BANNED MUSIC, No. 25: Stevie Wonder, “It’s Wrong (Apartheid)”

Toyin Falola

May 24, 2020, 1:58:16 PM5/24/20
to dialogue, Yoruba Affairs, Yoruba Affairs

In 1985, the South African government banned Stevie Wonder’s song “It’s Wrong (Apartheid)” because it explicitly condemned the government: “the wretchedness of Satan’s wrath / will come to seize you at last / because even he frowns upon the deeds you are doing / and you know deep in your heart / you’ve no covenant with God / because he would never countenance people abusing.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbG3zIs4Q4E

Patrick Effiboley

May 24, 2020, 2:36:33 PM5/24/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
THANK YOU FR SHARING BUT THE VIDEO IS STILL UNAVAILABLE.

Dr Emery Patrick EFFIBOLEY
Assistant Professor,
Department of History and Archaeology, University of Abomey-Calavi
Andrew W. Mellon Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of the Witwatersrand,Johannesburg,(2014-2016)

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Toyin Falola

May 24, 2020, 2:37:56 PM5/24/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

It opens at my end.

O O

May 24, 2020, 6:37:01 PM5/24/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
It opens at my end too.

Sent from my iPhone

O O

May 24, 2020, 6:37:18 PM5/24/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
My most hated word in Afrikaans. Indeed, an original “sin” against an original continent.

Sent from my iPhone

Gloria Emeagwali

May 25, 2020, 8:42:23 AM5/25/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
One of the useful organizational and inspirational tools  in the battle against apartheid was pan-Africanism. I suggest that the editors of the planned text “Xenophobia, Nativism .....”  should solicit a chapter on Pan-Africanism and the struggle against
apartheid. That chapter may focus on the southern African frontline states and their sacrifices, and  their contributions in military and other means. West and Northern African roles in the  pan- Africanist endeavor should also be reflected on.

Sent from my iPhone

Moses Ebe Ochonu

May 25, 2020, 9:52:25 AM5/25/20
to USAAfricaDialogue
I agree with Gloria. I have a forthcoming piece in which one of my arguments is that the struggle against apartheid required black South Africans to become more "African," to embrace a divergent menu of pan-African solidarity. In other words, as the denizens of apartheid were trying to de-Africanize and "tribalize" them, black South African activists responded defiantly by moving in the opposite direction. Today, one could argue that some or many of them feel that, with apartheid defeated, they have reached a juncture when they no longer need the organizational, programmatic, and epistemological crutch of pan-Africanism, hence their support, tacit or declared, for Afrophobia.

OLAYINKA AGBETUYI

May 25, 2020, 5:59:37 PM5/25/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
I have given my own initial  reaction to post Apartheid realities in South Africa:

Pan- Africanism needs to run both ways:   South Africans need to be employed in equal rates in Ibadan, Oturkpo, Ife, Kano, Enugu, Abakaliki, and Onisha for the policy to be successful Otherwise crying foul against South Africans is hypocritical.

'Help me liberate my country' is different from "help me liberate 'our' country".  Yes, pan- Africanism is a political liberationist tool; yes it is just that-political.  We have cited the case of Nigerien Almajerai in Osogbo to buttress our case.  That comparison still stands.  Osogbo is not their original abode and if the case is allowed indefinitely control of Osogbo economy will flounder.  There is a limit to what is allowable under ECOWAS protocol and pan- Africanism

We have seen how fellow Nigerians ( Fulani herdsmen) are being turned away from southwestern and southeastern cities on the basis of cultural differentiation.

 Criticism of South Africans is tantamount to what Yoruba calls ' şore fúni ka lóşo tii' ( exacting perennially profits from a supposedly selfless good turn)

Let us be real.

OAA

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Julius Eto

May 26, 2020, 2:45:36 PM5/26/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Dear OAA,

I agree with some of your submissions but reject your assertion that "South Africans need to be employed in equal rates in Ibadan, Oturkpo, Ife, Kano, Enugu, Abakaliki, and Onisha for the policy to be successful. Otherwise crying foul against South Africans is hypocritical."
First, most SAfricans do not leave their country to other parts of the continent to seek employment except those taken there by their companies like Multichoice. Many other Africans (Ghanaians, Togolese, Chadians, Liberians, Cameroonians, Nigeriens, Malians, Mauritanians etc) are employed in Nigeria, some even holding political and elective offices.
Second, a unified Africa will be a federation or confederation with autonomous entities but with a common currency, defence, foreign policy. Like in every true federation, you cannot violate the internal laws of a constituent entity if you aren't from there. Can a New Yorker flagrantly violate Californian laws just because he is an American?
My brother, Pan-Africanism is more about our collective military security as a united people and continental economic integration for rapid development from pooled resources.

[...]

May 26, 2020, 4:13:30 PM5/26/20
to USAAfricaDialogue
Dear Prof Gloria,

I totally agree with your submissions that:"One of the useful organizational and inspirational tools in the battle against apartheid was pan-Africanism. I suggest that the editors of the planned text “Xenophobia, Nativism .....” should solicit a chapter on Pan-Africanism and the struggle against apartheid. That chapter may focus on the southern African frontline states and their sacrifices, and their contributions in military and other means."

You also suggested that "West and Northern African roles in the pan-Africanist endeavor should also be reflected on."

My dear sister, while the West African (Ghana, Guinea, Mali, Nigeria etc) role was positive, that of North Africa (probably except Gamal Abdel-Nasser's Egypt) was unremarkable. NAfrica was seized from the original black owners who were largely exterminated and the rest enslaved by invaders and slave traders from the Arabian peninsula. So it's not a surprise that the Arab racists who see themselves as whites only paid lip-service to the anti-apartheid struggle. How did the Afrikaner-run apartheid enclave get oil supplies? There were (and, it's believed, still are) secret black slave/trafficking markets in NAfrica (Mauritania, Libya etc).

Nasser, the high priest of Pan-Arabism, helped the anti-apartheid struggle to undermine the then Israeli-SAfrican romance and get the black continent's political support on the global stage for his Mideast (especially Palestinian) and world politics. Gaddafi, also a pan-Arabist, was an expansionist who eyed the continent for Arab domination, hoodwinking its leaders to believe that he was one of them. Like Nasser, he saw himself as the authentic leader/voice of the Arab world, leading the charge against Israel over Palestine and, of course, SAfrica over the apartheid regime's closeness to the Jewish state.

However, Gaddafi supported the murderous Arab minority Khartoum authorities in their plunder, rape and genocide against the majority black Sudanese population.

Therefore, the editors of the planned text should take note of this.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/usaafricadialogue/CAAHJfPpXbKUh0YASp2qN_RfSSaUvZjB8O-rozi6-G7TcvQZB2Q%40mail.gmail.com.

OLAYINKA AGBETUYI

May 26, 2020, 6:24:00 PM5/26/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Dear JE

I am all with you if we are talking about a confederation of African states.  Anything beyond that is frustrations of Nigeria writ catastrophically large on the African stage.

I have perhaps said this before the way to pacify aggrieved South Africans is to promote joint ventures of the type you mentioned  between South African companies and other African nations and encourage them to go out there as part of management staffers.

Anything short of that with such large exodus to South Africa is replacing one set of external colonisers with another continental insiders with only skin colours being the difference while we pretend we dont understand the true nature of what is going on in the ensuing unequal power relations.

Of course they will continue to fight back in a messy way.

OAA

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Cornelius Hamelberg

May 26, 2020, 8:07:43 PM5/26/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Julius Eto,

There you go again.

Thus far, not a word from you about China or some of the multinationals that own the mines and more or less everything else, the economies of whole nations including puppet governments

When you begin with,” Pan-Africanism is more about our collective military security as a united people…” I can see where you’re coming from.  Therefore AFRICOM ?

Think a little further into the future. Don’t you want to include North Africa as part of your “United People”?

 Check this out:  The Military strength of African countries

I can see that you are being groomed for the job, for the time being as a little agent for the views that you are presently expressing, and who knows, in time to come, maybe, as the First President of Africa South of the Sahara?

If not, then please, kindly take note that there is no room for tribalism and racism in the Africa that optimists envision. Remember (to keep it in your mind and don’t forget) that the Prophet Moses was born and bred in Egypt and that Egypt was and is still part of the African Continent, as are the other Counties of North Africa.

We despise the anti-Arab racism and xenophobia that’s implicit in what you say here:

[...]

 Just as you advocate improving  South Africa – West Africa business relations, so too better integration of the North-South partnerships should be most welcome, for the prosperity of the continent – the whole continent  – and you should do your best to avoid playing into the enemy’s hands by inadvertently or  as you seems to be doing,  by deliberately promoting their “ divide and rule “ policies as if you don’t know any better, possibly thinking that there’s nothing to learn from history. If anything, you should be promoting mutual understanding between all people, and not only in Nigeria but also in the rest of Africa where of course, North Africa is predominantly Muslim, just as Northern Nigeria is predominantly Muslim!

 We can discuss South Africa as much as you want – but seriously. And what do you have to say about Alegria for example.  My friends tell me that during the Liberation struggle the Algerian Jews opted to become French citizens instead of Algerians.

Julius Eto

May 27, 2020, 3:49:39 PM5/27/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Dear Cornelius,

I will address the China question shortly.

The imperialist AFRICOM will die naturally under a united African military command.

On your question, "Don’t you want to include North Africa as part of your 'United People'?," my answer is NO because they are anti-black racists and their loyalty is to the Arab world, not Africa.

You insult (libel?) me when you claim/allege: "I can see that you are being groomed for the job, for the time being as a little agent for the views that you are presently expressing, and who knows, in time to come, maybe, as the First President of Africa South of the Sahara?" My adherence to Pan-Africanism is not aimed at becoming "the First President of Africa South of the Sahara."

And may I ask: Are you an Arab agent just because you espouse their worldview? You seem not bothered about the Arab-inspired Trans-Saharan slave trade, the secret black slave trade/trafficking markets in NAfrica (Libya, Mauritania etc), widespread anti-African racism in Arab countries etc.

I do not doubt "that Egypt was and is still part of the African Continent, as are the other Counties of North Africa," but who and where were/are the original inhabitants/owners of these areas/lands (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, Sudan etc)? Exterminated and the rest enslaved?

Please who are the "We" in your assertion, "We despise the anti-Arab racism and xenophobia that’s implicit in what you say here"?

There is no "anti-Arab racism and xenophobia," in what I have written. Provide counter-facts to impeach the facticity of my submissions. Even the Arabs (and you too) know that they do not regard black Africans as their human equals.

Another insult: "you should do your best to avoid playing into the enemy’s hands by inadvertently or as you seems to be doing, by deliberately promoting their 'divide and rule' policies." There is nothing to divide since the minority Arabs (and their Berber, Bedouin cousins) who rule NAfrica with an iron hand have already divided Africa with their racist policies in their countries against blacks such as is glaring in Sudan where the terrorist Janjaweed, backed by the Khartoum authorities, plunders, rapes and commits genocide against our people. This was why South Sudan wanted out and became independent, from Arab neocolonialism and enslavement.

I agree with you that "better integration of the North-South partnerships should be most welcome, for the prosperity of the continent – the whole continent," only if your Arab/NAfrican friends genuinely believe in it and eschew racism, a form of tribalism (assabiya) which the Koran and our revolutionary Holy Prophet of Allah frown at. Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) recognised the then cronic (incurable?) Arab tribalism as dividing the Ummah. And you Cornelius know this. In the present case, you are like a black person denying that there is Caucasian racism.

And what do I "have to say" about Algeria for example? A bad example. For example, as i have noted elsewhere, despite all that he did (risks and sacrifices) for the Algerian revolution/independence as its foremost anti-colonial spokesman/diplomat or ambassador, the new nation's racist so-called socialist pan-Arab leaders refused to honour radical black activist intellectual Frantz Fanon. No monument, not in the hall of fame! Little or small wonder that your friends told you "that during the Liberation struggle the Algerian Jews opted to become French citizens instead of Algerians."

Advising me further, you wrote: "If anything, you should be promoting mutual understanding between all people, and not only in Nigeria but also in the rest of Africa where of course, North Africa is predominantly Muslim, just as Northern Nigeria is predominantly Muslim!"

My brother, as a traditional Nkrumahist, i am not espousing Christian Pan-Africanism because there is nothing like that. Pan-Africanism is for all black people---Muslims, Christians, traditionalists, atheists, free thinkers, naturalists etc----although it is strictly not a religious ideology or movement. It's your racist Arab friends and Caucasian supremacists that are trying to divide blacks along ethno-religious lines, not Pan-Africanists who are striving to unite our people on the continent and in the diaspora.

Pan-Africanists have always extended a hand of genuine friendship to Arabs and their cousins in Africa who, like other imperialists like the West, Russia, China, India etc are only eyeing the continent's land and resources. Our High Priest (Dr. Kwame Nkrumah) married an Arab (Egyptian). We have stood by you at the UN, Palestine etc. So we do not hate Arabs, but we detest their racism, opportunism and sponsorship/support, whether alleged or real, of turmoil and terrorism in Africa.

Chinese and Arabs are gradually taking over Africa. The communists (overpopulated Chinese) are buying millions of hectares of land in communities all over Africa as if they have a future project to resettle some of their people on our continent which they have practically enslaved with loans mortgaged with airports, railways, oil and other facilities.
Private sector chiefs, politicians, intellectuals, journalists etc should help check terrorism and neocolonialism/imperialism (expansionism) in Africa.

OLAYINKA AGBETUYI

May 27, 2020, 8:31:11 PM5/27/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
JE:

I know a Moroccan who will fiercely object to being categorized as Arab or Berber.  Just because they are not as black as you and I does not mean some North Africans cannot be categorised as Africans.  In fact the term Africans originally referred to North Africans before the advent of Islam and the trans Saharan slave trade.

However your objection to Arab Muslim North Africa in the African Union is one of the formidable obstacle to the Union and the reason a confederation is ideal.

Like I have said in previous posts it will be close to two centuries for conditions for closer integration and prospects for a Union evolves in the disparate polities.

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 01:07:45 AM GMT+1, Cornelius Hamelberg <hamelberg...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Cornelius Hamelberg

May 27, 2020, 8:31:17 PM5/27/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Brother Julius Eto,

The way things are in the United States today, we cannot say of Trump, what was said at the funeral oration of General Washington, “A citizen, first in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen”

Since Black People in America are catching hell and being decimated  on a daily basis by  “Racist Terror”  with the latest documented evidence of savage racist police brutality - the cold-blooded murder of Brother George Floyd without even a squeak from Trump, not even the bogus house negroes will pray  for their forgiveness because, I’m sure that this is the kind of mood that all of us are in. Right now.

Merely labelling ARICOM “imperialist”  and your prophecy that “under a united African military command” the aforementioned “ imperialist AFRICOM will die naturally” is only day-dreaming, even if what you assume is that “The imperialist AFRICOM” will soon submit to your “united African military command”, sort of “naturally”.

When you eventually address the presence of China in Africa  - and the Caribbean ( Jamaica has been taken over completely) you should reconsider/ examine/ re-examine  Mao’s most famous idea about what he called the “Paper Tiger”.  And so, we see the US under Trump in complete disarray, Trump already brought to his knees, his touted economic gains in ruins, unemployment on the astronomical rise, his popularity down the drain, his chances of re-election annihilated by what he refers to as “the invisible enemy”

 Your rejection of all of North Africa, and the grounds of your rejection is unacceptable and is incompatible with the truth because Islam in Africa – as both religion and ideology is indeed a unifying factor and there is strong support for this thesis from Edward Wilmot Blyden through El-hajj Malik el-Shabazz to the latest African Union Summits. We cannot afford to neglect or underestimate the influence of Islam as a factor in Pan-Africanism, African unity,  Islam and Islamic identities as an important factor in international relations, the financial well-being of the continent, you can’t even afford to leave out the contributions of the Arab Development Bank in any kind of calculation you want to make about the present and the future.

 A conscious person does not turn a blind eye to where we are now because of ancient slavery, the more recent history of slavery – The Jesus of Lubeck, the Middle Passage, Professor Tony Martin on slavery, racism,  post-colonialism,  Louis Farrakhan,  islamophobia, the reality of Israel and the Arabs which you can see immediately in these maps, the land, and religion issue of  Israel and the Palestinians, and so on and so forth.

 About you or anyone else “being groomed for the job”, I didn’t mean to insult you – I know and have known honourable people who have been “groomed for the job”, some as professors, others as journalists, opinion-makers, some as sitting presidents...

 Is this meant to be a funny question, “Please who are the "We" in your assertion, "We despise the anti-Arab racism and xenophobia that’s implicit in what you say here"?

Please, who do you think we are?

 Dear Julius, please permit me to stop here for now with the promise that I’ll get back to you to tell you who “we” are and to address all the matters that you have raised in this your post.

 Sincerely,

 Cornelius

Julius Eto

May 28, 2020, 11:24:12 AM5/28/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Dear Cornelius,

Thank you sir for your response(s) and clarifications. However, please take note that we do not want to emphasize Christianity, Islam or any other religion in Pan-Africanism to avoid further division/fissions.

Still on Beijing, please read a piece entitled, "The Chinese are here," by "Abdurafiu" in The Guardian newspaper (Lagos, Nigeria) today where he wrote: "Yes, we want the Chinese, but not as our masters or landlords.We must therefore be on our guard. There must be a firm lease agreement when land is given to foreigners renewable every 10 or 15 years as the case may be depending on the use to which the land is to be put."
Virus-free. www.avast.com

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Current archives at http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue

Early archives at http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html

---

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/usaafricadialogue/1026594744.413484.1590608909569%40mail.yahoo.com.

--

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Current archives at http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue

Early archives at http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html

---

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/usaafricadialogue/CAC50OP-o7hTo6V5rc7873QMoYLqQGRtsTHwBHR7n9Xh0XVEDeA%40mail.gmail.com.

Julius Eto

May 28, 2020, 11:24:20 AM5/28/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Dear OAA,

Maybe your friend is one of the black Moroccans, descendants of the disinherited/dispossessed or extirpated aboriginals. If he is Caucasian ('white'), then he just wants you to feel good or that he is not a racist. If he/she is a Tuareg or Bedouin, he/she probably assumes that you believe that he/she is or regard/accept him/her as black. All strategy to use or get your political support because when the chips are down, Mideast (Arab and NAfrican) interest is paramount. Let's not deceive ourselves or be hoodwinked.

You wrote:"In fact the term Africans originally referred to North Africans before the advent of Islam and the trans Saharan slave trade." Do you mean the original black inhabitants of NAfrica before the trans-Saharan slave traders/raiders swept in from the Arabian Peninsula?

I don't agree with you that my "objection to Arab Muslim North Africa in the African Union is one of the formidable obstacle to the Union." Instead, it would help facilitate the union's smooth realization. It's not compulsory or necessary that NAfrica, especially the Maghreb, be part of the union since they already belong to the Arab League and other Mideast bodies. But if they want to be part of our envisioned or envisaged union, they must purge themselves of brazen racism and disdain for black Africa.

However, i object to your use of the expression,"Arab Muslim North Africa," because there is no Christian or Muslim/Islamic Pan-Africanism. We have nothing against the great progressive religion of Allah (Islam) with its liberation theology. It's the Arab elites and their hirelings in Africa and elsewhere who are undermining Islam. As I stated earlier, the pontiff of Pan-Africanism (Dr. Nkrumah) married an Arab Muslim.

So,my brother you should have used the phrase "Arab North Africa" without the word "Muslim."

[...]

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/usaafricadialogue/DB6PR04MB29829ABE814A58E674444872A68E0%40DB6PR04MB2982.eurprd04.prod.outlook.com.

OLAYINKA AGBETUYI

May 28, 2020, 1:42:28 PM5/28/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Dear JE.

You still refuse to accept that there are non Black North African ethnicities who fell before the onslaught of  Prophet Muhammed's initial crusade who lived for centuries there before Islam and after.  It is a fact of history.  There are many non Arab/ non Berber minority/ non Black ethnicities in Morocco today.

The term Africans originally referred to North Africans who have been living in the littoral part the region since at least 500BCE.  It was after circum-navigating the continent in the 15th CE that the Europeans discovered that people in sub Saharan Africa lived on the same continent as North Africans and therefore collectively referred to them by that previously known name.  Soyinka premised the title of his long poem Ògún Abibimãn on a similar argument to yours: a refusal to accept the same group name as Arab North Africans given to sub- Saharan Africans by the Europeans.  So for him Abibimān is the surrogate name for sub-Saharan Africa.  It is therefore paradoxical that the original owners of the name Africans are to be excluded from a union formed in their name.

Yes, since Islamization a millenium and a half years ago their overall interests may be middle eastern, ( but the term refers to a cultural geography rather than a specific ethnic identity) their race is not homogenous.  Its like Egypt. At a time Black Nubians ( present day Sudanese) ruled for 200 years in Egypt but they ruled over Blacks and non Blacks as well as Jews as the biblical stories of Joseph and Moses remind us. Colour racism was not an issue then as the19th Europeans propelled it.

The skin colour of the littoral part of North Africa has been non tropical-Black hundreds of years before the coming of Islam precisely because of the determinant effect of climate on colour ( their ancestors did not live in the tropics for generations.)  It is for this reason you find Indians living in the tropical zones looking every inch like sub- Saharan Africans but for their non- kinked straight hair while the Indians in the temperate zones are remarkably lighter.  It is for the same reason there are more brown-eyed southern europeans like the Spanish and Italians than the Germans and the the Dutch.  Inter-marriages account for the rest of the story.

I would need to see the authoritative texts on the genocide of North African Blacks.

Julius Eto

May 28, 2020, 4:17:34 PM5/28/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Dear OAA,

Thanks for your effort but we take histories on Africa and Africans written by outsiders (many of who are racists) with a pinch of salt.

Tragic that black Africans did not keep written records of their history/histories.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/usaafricadialogue/DB6PR04MB29825C8813ECFA4A5DCBBBA8A68E0%40DB6PR04MB2982.eurprd04.prod.outlook.com.

Gloria Emeagwali

May 28, 2020, 5:22:10 PM5/28/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Non-Berber , non-Arab and non-Black! Who are these people?

Sent from my iPhone

OLAYINKA AGBETUYI

May 28, 2020, 6:15:23 PM5/28/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
GE. I accidentally erased your response.

They exist just in the same way apart from the three Nigerian largest ethnicities more than 250 others exist who will detest being swallowed by the big three.  They cherish their individualities.

OAA

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Cornelius Hamelberg

May 29, 2020, 2:00:20 PM5/29/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Brother Julius Eto,

Let’s travel from your very latest to your earliest in this thread.

 From Sunday onwards I’ll be taking a serious look at all your other submissions in this thread , but right now it’s  still Shavout in heart and mind

 (There’s the Quranic paradigm in which the Angel Gabriel communicates via the Prophet of Islam, salallahu alaihi wa salaam, the objections that the kuffar, the sceptics, and the other interlocutors made from time to time, so  that throughout the Quran we have this ongoing dialogue, punctuated and interspersed with “Qul” – say - answer them with the following…)

Now we are reduced to a similar dialogue in this thread, except that I am not directly in communication with  Allah Subhan wa ta ’ala’s emissary, the Angel Gabriel , but the kinds of questions you ask about the current or future role of Islam in the United States of Africa that you envision, have already been presupposed and answered in the Holy Quran  - but I’ll refrain from quoting directly from it, for the moment, since you are not a Muslim and therefore the Quran is not any Divine Authority for you.

 You say, “we do not want to emphasize Christianity, Islam or any other religion in Pan-Africanism to avoid further division/fissions.”

That’s a non-starter because among the over 3,000 different ethnicities of Africa,  and as many languages, Christianity, Islam and other religions/ways of life are  at the core identities of the people living in the content of Africa. So religion,  the ideals of Islam and Christianity and other religions, cultures, ways of life are very important unifying factors that cannot be ignored or overlooked when drawing up any grand schemes of continental African unity, whether political, social or economic  - Nigeria is a microcosm of the complexity that the planners and visionaries face. ( Interestingly enough, a few decades ago, Wole Soyinka said that he would nominate Swahili as the continent’s language, if Africa were to have a ( one continental language – he may have changed his mind since he made that suggestion since there’s the sobering reality of the United States where Spanish is  a very second contender not only in California  and maybe in Florida and Texas  too,  Texas after all, used to belong to Mexico, remember ?)

 So, let us agree that when it comes to language and religion, North Africa is more formidably united than your Africa South of the Sahara. I should also like to point out that Berbers come in many different colours, from white to blue-black  - and that many centuries ago, many Berbers converted to Judaism, just as ages ago – well, we still have the legends about the Khazars, as famously highlighted in Arthur Koestler’s  “The Thirteenth Tribe” – that the King of Khazars converted to Judaism  together with all the subjects in his kingdom , so that  the reading of Yehuda Halevi ‘s Kuzari  is recommended reading for some potential converts to Judaism. I only mention this because in the spiritual and ideological fight that’s going on between Christian missionary zeal and Islam for the souls of Africans, there’s no telling what the near future might bring.

 It’s all about Survival

How good and how pleasant it would be before God and man,

To see the unification of all Africans “ ( Bob Marley: Africa Unite

 Now, Sir Julius, think,

“How good and how pleasant it would be before God and man,

To see the unification of all Africans”

Wouldn’t it be nice and easy if instead of the unending “divide and rule” the whole continent of Africa was to bite the bullet, to unite and to convert to Islam?

I wonder how Mwalimu Julius Nyerere would have answered that question.

Julius Eto, hold your fire I understand that from your point of view, it is an outrageous question.

Cornelius Hamelberg

May 29, 2020, 4:13:23 PM5/29/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Correction: should read “where Spanish is a very strong second contender…

Something to chew on the 27 African States that are currently members of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation ( OIC)

About your namesake Mwalimu Julius Nyerere, taking into consideration the status of Islam in Tanzania, that Dar es Salaam was the capital of Tanzania, that Swahili is the main language spoken in Tanzania it’s difficult to understand the Mwalimu’s attitude here: Mwalimu Julius Nyerere and Islam

 In Nigeria, neither Gowon, nor Obasanjo nor Goodluck Jonathan ever expressed any such reservations, so, Tanzania under Mwalimu Nyerere cannot be the litmus test

 By the way during the Nyerere years which mostly coincided with the Swedish Social Democrats in power, Tanzania was Sweden’s favourite country in Africa. ( Traditionally Ethiopia was Sweden’s favourite country in Africa, going back to the days when the Emperor of Ethiopia and the King of Sweden were very good friends  - I also have a few Swedish friends who were actually born in Ethiopia, ( mostly the children of missionaries)  - but of course, during the Apartheid years, the fight against Apartheid  in South Africa was always at the forefront of  Swedish Foreign Policy in Africa

Food for thought: International relations: A United Africa and the world….

Cornelius Hamelberg

May 30, 2020, 4:10:46 PM5/30/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Brother Julius,

Brother George Floyd is an American Brother whose ancestors were kidnapped from Africa and brought to America. If Brother George Floyd had been a Nigerian citizen then we should expect that the Nigerian Government and some other African governments would have been putting it straight to Trump and in no uncertain terms. As we all know, “It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favour of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion”. If Brother George Floyd was a Citizen of the United States of Africa then our president would be demanding the extradition of Police Officer Derek Chauvin to be tried like Eichmann somewhere in Harare,  Pretoria, or Mogadishu and then summarily executed, his ashes deposited in a watery grave…

 Whoopi Goldberg said in the Irish Times 25th April 1998, “Quote of the Week”,

“I dislike this idea that if you’re a black person in America then you must be called an African-American. I’m not an African. I’m an American. Just call me black, if you want to call me anything.”

 When we consider the vicissitudes of history, we know that Brother George Floyd, Brother George Jackson, Brother George Forman and all the other Soul Brothers and Soul Sisters are our own flesh and blood.

 Ironically, “It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees. “, said Emiliano Zapata

 Dear Malcolm wasn’t mincing words or shooting some crap and big grammar from the side of his mouth when he said,

“We are Africans, and we happen to be in America. We are not Americans. We are a people who formerly were Africans who were kidnaped and brought to America. Our forefathers weren't the Pilgrims. We didn't land on Plymouth Rock; the rock was landed on us. We were brought here against our will; we were not brought here to be made citizens. We were not brought here to enjoy the constitutional gifts that they speak so beautifully about today. Because we weren't brought here to be made citizens--today, now that we've become awakened to some degree, and we begin to ask for those things which they say are supposedly for all Americans, they look upon us with hostility and unfriendliness.” ( Malcolm X : The ballot or the bullet)

I Can't Breathe

We Can't Breathe

God don’t like ugly!

So, just for the record, and with full understanding, there’s no reason to expect any apology from me for wholeheartedly endorsing what Joe Biden said the other day: “If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you aren’t black”.

I’m sure that he meant to say, “then you’re not really black”. As we can all see it’s Supremacist colossus Trump’s cold attitude towards racism that’s the reason why Babylon is now falling all over him during his tenure as President. It’s now confirmed that he’s quick when it comes to saying to his underlings, “You’re-fired”, but slow, very slow to react, e.g. when it concerns the spread of the coronavirus with now over 100, 000 Americans dead because he is so slow, much slower than the man he loves to taunt as “ Sleepy Joe”. Between now and the New Year events are going to overtake him, fast. He's already losing his grip. It’s now only a matter of time before he will totally lose it and have to say goodbye to the White House, albeit unwillingly, probably sobbing and even refusing to go.  He will be leaving the Oval Office before he can "make America Great Again". He will be leaving, and when it happens,  in shock and utter disbelief  -  he won’t believe it and even then he’ll probably be thinking that it’s “fake news” when the fat lady sings, “Bye-bye Donald, you’re the worst president that America has ever had,  but it’s all over now and  it’s time for you  to go – and good riddance!”

Brother Julius, there’s the definition that you asked me for, down below:

“Now I know we have great respect

For the sister, and mother it's even better yet

But there's the joker in the street

Loving one brother and killing the other

When the time comes and we are really free

There'll be no brothers left you see”

Curtis Mayfield: We people who are darker than blue

 That’s who the “We” are

Julius Eto

May 31, 2020, 11:42:59 AM5/31/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Dear Brother Cornelius,

Thanks for your sobering piece.

I just wanted to let you know that I am not anti-Arab. I am only dispirited about Arabs' ambivalence and racism towards Africa that has trusted and innocently embraced them as political and even spiritual siblings with common problems.

As i have mentioned many times, the pope of Pan-Africanism (the immortal Dr. Kwame Nkrumah) married an Arab. I don't need to point out the equally odious anti-African racism in Israel, USA, Europe, Asia or SAmerica to make the point that I am not targeting only Arabs as the culprits.

Thanks sir for your understanding. We shall overcome!
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/usaafricadialogue/CAC50OP-iO%2Bqdretsn8KMQPHNUjOfuLK85N79i_yunRKeVZG02A%40mail.gmail.com.

Julius Eto

May 31, 2020, 4:41:39 PM5/31/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Sir Cornelius,

Thanks for your submissions. Although you said, "Julius Eto, hold your fire I understand that from your point of view, it is an outrageous question," I am still tempted to say something on your poser: "Wouldn’t it be nice and easy if instead of the unending “divide and rule” the whole continent of Africa was to bite the bullet, to unite and to convert to Islam?"

I will embrace any viable suggestion to help Africa's unification, such as adopting any of the foreign religions. But this alone is not enough or even necessary. This is because, for example, despite being largely Islamic/Muslims, why have Arabs not actualized the final goal of Pan-Arabism, that is, the unification of the Arab world?

It's the same faulty argument from Marxists who say communism is the answer to all of society's woes. My reply to them is that even if all the African nations become communist but are still divided, they will remain weak, underdeveloped and susceptible to manipulation in their present small sizes by global imperialist powers such as Russia, China, and even the West.

My position also applies to a situation where all the African countries adopt Christianity.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/usaafricadialogue/CAC50OP_FLiH7HNVR%2B1aiXq7tL4FO8yMuCJyETusheo7aFFdoQQ%40mail.gmail.com.

OLAYINKA AGBETUYI

May 31, 2020, 6:16:46 PM5/31/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
JE:

Your panacea of unification is too simplistic, more simplistic than the ideologies you critique.  It assumes human societies can thrive if robotic and that cultural differences are a luxury;  they are a necessity and the bedrock of all freedoms

Cultural differences make your vision of African Union jar.

OAA

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Cornelius Hamelberg

May 31, 2020, 9:45:40 PM5/31/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Sir Julius,

Christianity says that salvation is exclusively through Jesus (Acts 4:10 – 12)

Islam says that the only religion acceptable to God is Islam

These two religions will never agree, or see eye to eye unless, according to Islamic eschatology, Jesus returns as a Muslim and leads the zuhr Salat at the Mosque in Damascus. Etc.

 In the meantime, both religions preach love of fellow human beings, humility, kindness, compassion, heaven…

My proposal that you all unite, unify, bite the bullet and embrace Islam was only a logical proposition but altogether “robotic” - as Lord Agbetuyi has already said. At the very least, all the African colours, ethnicities, tribes would then be united under one religion and you (Julius) would be feeling a little closer to the believers in Sokoto, Ramallah and Cairo. The oath of allegiance could then be about “one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.” Africa might then even have one currency…

Those of you who would be most resistant to the idea of conversion to Islam i.e. the Jews, the Christians, the idolaters, and the polytheists would have to act uniformly as Zombies.  It wouldn’t matter at all to the atheists to declare the Shahada with their tongues and at best only pay lip service to the deity; they might even willingly pay zakat and give in sadaqah  - if these were state laws, but I suppose they would have a problem with praying five times a day. Fasting during the month of Ramadan, rejecting palm wine and all alcohol, especially when thirsty could also be easily done, for health reasons. If for example it was announced from the White House, that the only cure for the coronavirus is conversion to Islam, you never know who among those who want to go to Heaven would not be amongst the infected ones, who would be the first to convert. Let’s say that about 2%  refuse to convert even on pain of going to the fire, these would become the dhimmi

 Re – your question: “…despite being largely Islamic/Muslims, why have Arabs not actualized the final goal of Pan-Arabism, that is, the unification of the Arab world?”

You know the story: the Arabs revolted against the big boss man Turks the and that brought the Ottoman Empire to an end   - displaced by the creation of many mini Arab States. To a great extent, the Arabs are more united through language, culture, and religion, and despite the sectarian Sunni-Shia divide - the rest of the in-fighting, civil wars, etc are due to outside interference implementing their very effective divide and rule strategies.

The Pan-Arab  dream, Arab Nationalism is being effectively channelled  through a very powerful organ known as the Arab League through which cooperation and strong partnerships unite the Arab World

At some levels, the rest of the Muslim world - are brought together through the OIC  of which twenty- seven African nations are already members…

You talk about “Arabs' ambivalence and racism towards Africa

Arabs' ambivalence and racism towards Africa? That’s a gross exaggeration and over-generalisation. I am not aware of anything like that. Read this and reconsider. The Arabs are among the most generous people in this world. I think that Africa and Africans have a much bigger problem with eth tribalism that bedevils many aspects of life in Africa, from politics to justice, equity in governance. So, what about putting your own house in order?

You are unhappy about what you refer to as “the equally odious anti-African racism in Israel, USA, Europe, Asia or SAmerica to make the point that I am not targeting only Arabs as the culprits.”

When it comes to the immigration problems being experienced in  today’s Israel which including the so called Palestinian territories in only twice the size of  Africa’s little Gambia, you must agree that considering the myriad problems that Israel has with the Palestinians, terrorism etc, - SECURITY problems,  the suspicion with which the Israeli authorities are prone to regard  non-Jewish refugees as potential “infiltrators”  it should not be as easy or as convenient for Israel to accommodate great influxes of refugees from the Sudan or Muslims and Christians running away from Boko Haram, when they could and maybe should seek accommodation elsewhere, nearby,  in e.g. Saudi Arabia, Italy, Cameroon, Abia State, Edo State, Lagos…

 Olu Dara: Rain Shower ( My friend Kwatie on guitar there)

Oluwatoyin Vincent Adepoju

Jun 1, 2020, 6:05:21 AM6/1/20
to usaafricadialogue
'We have seen how fellow Nigerians ( Fulani herdsmen) are being turned away from southwestern and southeastern cities on the basis of cultural differentiation.'

OAA

Fulani herdsmen are turned away from  southwestern and southeastern cities, if at all, on account of their growing involvement in terrorism with the support of such elite Fulani as the patrons of Miyetti Allah Fulani Socio-cultural Organisation, and internal colonization across the country, not bcs of cultural differentiation.

thanks

toyin

OLAYINKA AGBETUYI

Jun 1, 2020, 7:50:13 AM6/1/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Well you cannot penalise a whole ethnic group because of alleged infractions of members of that group.

Imagine all  Yoruba citizens being banned from northern states because some of them robbed northern communities.

When Lawrence Anini and his gang terrorised several parts of Nigeria in the 80s members of his ethnicity were were not turned away from the states he terrorised.

On Mon, 25 May 2020 at 22:59, OLAYINKA AGBETUYI <yagb...@hotmail.com> wrote:

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Julius Eto

Jun 1, 2020, 4:56:15 PM6/1/20
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Dear OAA,

I am done with you on this issue because you obviously are hostile to pan-African unification for collective survival and as a path to end conflicts on our continent.

And this your endless emphasis on and balloon-inflation of cultural differences (like our mind colonizers and paymasters), have I denied their existence? But I ask you again, why do you still support the existence of one big Nigeria with its many cultures? The same way (political decision) that made it possible for Nigeria to be forged from many cultures, will make or force Africa to coalesce from global pressures, events and danger. Mark my words.

It is a political decision that has to be taken as was done in the USA, China, Russia etc.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/usaafricadialogue/DB6PR04MB29822359DEDF905EAEEB3D32A68D0%40DB6PR04MB2982.eurprd04.prod.outlook.com.