrested six times and even found out he was supposed to be murdered before the bombing of the Daily News company. If it were me, it would of took me a warning of being arrested to stop writing about the issue. Clearly, the writer was passionate about what he was doing and in the U.S. we are fortunate to have the freedom to pursue many of our passions without the government or people trying to stop us.

josie milisci

Sep 30, 2019, 5:18:30 PM9/30/19
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
This article brings attention to the very sad fact that most countries do not have the same level of freedom of speech as America. This article highlights the difference between freedom of speech and censorship in different countries, and the lengths Zimbabwe is willing to go to in order to hide information from its citizens. Furthermore, I find It astonishing that this did not get more press, which implies that it is a fairly common practice in Zimbabwe and possibly other African countries as well. It would be hard to publish articles about this or about other similar instances given the lengths high officials will go to deter news sources.

Pay Prostok

Oct 1, 2019, 12:46:54 AM10/1/19
to USA Africa Dialogue Series

As someone whom finds free speech to be the foundation of democracy this is terrifying. Writing about injustices should win one awards not death threats. Mugabe used his power to scare his own people. Which continued his three-decade long rule. Through, what is increasingly alarming is the relationship to the media. With “fake news” working as campaign slogans, more people than ever don’t trust the media. This puts journalists at risk.