Kperogi's Nemesis

Toyin Falola

May 28, 2019, 3:53:38 PM5/28/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Sam and Kperogi:

I have written a long essay on Kperogi, but I am not ready to share it. If you, Sam, wants to read it, I can give it to you right away.

The fundamental error, in Kperogi’s framing of politics, as I have argued in the essay, is what I have tentatively called “the limitations of a commitment to a wish list.”  In a “wish list,” you construct a set of ideals (they can actually be right, as in saying that you want to eliminate poverty); they can be realistic (as in saying you no longer want a military regime); they can be pragmatic (as in saying that Atiku should win); they can be fundamental (as in the allegation that there is an intent that the Fulani want to dominate.) I have cumulated Kperogi’s wish list over a ten-year period and created an algorithm.

The problem, as I have argued, is that a wish list, if pursued, creates its own problem. His wish list with respect to the last election that produced Buhari is clear cut, well defined, unapologetic, and principled. He qualifies to be called a committed citizen, irrespective of what his critics would say. Citizenship is an entry to nationalism as well as to identity politics. Contrary to what his critics have said, my essay says that he is not a victim of identitarian politics, that is to say, he is not a “tribalist.” Yes, he uses language in an arrogant manner, but I can create a footnote—human beings use their talents, and that talent can be a dictatorship of some sort.

Here is the flaw, which I will connect to yet another essay on Moses whom I deliberately provoke and who falls into my trap, over and over again, is that you cannot impose your wish list on others. Second, as you relate to others, your wish list actually becomes unsustainable. The capacity to disintegrate that wish list is where the zone of leadership is in a contentious space. Kperogi is flawed in the ring of that space.

Thus, to understand Kperogi’s recent critique of the two professors, you cannot see it as a stand-alone. It is data that feeds part of a larger theory that I am testing.

Stay well, great one.

TF

Toyin Falola

Department of History

The University of Texas at Austin

104 Inner Campus Drive

Austin, TX 78712-0220

USA

512 475 7222 (fax)

http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue

From: dialogue <usaafric...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Samuel Zalanga <szal...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 at 2:27 PM
To: dialogue <usaafric...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: USA Africa Dialogue Series - A Reply to Kperogi.doc

Professor Falola,

Thank you very much for your question. I will try to be very brief in explaining my position and response. But first, I appreciate that a person like you with great experience and high standing can recall the contribution that Professor Agbese made to pro-democracy struggles in Nigeria in the past. I have heard of others apart from the ones you mentioned who used some Nigerian Diaspora Organization in the U.S. as a stepping stone for a more lucrative position in Nigeria. This is an example of what I meant when I said that a single event should not be used to portray a person in a manner that makes him or her look as someone who is just after himself or herself.

With regard to registration of associations or organizations, there are so many dimensions to the issue. In principle I have no objection to groups meeting freely without registration depending on what they are doing, but in practice I have a hermeneutic of suspicion about that because there are different types of groups in a liberal democratic society. But let me begin by saying that a lot about your question has to do with the distrust of the state and the struggle for maintaining social order in a complex society. This is a huge issue that I cannot discuss here. But if after hundreds of years, modern people cannot still create a state that they trust, it suggests we should raise large questions about the nature of the society they have created. Fukuyama wrote a book on Trust where he criticized neoclassical economists for not taking trust seriously as a foundation for creating a well-functioning society. They just focus on exchange.

The freedom do associate in a liberal democratic society is I believe part of a larger pantheon of themes that are characterized as the liberal ideology of liberating human beings from tyranny and oppression. So in this respect, progressive groups such as the one you mentioned in Texas can freely organize and be subversive or operate without formal public registration. In doing so, they have contributed to creating a more just and fair society. The only problem is that this same right or freedom the groups in Texas enjoyed whether registered or not can equally be enjoyed in a liberal democratic society by hate groups such as the ones in Charlottesville. There are lots of things that hate groups can do to make life horrible for others without breaking the law actually.

Some weeks back, I reviewed a documentary film on Charlottesville and other similar groups across the United States whose ideology is white or racial supremacy. When the incident at Charlottesville happened last year, or was it in 2017, I was out of the country. I wanted to really understand what happened and decided to order the documentary film titled "Documenting Hate." One of the major challenges the authorities had which constituted a serious security problem is that many of such groups across the country operated without registration. Security agencies had to use video recordings to capture certain consistent faces that appear in such events and try to track and identify the relevant individuals. I have also used a documentary film on the history and activities of KKK groups where they preach hate message. But in this case, the police are there to even protect them because of the freedom of expression. It is hard for me to see anything that groups with progressive agenda can do to defy the state that right-wing groups cannot equally do. It is like a draw game. Other factors will make the difference but not simple freedom to associate without registration.

Registration of associations can be used by the state to jail or track individuals and prosecute them, but lack of registration also create security situations in the country that people only become worried about when violent events happen. So part of the question is the distrust of the state, depending on what it is, and then part of the question is whether the lack of registration automatically guarantees a better and progressive society, given that any right that a progressive group can claim to propagate its ideas in defiance of the state as in Texas, can equally be claimed by hate groups or something similar in propagating their messages or vison of the new society somewhere in the United States. In my assessment, progressive groups require more effort to build themselves because they are trying to build bridges and promote a more inclusive and just society. It is easier to organize hate groups, because they appeal to the narrow selfish human interests, and they can be smaller in size but much more energetic. And as Mancur Olson argues in “The Rise and Decline of Nations,” for social groups to shape public policy, they do not have to be many in terms of membership. They can be small but if they are highly motivated and well-organized because of the gain and satisfaction they can get from their activities, they will make far more impact that is disproportionate to their size in society.

In support of the line of reasoning that groups should not be judged by someone with regard to the validity or utility of their ideas in the public square, Juan Stuart Mill, I believe in his book "On Liberty" argues that ideas as articulated by different groups or individuals should be allowed to compete in a free market place of ideas where the market or the public square can decide which one is right and which one is wrong in the long run. This is where politics and consumer behavior almost overlap. But here we are almost at a point similar to Nozick's reduction of justice to commutative exchange. In other words, in so far as there is a willing seller and buyer, whatever result that comes out of a transaction is just even if it is unfortunate. In this case, if organizations as the sellers of ideas in the public market place are matched with buyers or consumers of their ideas, whatever result that comes out of the transaction is fine. Of course there is a commitment to protecting human dignity. No group should violate the human dignity of others. The problem is that people hardly angry on what these boundaries of human dignity are especially in a neoliberal hegemonic economic system which we take for granted. That is why we need the state to intervene through the courts etc. On the surface, the liberal society claims to offer a lot to human beings, but it fails because laws alone cannot inform human conduct if there is no virtuous cultivation of  moral and ethical restraints as Alasdair MacIntyre would argue in his work on virtue ethics.

This whole issue is similar to the debate in economics, which should not surprise us as liberal ideology traverses both economics and politics. The related question in economics is why should there not be free trade? The argument is similar. If we allow the government to regulate businesses by requiring all producers of goods to be registered it will lead the state to deny some people their freedom to engage in free commerce. There is evidence to support this. But on the other hand, while free trade or unregulated trade sounds like a good idea about granting the individuals the freedom to engage in transaction as willing sellers and buyers with no one's interference, yet Joseph Stiglitz has demonstrated how the idea of free trade that is unregulated has been used to the disadvantage of the masses in many countries, both in the developed and in the developing world.

Along the same lines, one would argue that not allowing people to cook food and sell it anywhere they have space to do so in the U.S. is limiting people's freedom because there are willing sellers and buyers and frankly the price may be cheaper if allowed. But because of public health concerns etc. the government said, no. Thus, to cook and sell food one must be registered. It seems like there is public support for this. Depending on the nature of the state, registration is a kind of quality control on what someone claims to do and whether they are doing it well. Not all people may be informed enough to judge what various groups claim to be doing. Left-leaning groups will complain that the right wing state will use registration requirement to silence them, and Right-leaning groups will equally complain that the left-wing state will use registration requirements to silence them. Ideally, customs and traditions of respect for the human dignity of all should regulate human conduct beyond the law, but liberal society broadly conceptualized generally undermines customs and traditions in order to create a more homogenized society, notwithstanding the talk about multiculturalism.

Moreover, there are some who would argue that in our world today, the production, spread and consumption of certain ideas can be potentially damaging as the consumption of some kind of food. There are many ideas that were distributed in the social media by the Russians during the last presidential elections in the United States. Some of it was intentionally and deliberately aimed at poisoning the population consuming the information, which cannot be traced initially to anyone specific producer or group at the time. But when people believe the poisoned information like food, they begin to hate or fight each other with great public repercussions as we have come to realize after the 2016 elections. Now there is effort both in the United States and other countries to increasingly regulate the social media in many countries because the consumption of its product can be dangerous sometimes especially when the product is there but we cannot identify who exactly is responsible for it and why? Knowing who is responsible for producing it can really help in maintaining social order. European countries are struggling with this concern very much now.

For me, at this stage, what I feel about liberalism is that what it gives you with one hand, it takes away with another. It is the recognition of this that led MacIntyre to emphasize virtue ethics instead of simple reliance on the law to regulate our complex human society. But as a society, we are too much in a rush and few in society care to cultivate virtue ethics because that slows people down in their pursuit to reach their state of "Nirvana" so to say.

To conclude, in my assessment, registration is in theory not a big deal at all. The freedom to associate is one of those juicy promises of liberalism to humanity. But lack of registration or registration should be understood within the broader context of the structure and process of liberal democratic society, which promises a lot in terms of freedom and liberation of people but conducts itself in such a way that results in making people fight each other as it heightens egocentric behavior while undermining the genuine sense of community. Any strategy that can be used by a progressive group to defy the state can also be used similarly by some kind of hate group on the far-right. At the end, it is like a dog eat dog world, a Social Darwinist social order that is packaged as liberalism’s attempt to emancipate and free people from political tyranny.

Yet, the major tyranny that liberalism fails to address is the tendency of tyranny within many of us human beings today in our psyche, where human appetitive desires take over and contorl the mind, reason and the soul. The social crisis in the wider society is a manifestation of this inner crisis in the human psyche that we encounter today at a more egregious level. Religion has tried to address it but in my assessment, I have the feeling that this human appetitive desires that have taken over the human consciousness have also gotten a privileged seat at the inner-sanctum of many religious places of worship. Such religious organizations may be free to organize as part of civil society without registration, but that does not help us in terms of guaranteeing a pathway to “Dar es Salaam,” the “New Jerusalem,” or the “Neoliberal Utopia,” among other visions of human ideals.

Thank you very much.

 Samuel

Samuel Zalanga

Bethel University

Department of Anthropology, Sociology and Reconciliation Studies,

Bethel University, 3900 Bethel Drive, #24, Saint Paul, MN 55112.

Office Phone: 651-638-6023

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 6:53 AM Toyin Falola <toyin...@austin.utexas.edu> wrote:

Sam:

Can you please elaborate on one point regarding the legitimacy or otherwise of an association based on registration and non-registration? Registration is an instrument of control by the state, a policing instrument to throw innocent people into jail. It is also an instrument to delegitimize as in characterizing some organizations, as in the case of many anti-apartheid ones, as terrorist organizations. It is a tool. You can be subversive by refusing to register as we did with the Zapatista Movement in Austin. I was in several anti-war associations but we did not register as we knew the consequences on our individual members. If the birds perch and human beings use catapults to kill them, no one teaches them to keep flying without perching as your stones will keep missing!

The Idoma people in Nigeria or anywhere in the world do not need anyone’s permission or registration to come together to discuss issues of concern to them. However, if they want to raise funds, and they don’t want to be accused of mail fraud, like Marcus Garvey, they can do the paperwork.

Thousands and thousands of organizations remain un-registered—in churches, mosques, communities, etc.

The issue, to me, is not about registration, but about voice—who speaks for the others?

Pita Agbese was active in the 1990s in pro-democracy movements. He did not push to benefit from it and returned home as Kayode Fayemi or Julius Ihonvbere did, but his contributions to the termination of military rule in Nigeria were solid.

As a moderator, I only issue cautionary statements, and I don’t get involved.

From: dialogue <usaafric...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Samuel Zalanga <szal...@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, May 27, 2019 at 6:19 AM
To: dialogue <usaafric...@googlegroups.com>

 Thank  you very much OAA. I read the email exchanges that took place in this forum with regard to the essay written by Farooq on Professor Gwamna and Professor Agbese. I am writing this to share some of my thoughts about it because I was at the conference that Farooq made reference to and even made a presentation there. Of course I am not one of the organizers but I remember inviting three friends of mine to attend the conference / forum. Two of the friends I invited are from south western Nigeria while the other is from Southeastern Nigeria. Two of them are professors: one is a systematic and contextual theologian and the other is criminal justice scholar. The other is an employee of the state of Minnesota.

In my assessment there are two main parts to the concerns raised by Farooq about Professors Agbese and Gwamna. One has to do with claiming to represent an organization that is not registered, and the implication that this was done for dubious reasons or so it seems as he argued. The second part has to do with the claim that the two persons are engaged in some kind of propaganda to support the Buhari administration in spite of the terrible situation that the Buhari government has created in Nigeria.

Let me start by saying that just as Farooq accorded respect to the two persons based on their meeting at the Zumunta Convention last year, I too will start from there but I will go further. I have met many Nigerians in the United States, but Professor Gwamna who is a senior colleague to me has become like a brother to me. I am from Bauchi but he is from Southern Kaduna. I remember hearing his voice reading news in Radio Nigeria Kaduna when I was younger. I visited him in Iowa twice and the most recent was last Easter. I celebrated my last Easter break with him. This is my full disclosure. I have come to know his spouse who is a very kind woman. I have had extended contact and interaction with them such that while I agree that the concern Farooq raised about representing an organization that is not registered is a legitimate one, I do not want people to just totalize the character of the two persons around that. Please try to know them as persons in a holistic way. There is more to each one of us than just one wrong decision. I observe a lot and while people do make mistakes, I do not see anything in the life of Professor Gwamna that indicates that he is the kind of money-chasing person that he is being made to look like. His life is characterized by faith, moderation and humility. One can still make mistake but let us not from a distant just use one mistaken decision to draw conclusion on a person’s character please.

 Professor Agbese is someone I see not just as a senior colleague too but as a mentor since he was the classmate of Attahiru Jega. Jega returned to Bayero University Kano while I was still there as an undergraduate but I did not take a course from him. I however used to see him regularly at the Faculty of Social and Management Sciences. Although Professor Agbese visits Nigeria frequently according to Farooq, yet, this is not something that started recently. Even before Buhari became president he used to travel to Nigeria a lot. I am not sure also, but I have heard him speak on the role of the military in Nigeria in many conferences in the past, which indicates to me that either that is his area of specialization or one of the areas of his scholarly focus. His interest in the military is not starting now. This would help in greatly explaining his interest in the military. Now, again this does not mean that this makes it right to represent an unregistered organization but please, I do not want us to rush to totalize someone’s character just based on such a mistake. That is why I feel strongly that Professor Agbese’s picture should not have been in the article written by Farooq. In my view, that went too far. This is almost like treating someone as a criminal. From the way Farooq wrote, at some point it looks like he did some intensive research and knows a lot about the two persons. But I was surprise when he asserted that the two persons live in the same town. In fact, the distance between where the two live is more than two hours drive or thereabout. Let us all be careful about claiming details on things on the ground. I have visited Professor Abegese’s house too but in my observation, I did not see any extravagant lifestyle that one may suspect based on Farooq’s article, unless of course if I made a mistake in my observation which I could..

As for the conference organized in Minnesota last year, it went very well. Indeed, I wish there were more people in attendance. It was not propaganda as some may think. The presenter truly brought to limelight a lot of details about what is happening on the ground in Nigeria in fighting insurgents in order to help Nigerians here understand the complexity of the situation in Nigeria. Yet,  he also encountered tough questions and scrutiny. I will say as my friends who were there would say also that if the goal was propaganda then the person did not succeed because it was a serious forum for intellectual discussion. I was not paid and no one dictated to me what to present on. I wish there would be more of such forums organized because that will help Nigerians in diaspora understand some of the things happening on the ground. After living in Nigeria for 13 months in 2017-18, I realized that we assume too much that armchair expertise or philosophizing here by us can bring immediate change in the distant grassroots communities in Nigeria or Africa at large. This is not a de-legitimation of the work we do, but I prefer praxis in the sense of the dialectical relationship between theory / ideas and existential life and struggles of people out there in the real world. And seeing the reality on the ground in Nigeria made me feel humbled about what kind of civil repair I can initiate in Nigeria from here. People in the conference were free to express their disagreement with the presenter and the body language of the presenter did not indicate he was shocked about that. He is a very educated military officer and did an excellent job in articulating his analysis of the issues and he got challenging feedback.

While food and accommodation was provided to those who attended the conference, this,  in and of itself in my assessment should not immediately qualify as something  dubious except of course if someone has some other kinds of evidence. For example, there was a time an organization at the Graduate Theological Union in California received funding from Templeton Foundation to promote dialogue on science and religion in Africa. They invested seventy thousand dollars or thereabout to organize an initial conference about this subject matter at the University of Ilorin, Nigeria. At the very time the conference was to take place, the United States invaded Afghanistan and for security reasons, the organizers were advised not to travel to Nigeria for security and safety reasons. The organization requested me to represent them instead, which I did. But they paid for all people’s food and accommodation at the conference in so far as one’s paper was accepted for presentation. So my point is not to say that I know exactly the details of anything but in my assessment, having seen something like this somewhere and long ago, it should not be immediately assumed that organizing the conference in Minnesota was dubious. I know that all that attended felt it was a value addition. With regard to the press release, in and of itself, there is nothing wrong since it is an expression of their perspective, except for the point that Farooq made about representing an organization that does not exist. But let us treat that as a mistake and be cautious not to use it to totally condemn their lives and character.  There are many press releases that I never read, e.g., from the White House.

I do not think that Professor Agbese and Gwamna do not feel the pain coming from the violence in Nigeria. There was one conference in Atlanta, where Professor Agbese made a thorough analysis of the Fulani Violence in Nigeria. What I will say briefly is that he examined the intersection of factors and processes that led to the violence instead of isolating just one factor as many people do. With regard to the fact that as Farooq claims Professor Agbese supports Buhari, I believe while many will disagree with that, but if he chooses to do so, the best one can do is to provide counter evidence. In this forum, there are many opinions that disagree and sometimes it is not just disagreement but as Thomas Kuhn would say in “The Structures of Scientific Revolution,” the different positions people take are incommensurable. Before the elections in Nigeria, people supported different candidates.  Yes, intellectuals should not sell their conscience but at a deeper level, conscience itself is not developed in social or cultural vacuum. Owing to elective affinity and how the intersection of social and material interests can subconsciously create a plausibility structure for a worldview and political arguments, intellectuals may end up supporting something that cannot claim universal applicability to all social and interests groups. Of course this does not mean that we should discard the question of “social responsibility.”

The way Professor Agbese is presented is that he is too close to the military. Well, I do not know as much as Farooq claims to know but I know that Agbese did his sabbatical at Bingham University which was established by the denomination I grew up in i.e., ECWA. It is not necessarily one of the highly rated universities in Nigeria. Would not someone highly connected to the military establishment or the government of Buhari as implied be able to use his connections to get a more strategic location for his sabbatical through the military at for instance, The National Institute for Policy and Strategic  Studies in Kuru (Plateau State) or even the Army Resource Center in Abuja? How much will Bingham pay him? Bingham University has been in serious financial difficulty. I truly believe they did not pay him on time. Please let us not rush.

I agree with Farooq that it would not be good or nice for anyone of us to represent an organization that is not registered. Even if we have good intentions, doing so can create concern about our intentions, but that notwithstanding, please let us not rush to judge these two people based on one issue or mistake. And let us all learn a lesson from this. It is always good to understand people in different or numerous ways than doing so based on one issue. I do not deny that humans can make mistake or make wrong judgement but let us not reduce the complex life of a person to one issue or event please. These two persons are not perfect human beings and I am not sure there is one, but I believe if one knows them closely, he or she would not rush to put them in a pigeonhole.

Samuel Zalanga

Bethel University

Department of Anthropology, Sociology and Reconciliation Studies,

Bethel University, 3900 Bethel Drive, #24, Saint Paul, MN 55112.

Office Phone: 651-638-6023

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 12:16 PM OLAYINKA AGBETUYI <yagb...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Let me thank Bitrus Gwama for this modulated response stating his side of the story.

OAA

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

This message is from an external sender. Learn more about why this matters.

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

This message is from an external sender. Learn more about why this matters.

Farooq A. Kperogi

May 28, 2019, 8:08:20 PM5/28/19
to USAAfrica Dialogue

 Oga Falola,

You know I revere you immensely. I stand in uncomprehending awe before your vast oeuvre of prodigious and perceptive scholarship and your generous mentorship of generations of African scholars. In a recent piece that is yet to be published, I called you the "undisputed patriarch" of African scholars in the North American academe. It's obviously your prerogative to characterize my politics and interventions as you deem fit, but your impressions of me are completely divorced from the facts and are unmoored to the vaguest scintilla of evidence.  I have my own sense of your own politics and your perception of social reality, which you will probably disagree with, but that's neither here nor there. Everyone has an opinion about everyone they know and interact with.

But, contrary to what you asserted, I have no wish list. I am no unthinking ideologue. When I gaze at reality, I make self-conscious efforts to ensure that my judgments are not mediated by the primordial, geographic, cultural, religious, etc. lenses that come to people naturally, but by my sense of what is true, just, and fair. I have consistently been critical of EVERY government in power since 1999. The records bear me witness. And this isn't based on some fictional wish list. It's nothing more than the good old philosophy of holding people in power to account. My trouble with you, sir, is that you sometimes ignore, or skirt around, evidence and make predetermined proclamations that merely affirm your presentiments.  This issue isn’t an indulgent academic exercise; it’s about real, living people. People are dying and will continue to die as a consequence of the policies and politics of the people our colleagues are uncritically barracking.

You have two scholars who formed an “association” that pretends to be the "umbrella association" of Nigerian scholars in the diaspora and who issue willfully tendentious, prevaricatory, and morally outrageous pro-regime press statements that cause Nigerians at home to contact some of us that the association says it represents and you think to complain about their duplicity is tantamount to imposing a "wish list"? Seriously? Where is the wish list in expecting a two-man group not to lie that it's an umbrella association of Nigerian scholars in the diaspora? Where is the wish list in expecting two scholars of political science and communication not to lie that an economic subcommittee of their two-man group assessed the economic policies of their home country's central bank governor and found them to be sound even when all statistical data say Nigeria has the slowest growing economy in Africa, when vast swaths of Nigerians are writhing helplessly in existential torment, when Nigeria has become the poverty capital of the world and will continue to be so for another generation? What is wishful about expecting senior scholars that younger people look up to to not lie that service chiefs whose well-documented incompetence and corruption have led to the deaths of hundreds of people--and counting--should be retained?

There is way more I have discovered about this association than I have time to share here.  Are you suggesting that the ethical infractions I listed here are justified? Have we sunk that low to the nadir of moral depravity that expecting basic decency from people is now wishful, quixotic expectation?  By the way, how do I impose a "wish list" on people I have never met, would probably never ever meet, and have no power over? The notion of will imposition presupposes power asymmetry between the source and the target of the will, which isn't the case.

And the idea that my interventions are animated by "identitarian politics" is probably one of the silliest and most nescient things I've ever read in my entire life. People who told you that about me didn't deserve the honor of your response. Obasanjo is a Yoruba Christian from the South. Yar'adua was a Hausa-speaking Muslim (with a Berber ancestry) from the North. Jonathan is an Ogbia Christian from the South, and Buhari is a Hausa-speaking Fulani Muslim from the North. I was evenly critical of every single one of them, not because of their identities but because I am a journalist, and I feel both a professional and a moral obligation to hold their feet to the fire. As American journalist Lincoln Steffens once said, "Power is what men seek, and any group that gets it will abuse it. It is the same story."  That's why people in power need critical, independent voices to call attention to their abuse of power, not be their praise singers, in the interest of the society.

How could "identitarian politics" possibly be the motivation for my critical intervention in Nigerian politics? Take Buhari, for example. I share more in common with him than I don't. Like him, I am a northerner. Like him, I am a Muslim. Like him, I am a Sunni Muslim. In fact, more than him, I am the son of a Sunni Islamic scholar who not only learned Arabic and Islamic jurisprudence but thought it for years. The only things we don't share in common is ethnicity and state of origin, but anyone who understands the sociology of northern Nigeria would know that religion is the most significant marker of identity there. Professor Jibrin Ibrahim is from Kano, but because he is culturally a Christian, Kano people have more emotional connection with me than they do with him.

 People in my local government and, in fact, in my hometown and extended family are fanatical Buhari supporters out of religious solidarity. In 2017, the emir of my hometown, who is my cousin, summoned the entire emirate council and put a call to me on speakerphone. He proceeded to tell me that the entire community was appealing to me to stop my critical commentaries on Buhari. I asked the emir why he never called to say I should cease writing critical articles against Goodluck Jonathan because I was just as critical of Jonathan as I am of Buhari. He was quiet. I told him I had an answer: religious and regional bigotry. He was offended.

As I write this, my natal community in Nigeria ostracizes me because of my consistently critical commentaries on Buhari. So if "identitarian politics" is based on collective identity and my natal community in Nigeria is pro-Buhari, which collective identity's politics do my criticisms serve? In any case, I am personally known to Buhari. I have his direct line. I know more people in the highest echelon of Buhari's government than I've ever known in my life. As recently as 5 months ago, a northern governor called to say he had arranged a meeting between Buhari and me. That is the third attempt to get me to meet with Buhari since 2016. I’ve turned down every attempt to “reconcile” me with the president because I have no personal issues with him.

Why can't people understand that there are people who have a sensitive moral conscience, who are actuated by higher ideals, who are not given to crass mercenariness, who are too conscious of their own unconscious to avoid falling prey to the easy lures of instinctual, reactionary identity politics? The answer lies in projection: the subconscious psychological process that disposes people to attribute to others the unconscious negative traits and emotions that dwell in them. If enablers and defenders of fascism and corruption call me “arrogant,” I’ll wear it as a badge of honor.

Farooq

Farooq A. Kperogi, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Journalism & Emerging Media
School of Communication & Media
Social Science Building
Room 5092 MD 2207
402 Bartow Avenue
Kennesaw State University
Kennesaw, Georgia, USA 30144
Cell: (+1) 404-573-9697
Personal website: www.farooqkperogi.com
Twitter: @farooqkperogi
Author of Glocal English: The Changing Face and Forms of Nigerian English in a Global World

"The nice thing about pessimism is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised." G. F. Will

KALE OYEDEJI

May 29, 2019, 4:41:49 AM5/29/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com, Farooq A. Kperogi

Drs. Falola and Kperogi, pardon my intervention here. I am real very tired of academics pretending to be apolitical when they allow themselves to be used by politicians. APC propaganda machine is greatly at work and they have a field day in the social media. Mr. Buhari is the most incompetent of the rulers Nigeria has ever had and yet some want us to believe that he is god chosen and his "anticorruption agenda" is laudable rather than laughable. Tell me the difference between APC and PDP. Show me any APC member that is been probed for financial impropriety.

I see it as fraudulent to claim to be an umbrella organisation for a fictitious group just to write in support of an oppressive and wicked government. Any Yoruba that complains about the Fulani taking of the southwest, I tell them, "ohun ti oju ba wa ni oju nri". If you support Mr. Buhari to rig the last election, you deserve what you get from the Fulani.

Dr. Falola, I am terribly let down by your criticism of Dr. Kperogi on this nefarious group parading itself as representing diaspora nigerans. Anyone looking for a job with the present government you should go to Nigeria to apply for one but should stop pretending to represent some fathom diaspora nigerians.

I keep saying it, Yoruba have very short memories. How can any rational person forget the atrocities committed by Mr. Buhari during his military adventure as a military head of state? How can anyone not remember how many fictitious groups cropped up during the Abacha misrule? How can any rational person argue in favour of Mr. Buhari, the great admirer of Mr. Abacha? How can the south quickly forget PTF and its leader's war against the south? As Bolaji Aluko is wont of saying, I am shaking my head in alter dismay.

Oluwatoyin Vincent Adepoju

May 29, 2019, 6:17:51 AM5/29/19
to usaafricadialogue
wow.

dis Kperogi man is a real bukuru person- Nigerian pidgin for 'scholar'.

what do i respect about Kperogi?

he is a person who is able to change his mind, and publicly, when its clear to him that things are not what they seemed.

i was shocked to read Kperogi, pre-2015, exonerating Buhari for his 'dogs and baboons shall be soaked in blood' speech, Buhari threatening what would happen if he lost the 2015 elections.

i would appreciate correction if i am not recalling correctly on Kperogi's advocacy on that tragic issue.

Kperogi struggled, in my view, for a long time with how to respond to the right wing Fulani herdsmen's terrorism initiative. what was the relationship between those Fulani herdsmen who were critical to his emotional development and social history and these nation wide accounts of mass murderers?

He cringed, he stated, when people like me were crying out about the militarisation of Fulani herdsmen into a terrorist striking force, seeing in approaches like mine a form of ethnic essentialisation, of uncritical generalization.

He was able, eventually to identify a pressure group, Miyeti Allah Fulani Socio-Cultural Organisation, which, by their actions, were coordinating and publicly justifying terrorism by a Fulani herdsmen militia, a recognition that did not preclude appreciation that not all Fulani herdsmen are terrorists but that their is a preponderance of harassment and low and large scale terrorism by Fulani herdsmen, fed by a blindly activist right wing Fulani  leadership centred in Muhammadu Buhari.

We are on a journey. Public intellectuals such as Farooq Kperogi and Moses Ochonu have publicly acknowledged the terrorist, genocidal  agenda in action. Ex head of state Olusegun Obasanjo has referenced it. Ex-Minister of Defense Theophilus Danjuma has declared it. Many Nigerians have recognized it and are openly describing it in the media, particularly the social media.

A man was given a mandate on the platter of the huge hope of millions and chose to use that mandate as means of enslaving those people

The day of judgement gathers momentum.

toyin

OLAYINKA AGBETUYI

May 29, 2019, 3:23:41 PM5/29/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Well said.  You have had your say.  Many of your critics didn't have that opportunity.
We will still await ProfvFalolascharacter digestive of those who digest others for good or for I'll.  We will not be cheated of this offering if only for scholarly purposes We want to learn and extend our horizons.  May posterity be the judge@

By the way in psychoanalysis projection and projective identification are two different things.

Be well

OAA

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Bayo Amos

May 29, 2019, 10:22:33 PM5/29/19
to usaafricadialogue
Kale,

 How can any rational person argue in favour of Mr. Buhari, the great admirer of Mr. Abacha?

I get your criticism of folks using some faceless associations to project their pro-Buhari agenda but isn't yours a sort of idealistic inclination where what's at best a partisan opinion is elevated or even deified as the RIGHT position or holy grail--where any deviation is interpreted as heresy?

Thanks,
Bayo.

Rosalind Dawson

May 30, 2019, 12:02:44 PM5/30/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I am a dissertator at the University of Wisconsin - Madison and a tenured professor of English Literature and Composition. I'm new to this group but am thoroughly enjoying the comments regarding Buhari. Regarding registering groups, I think the discussion is a bit overbaked. Many groups in the U.S. don't bother because it's an unnecessary pain. Finally, I'm curious why so many Nigerians appear to have such contempt for their Middle Passage brethren in North America. I'm thinking postcolonial aftercurrents, but I'd definitely welcome your thoughts and observations.

Rosalind

OLAYINKA AGBETUYI

May 30, 2019, 12:03:40 PM5/30/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com, farooq...@gmail.com
Kale:

We all know the conditions surrounding the election of Buhari in 2015 was controversial but NIGERIANS elected him and not God so there is no talk here of 'God sent.'  Nigerians assessed those things you allege he did during his military leadership and DECIDED to give him another chance.  My own family was a victim of those excesses.

Come 2019 the political landscape was organised ultimately to present a choice largely between Buhari and Atiku Abubakar.  In the social sciences we say the result of a survey is determined by the nature of the sampling frame;  if the sampling frame is skewed the result can only reflect that sampling frame.

If the sampling frame ultimately is a choice between Buhari and Atiku Abubakar I will choose Buhari a thousand times warts and all. So will most Nigerians as the results indicated.  Nigerians did not vote Buhari in because they thought he was the best leader the world has ever seen.  I warned that by the main opposition deciding to field Atiku Abubakar they have ensured that Buhari will get a second term (rigging or no rigging.)

Yes academics are citizens and not apolitical.  They have always in their sophisticated ways sought to put their money where their mouth is; and why not!

OAA.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Emeagwali, Gloria (History)

May 30, 2019, 2:50:08 PM5/30/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Rosalind,
You got this wrong.  Friendship is a bilateral process. In some cases you go the extra mile until things stabilize. In other cases you may not. No relationship thrives if there are inferiority- superiority dynamics, real or imagined.
You should have asked a different question- what can be done to improve on African - African American
relations?
Your question in its present form has toxic overtones and that is not a great way to start.
Thousands of great relationships, families and so on have emerged over decades in healthy contexts.
Let us build on the successes.

Professor Gloria Emeagwali
Prof. of History/African Studies, CCSU
africahistory.netvimeo.com/ gloriaemeagwali
Recipient of the 2014 Distinguished Research
Excellence Award, Univ. of Texas at Austin;
2019 Distinguished  Africanist Award
New York African Studies Association
May 30, 2019, 2:50:45 PM5/30/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com, OLAYINKA AGBETUYI, farooq...@gmail.com
Thanks Olayinka for your response. My problem has to do with the Yoruba complaining that the Fulani are taking over their land. If anyone claims that Zamfara people voted for Buhari, I would tell that person he lied. It really does not matter to me whether it was Atiku or Buhari, both are Fulani, but the propaganda that most people swallowed about Atiku are true about Buhari also. This is what I meant by "ohun oju wa l'oju ri". The Yoruba voted for Buhari, they should stop crying about the Fulani.

If Buhari's first military incursion had an adverse effect on your family, I am sorry about that, but why will your people believe that the leopard will change its colour?

To me there is no difference between APC and PDP. EFTC (I am not sure of the correct acronym) will never touch you if you cross over from PDP to APC!!!

'Kale Oyedeji

Toyin Falola

May 30, 2019, 3:23:48 PM5/30/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Rosalind has raised an important issue which should not be swept under the carpet. She framed it narrowly:

“I'm curious why so many Nigerians appear to have such contempt for their Middle Passage brethren in North America.”

The issue of kinship across the Atlantic is important at the collective level.

A large part of the answer is the failure of Pan Africanism. In this failure, the blame should be put squarely at the feet of African leadership. Fanon anticipated it.

The seduction of the market, liberal democracy, immigration and competitive relationship constitute one cluster of the answer.

The failure of African states to develop and give hope is yet another.  Rather than people going to Africa, Africans, characterized by the traumatized Mr Trump as members of the Commonwealth of shitholes, are the ones begging to leave their continent.

Sources of validation represent yet another. Both are not seeking the other for its own validation

It is an important issue.

Sent from my iPhone

Farooq A. Kperogi

May 30, 2019, 5:01:35 PM5/30/19
to USAAfrica Dialogue
I wrote a news story on this topic for a Louisiana magazine in 2005. All my interviews were with students and faculty of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. It may illuminate Rosalind's question:

Relations between Africans and Black Americans

By Farooq A. Kperogi

You would expect that it is natural that African immigrants in the United States and Black Americans should have robust relations. However, the relationship between African immigrants here and Black Americans is often hallmarked by mutual suspicion and distrust.

“We may have a common ancestry, and even a common skin color, but we view each other as different,” said Andre Reynaud, a black American freshman from Lafayette, Louisiana, majoring in secondary education.

He said American blacks traditionally tend to have a dim view of all immigrants, and that African immigrants here are tarred with the same brush as other immigrants.

“Their accent is different; the way they live is strange,” he said. “What you don’t know, you either learn or ignore. And I think we generally ignore here.”

But Uwaila Osaren, a final year journalism student who was born in Nigeria but raised in the United States, said the strained relations between African and black American students at the University of Louisiana in Lafayette is not representative of the general pattern of relationships between African immigrants in the United States and black Americans.

“I grew up in Houston, Texas, and it’s not the same,” she said. “I think it has something to do with the African-American culture in Louisiana. “They’re not exposed to many different cultures. Here, it’s either black or white.”

Osaren opined that the reluctance of black Americans to relate with African students is not because they don’t like Africans.

“They don’t even mingle with the whites they grew up with,” she said. “Why would they mingle with Africans they never knew? It’s two separates, and they can’t mingle.”

She said she has been caught in the web of a huge relational ambivalence since she came to study at the University of Louisiana, Lafayette, four years ago.

“I didn’t fit with Africans because they consider me too American, and I didn’t fit with Americans because they consider me too African,” she said. “I’m the true meaning of African American.”

For Richard Bargblor, a Liberian native majoring in nursing, the relational tension between African students and black Americans is the consequence of a historical grudge that black Americans have been conditioned to hold against Africans for the alleged complicity of their ancestors in selling the ancestors of black Americans into slavery.

“A lot of them have told me that our forefathers sold their ancestors to the white men,” he said. “Maybe, that’s why they’re holding back from us.” He insisted, however, that guilt is not inheritable. “Besides, our ancestors didn’t willfully sell their ancestors,” he added. “It was done under duress.”

Bargblor also said he finds black Americans’ use of swear words in their everyday conversations repulsive. “They use the ‘f’ word so easily,” he said. “We don’t use that in Africa. It’s an offensive word.”

Kyle Ward, a black American sophomore from Mississippi majoring in political science, suggested that it is difficult for African immigrants in the United States to mix smoothly with black Americans because over 400 years of spatial separation between the two groups also created an enormous gulf of cultural separation.

“They [Africans] are not used what we do,” he said. “They don’t understand why we do what we do. They have a totally different view of the world. That’s why they don’t hang out with us.”

He contended that most African students who come to the United States devote little time for leisure, entertainment and sports—areas he said black Americans consider central to their cultural uniqueness. He said this fact limits avenues for interaction between the two groups.

“They’re more focused on their studies because they appreciate the opportunities here,” he said. “We take these opportunities for granted. They’re foreign students. Period.”

For Ben Adobor, a native of Ghana and graduate student in engineering, a major stumbling block in the relationship between black Americans and African students is the almost mutual unintelligibility of their English accents.

“It’s ironic that I understand white Americans more easily than I understand my African-American brothers and sisters,” Adobor said. “But I realize that they have as much difficulty understanding my accent as I have understanding theirs. They’re easier to understand when you relate to them on an individual basis, but when you find yourself alone in their midst, they could as well be speaking Greek. You’re lost, and wonder whether they’re speaking English.”

This sentiment about language barrier is mutual.

Rosetta Pickney, a black American student from Lake Charles, Louisiana, majoring in health information management, also expressed frustration with African accents. “We don’t understand their accents, so we avoid them,” she said.

But Adobor said the language barrier is secondary to the distortion of the African image in the mainstream Western media as a contributing factor to the strained relations between African immigrants in the United States and black Americans.

“All that they see about Africa in their media are images of starving, barely clothed children, AIDS victims, and so on,” he said. “I wonder where the media get these images from. I think African-Americans are ashamed to identify with us because of this.”

Pamela Hamilton, a black American graduate student in communication from Shreveport, agreed. “We have negative views of Africa that we received from slavery, passed through generations and now transmitted through the media,” she said.

However, she pointed out that this negative perception is reciprocal. “Some African students that I have met also have negative views of African Americans,” she said. “Few Africans understand what slavery has done to us.”

Hamilton said although there are obvious cultural and even experiential barriers between Africans and black Americans, those barriers are not sufficient to break the social, historical and ancestral bonds that bind Africans and black Americans.

“There are people who have been able to overcome these barriers,” she said.

But Kimberly Malveaux, a black American nursing major from Lafayette, Louisiana, said she thinks there are no barriers to overcome.

“My personal experience is that I relate with African men better than I relate with African-American men,” she said. “There may be Africans who also relate better with African-Americans than with Africans. I don’t see any tension here.”

Meanwhile, Arinze Okolo, president of the University of Louisiana’s African Students’ Association and junior mechanical engineering student from Nigeria, said it is difficult to give a blanket and definitive description of the attitude of black Americans toward African students.

He said there are as many black Americans who are reluctant to relate with African students, as there are who are enthusiastic about mixing with them.

“I think those of them who take the trouble to go beyond media stereotypes and read up on Africa or ask questions about Africa tend to be friendly,” he said. “Many of them attend our social functions, and we attend theirs too.”

Bradley Pollock, Ph.D., professor of African and African- American history at the University of Louisiana’s department of history and geography, attributed the reluctance of black Americans to relate with African students to their lack of exposure to different cultures.

“On this campus, most of the African-Americans are from small towns,” he said. “They’re just frightened of what they don’t know. They may even be frightened of other African Americans they are not used to. It’s not a Louisiana problem; it’s a small-town problem.”

Pollock added that even though there is some basis for the hostility of some black Americans toward Africans because of the notion that Africans sold their brothers and sisters into slavery, “it is not an accurate historical assumption.”

“For instance, countries in East Africa, such as Uganda, were not involved in the slave trade,” he said. “In any case, if you’re nursing animosity against Africans because of that, what do you do with the white slave owners? It’s been centuries ago. It’s time for healing.”

For Patricia Holmes, Ph.D., an associate professor of communication, insufficient communication between black American and African students is the cause of the mutual distrust between them.

“When they communicate, they’ll realize that they have more reasons to come together than they have to stay apart,” said Holmes, who is black. “Our shared ancestry and our shared history of slavery and colonialism are big enough reasons for us to come together.”

She said the excuse of differences in accents as a reason for the low level of interaction between African students and black Americans is “rather weak.”

“People from New York also have a different accent, so you won’t talk to them because of that?” she asked rhetorically. “Africans don’t all have the same accent. Do they stop talking to each other because of that?”
Farooq A. Kperogi, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Journalism & Emerging Media
School of Communication & Media
Social Science Building
Room 5092 MD 2207
402 Bartow Avenue
Kennesaw State University
Kennesaw, Georgia, USA 30144
Cell: (+1) 404-573-9697
Personal website: www.farooqkperogi.com
Twitter: @farooqkperogi
Author of Glocal English: The Changing Face and Forms of Nigerian English in a Global World

"The nice thing about pessimism is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised." G. F. Will

Farooq A. Kperogi

May 30, 2019, 5:01:53 PM5/30/19
to USAAfrica Dialogue
And this past column of mine also sheds some light on your question:

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Insults Africans and African Americans Hurl at Each Other

By Farooq A. Kperogi, Ph.D.

In the spirit of America’s Black History Month (which is celebrated every February), I have chosen to write on a really uncomfortable subject-matter: the unkind things American blacks and African immigrants in America say to each other either good-humoredly or in moments of inflamed passions.

About three years ago, my then 6-year-old daughter came back from school looking noticeably anguished. The first thing she said to me was, “daddy, what does ‘African booty scratcher’ mean?” I had never heard that expression before, but it struck me as singularly hilarious. So I laughed out loud. But my daughter didn’t share in my fun. “That isn’t funny, daddy! It’s a really mean insult.”

She was right. “African booty scratcher” is an insulting phrase that American blacks reserve for African immigrants in America. My daughter said it was her African-American classmates (toward whom she gravitated when she first got here) that called her an “African booty scratcher.” She knew it was no compliment because other students laughed boisterously at her expense.  She reported them to the school principal (American elementary schools have “principals,” not “headmasters”) who punished them.

But my daughter still wanted to know what in the world an “African booty scratcher” meant.  I know “booty” is the slang term for “buttocks” in (African) American English, and a scratcher is one who scratches a body part to relieve an itch. That means an "African booty scratcher" is an African who habitually scratches his buttocks. But I knew it had to mean more than that.

 I called some of my African-American friends to ask what they knew about the expression.  It wasn’t a pleasant discussion for them. So I turned to the Internet for answers. It turned out that the expression has existed in black American vernacular speech since at least the 1970s. It grew out of the stereotypical images of poor, starving, barefooted, barely clothed African children in “Save the Children” or “CARE” commercials on American TVs. The commercials showed, as they still do, African children in tattered, begrimed clothes driving away flies and scratching several parts of their bodies. It speaks to American pop culture’s prurient fixation that, of all the body parts children in the TV commercials scratch, they chose to isolate the “booty.”

A hugely popular and critically acclaimed 1991 African-American movie titled “Boyz N The Hood” gave wings to the expression. The protagonist of the movie, 10-year-old Tre Styles, tells his class that everybody is from Africa. “Did you know that Africa is where the body of the first man was found? My daddy says that's where all people originated from. That means everybody's really from Africa. Everybody. All y'all. Everybody,” he says.

But a dark-skinned boy in the class rejects the suggestion that he is from Africa. "I ain't from Africa. I'm from Crenshaw Mafia," he says, referring to his membership of a gang in Crenshaw, a predominantly black neighborhood in Los Angeles.

“Like it or not, you from Africa,” the protagonist insists. But the black boy couldn’t bear to think he’s African. “I ain't from Africa. You from Africa. You African booty-scratcher!” he shot back.

This shows the term is also a self-deprecatory epithet for African Americans. Of course, the term’s derogation derives from its association with Africa.

Until my daughter caused me to research the term, the only insulting expression I knew African Americans had for Africans was “jungle bunny.” Never mind that almost half of Africa is desert and only about 20 percent is jungle or rainforest! I've also found out that "jungle bunny" isn't used only against Africans but also among African Americans.

But it isn’t only African Americans who have insulting expressions for African immigrants. Our people also call American blacks “Akata.” When one of my African-American friends asked me what the term meant two years ago, I felt the same sensation of discomfort that my African-American friends must have felt when I asked them about “African booty scratcher.”

The truth is that I had never heard the term “Akata” until I came here. It is a Yoruba word for “wild cat,” which encapsulates the impressions that registered in the minds of the first Yoruba immigrants to America about African Americans: that they are wild, rude, impetuous, aggressive, and uncultured. This is, of course, a crude, vulgar, and unrepresentative impression of American blacks. African-American pop culture has popularized the notion that the term means “cotton picker” or “slave,” or “nigger,” but that’s completely inaccurate.

Over the years, “Akata” has evolved from being an exclusively derogatory term that Yoruba immigrants hurled at African Americans to an inoffensive descriptive term used by most African (not just Nigerian) immigrants here to refer to African Americans. The word can also function as an adjective, as in “Akata culture,” “Akata music,” etc., although there is often a thinly veiled whiff of condescension and disdain when the term is used attributively.  Plus, African Americans understand the term to be insulting irrespective of its semantic evolution among African immigrants.

A Ghanaian professor by the name of George Ayittey who used to teach at the American University in Washington, DC once said “Akata” is the corruption of “I gotta.” He speculated that African immigrants in America called American blacks “Agata” and later “Akata” because of the excessive frequency of “I gotta” in the speech of African Americans—in the same way that Yoruba people are derisively called “Ngbati” in Nigeria because of the disproportionate occurrence of the word “ngbati” (which roughly means “when,” but which sometimes functions as a hesitation filler) in their demotic speech.

But Ayittey’s theory is implausible. A man who said it was his uncle who coined the term “Akata” to refer to African Americans in the 1960s disputed Ayittey’s proposition. Interestingly, many Yoruba people I spoke with in Nigeria told me “Akata” is not part of the active idiolect of contemporary spoken Yoruba.

The exchange of ethnic slurs isn’t limited to African Americans and African immigrants in America. (Wikipedia has a huge repertoire of racial and ethnic slurs that several groups throw at each other). And it certainly isn’t the only feature of the relationship between the two groups. But given the historical and racial affinities between Africans and African Americans—and the expectation of cordiality, acceptance, and courtesy between them—these slurs can activate painful expectancy violations.

Related Articles:

Farooq A. Kperogi, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Journalism & Emerging Media
School of Communication & Media
Social Science Building
Room 5092 MD 2207
402 Bartow Avenue
Kennesaw State University
Kennesaw, Georgia, USA 30144
Cell: (+1) 404-573-9697
Personal website: www.farooqkperogi.com
Twitter: @farooqkperogi
Author of Glocal English: The Changing Face and Forms of Nigerian English in a Global World

"The nice thing about pessimism is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised." G. F. Will

Emeagwali, Gloria (History)

May 30, 2019, 5:02:20 PM5/30/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Panafricanism has some successes but I agree that there is room for improvement. Ghana has a  great pan Africanist in power. This year is the year of return I believe.
The issue is an important  one but I prefer the high road.

That brings me to
Moses whose discourse on democracy will be quoted for sometime to come.
I heard some  Souljas  in the barracks whistling a happy song at the first ten paragraphs.
The problem is that with the soldiers it is  a great gamble.They may never ever go until a Sudanese style revolt succeeds.
Yes democrazy is costly, deepens cleavages,creates distrust, gobbles up half of the budget and does not guarantee development as Moses so lucidly argues.
But it seems to me that the solution
given by Moses is more of the same- modified liberal democracy.
I may be wrong.

Professor Gloria Emeagwali
Prof. of History/African Studies, CCSU

May 30, 2019, 9:57:42 PM5/30/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Self-contempt by Africans for fellow Africans is not a new development. It is part of the old question that Walter Rodney tackled in his doctoral dissertation and Skip Gates addressed in his Wonders of the African World documentary: How could Africans sell millions of their own people into slavery for hundreds of years?

Rodney's conclusion was that European slavery was a class warfare and not an African personality flaw. The slave-trading chiefs collaborated with their European class allies but the majority of Africans were warriors against slavery. Rodney also explained in How Europe Underdeveloped Africa that the reason why Nigerian rulers allied with British colonizers to mobilize the masses to commit genocide against the Igbo was not because of tribalism since there is no record of the genocidal gang-up against the Igbo by their neighbors prior to the imposition of the genocidal state and since Shell BP is not an African 'tribe', nor would the Welsh be called a tribe in Britain.

The same privileged Nigerians who look down on struggling African American masses today also look down on struggling Nigerian masses. On the other hand, they look up to the rich African Americans the same way that they look up to rich Nigerians irrespective of ethnic and gender differences. There is immense love for African Americans by the African masses who continue to exchange fashion trends with the Black Atlantic Diaspora, according to Paul Gilroy.

African Americans also look down on fellow African Americans in the struggle for survival. The killings in Chicago and St. Louis are not acts of love and are not being done by Nigerians against African Americans. They are signs of race-class-gender articulation of struggles in societies structured in dominance, according to Stuart Hall. Poor white people have also been killing poor white people in their millions forever for similar reasons of populist national consciousness, class contradictions, religious sectarianism, and gender chauvinism.

As Gloria suggested, we can do something to advance critical thinking among people of African descent by, for instance, immediately transforming all the distinguished Centers of African Studies around the world into Centers of Africana Studies under the paradigm of creative, critical, and Africa-centered scholar-activism at home and abroad. The reunification of the Peoples Republic of Africa under the new AU Passport and a common Afro currency, the common trade agreement, and open borders would open the door for dual citizenship to the sixth region of the AU with a right to return. The immediate abolition of all feudal institutions across Africa will help to reduce superiorism when Africans elect their town mayors and city councils and hold them more accountable under radical republican democracy just as is the case in USA, to some extent.

Biko

Toyin Falola

May 30, 2019, 10:18:43 PM5/30/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Biko:
I see this as your main thrust:

“transforming all the distinguished Centers of African Studies around the world into Centers of Africana Studies under the paradigm of creative, critical, and Africa-centered scholar-activism at home and abroad”

Can you expand on the above? I think you once evaluated our program at UT Austin which is now a Department.

Opinions are divided about this:
1. The Asante-Gates model
2. The Title six model
3. The mainstream model
4. The Africology model, etc.

In general, the integration of African studies and African American Studies remains unsuccessful in many places. I have served as an official evaluator like you but I have not seen the integration in many places.

Also bear in mind that the current recruitment of young Africans into the academy is to turn them into careerists. Careerists write about Africa for Western consumption, they seek non-African validation, they don’t publish in black-oriented journals and they have been deceived to accept ranking over and above relevance. We can see their contributions in terms of advancing strictly academic issues but not of nation building. Thus one can now become a full professor of Africa but there is actually nothing for Africans in the scholarship.
TF

Sent from my iPhone

Biko Agozino

May 30, 2019, 11:10:49 PM5/30/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Kikiwin,

You no go provoke me today o. I beg, go and sleep and leave the forum to take care of itself for once. I actually agree with everything you said, so you no go decline this post.

I admired your program when I participated in the evaluation. I liked the way you strategized to secure huge funding from the administration and the way you shared the resources with African and African American Studies. Congratulations on attaining departmental status. Many others remain programs of Africana Studies but a departmental status is always the golden fleece.

The academy remains a conservative space but the few critical voices that have managed to thrive make all the differences because they offer something that the majority are afraid to offer. There will always be struggles for ideas and priorities in Africana Studies as in every field of study.

The launch of Africana Studies across Africa is something we can accomplish overnight without much additional costs. Then let us allow a thousand flowers to blossom - the careerists and the scholar-activists will have their say, the western servant scholars and the Afrocentrists, the nationalists and the Pan Africanists. History will justify the relevance.

Do Not Agonize, Organize!

Biko

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Toyin Falola

May 30, 2019, 11:33:31 PM5/30/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Biko:
I apologize as I did not frame the question with any level of intelligence.

How does your recommendation help Rosalind? This is how I should have framed it.

You and I as scholars tend to exaggerate our sense of importance. The academy deludes us into thinking that we are relevant. If we were why do things remain the same or get worse?

What I am looking for is how academic reorganization that you stated so brilliantly solve Rosalind’s key question. Molefi Asante is a great friend of mine and I have participated in his impressive annual programs.

Thus, if we mount programs the way you mentioned, how does that affect street politics?
Students listen to us, receive their grades and move on.
TF

Sent from my iPhone
This message is from an external sender. Learn more about why this matters.

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Biko Agozino

May 31, 2019, 12:01:35 AM5/31/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Tough questions,

Intellectuals may help to answer those questions but so also will be masses. My suggestions go beyond academic institutions to include activism ion our communities towards the United Republic of African States. There will still be problems even after unity but we will have the strength to solve more of those problems. Unity is neither uniformity nor unanimity but a little goes a long way - Cabral.

Biko

Toyin Falola

May 31, 2019, 12:20:00 AM5/31/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Biko:
You make a distinction between intellectuals and the masses.
Do you mean to say scholars instead of intellectuals ?
The masses are intellectuals! Emotional intelligence is worth more than a PhD.
The Igbo venture capitalists at Alaba market know more about business than MIT- trained “intellectuals”
Ibn Khaldun, which only a few have read, warned us to make distinctions more carefully.
TF

Sent from my iPhone

Biko Agozino

May 31, 2019, 2:35:59 AM5/31/19
to 'Biko Agozino' via USA Africa Dialogue Series
I agree with you about the intellectuals of the masses. Where will we be without them?

Biko

Cornelius Hamelberg

May 31, 2019, 9:45:46 AM5/31/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

In this regard, Hillel the Elder asked this series of questions that we must all take time to answer :

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am not for others, what am I? And if not now, when?”

Self-interest, self-contempt and self-hatred are very closely related. “Self-hating Jew” for instance is a common, all-handy & ever-useful, all-purpose appellation/demonization with which the self-loving or the narcissistic who can do no wrong to self express venomous disapproval with the intention of startling/ shocking any opposition to instantaneous self-awareness, regret, repentance, reform and a return to a not-breaking-ranks type of ethnic or tribal solidarity. With overuse the term continues to retain its meaning but gradually begins to lose its intended effects. With time the accused could start enjoying a sense of immunity - as in the childish perception that sticks and stones may break my bones but words can't hurt me

Ditto the term “anti-Semitism.”

In African-American parlance the critical word ( loaded with either pity or contempt ) is or used to be uncle tom”, the unemancipated Negro that’s at the moment beyond redemption.

Sadly, we have yet to see “self-hating Igbo” // “self-hating Fulani” ( certainly not one of the notorious herdsmen) or “ Self-hating Hausa” - and the very first time I met a Rev. Muhammad in real life ( it was in Stockholm) and the very first time I saw the name “ Bishop Hassan Kukah” in print, I thought that I had encountered such a specimen….

Moving on.

The two Bees are as inseparable as Juno’s swans: Biko and Biafra. Bi-partisan.

I was sure - as sure as I am that for a fact there are metaphorical, symbolic but no real snowballs in hell,

that no matter what the subject matter is, as a convenience Biko would surely not miss another golden opportunity to be inevitably typing this wordy formation which has been knocked around so many times before in and out of this forum, that those responsible should all go to hell, that “Nigerian rulers allied with British colonizers to mobilize the masses to commit genocide against the Igbo was not because of tribalism...” etcetera, etcetera, etcetera, ad infinitum ad nauseam.

Who wants to resurrect and discuss that bygone insurrection for the nth time? Not me.

The Holocaust was bad enough.

For now, what is infinitely more interesting is exactly what Biko means by

The immediate abolition of all feudal institutions across Africa !”

Perchance he will care enough to explain himself ?

Hopefully , he does not have the abolition of Chieftaincy or Kingship ( a non-Igbo institution ) at the top of his agenda...

Don't hesitate to hit hard if you want to.. Break bones. I will hit harder if I can. I believe that I can

Chielozona Eze

May 31, 2019, 11:08:15 AM5/31/19
to 'Ayotunde Bewaji' via USA Africa Dialogue Series

“I'm curious why so many Nigerians appear to have such contempt for their Middle Passage brethren in North America.” Rosalind.

Thanks, Farooq, for providing us with your past pieces on this issue. I think, though, that the question is flawed. It is a wrong premise, and as my logic professor taught me, wrong premises always lead to wrong conclusions.

Now, there are only two things here: Either (a) So many Nigerians have contempt for their Middle Passage brethren (and sisters, I guess), or (b) So many Nigerians do not have contempt for their Middle Passage brethren. In either case, one has to provide statistics (or at least anecdotal evidence) to validate the claim.

Until Rosalind provides statistics to back up her assertion, which seems to be a product of casual observation or hearsay, it is fruitless to argue on this.

Indeed, it is not true that so many Nigerians have such contempt for their Middle Passage brethren. I don’t believe in appearances.

The many Nigerians I know love to mingle with African Americans. Some have married African Americans. When I arrived in America in 2000, I saw African Americans as my natural address. I was not disappointed. My African American dissertation supervisor practically adopted me. My present job was made possible by two African American women to whom I remain eternally grateful.

We intellectuals have been trained to be hypercritical and often to overanalyze sometimes insignificant words, phrases, observations. I think we should also learn to celebrate the little progress in life. Nigerians and African Americans get on well in many places in America, Chicago being one of them. Whoever is expecting a kumbaya, blissful relationship, devoid of conflicts might be making a mistake.

Chielozona

Chielozona Eze
Professor, African Literature and Cultural Studies, Northeastern Illinois University; Extraordinary Professor, Stellenbosch University, South Africa.Fellow - Stellenbosch Institute for Advanced Studies, South Africa
https://neiu.academia.edu/ChielozonaEze
www.Chielozona.com

OLAYINKA AGBETUYI

May 31, 2019, 11:08:32 AM5/31/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
From my experience with black Americans Bradley Pollocks assessment of the historical grudge is the most cogent.  I think Prof Osofisan and I once had a discussion on this.  Black Americans youths attitude on this is a product of generations of indoctrination.  I know they identified more with South Africa because of the Mandela mystique and ancient ( pharaonic Egypt because of its global black leadership role.

If you stay long enough in a black American community and don't just run off AND begin to interract with their activities as a sign that you are buying into them they begin to show you that you are different from ' those other Africans' and you find that they actually begin to LOVE you.

 I know many black Americans I interraced  with ( faculty colleagues & students) actually loved me and I loved them too.  But if you are treating them as second rate they can feel that and will react appropriately.  If you are going the extra mile to help them bridge the gap of their youthful deficiency they can feel that too.

OAA

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Author of Glocal English: The Changing Face and Forms of Nigerian English in a Global World

"The nice thing about pessimism is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised." G. F. Will

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

msjo...@aol.com

May 31, 2019, 1:12:45 PM5/31/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Waow,......intellectuals..... idleness at its highest influencing nothing.

Biko Agozino

May 31, 2019, 4:04:09 PM5/31/19
to msjoe21st via USA Africa Dialogue Series
Cornel,

Did you miss the Bee in Beg in your name? Commenting on the 30th of May about the hatred for the Igbo by fellow Nigerians as part of the discussion of Nigerian hatred for African Americans is not a drag. But dragging in hatred for Jews into a discussion of the hatred between Africans and African Americans is not a drag either because all Jews are Africans, all humans are Africans and Jews are human, therefore....

Biko

Cornelius Hamelberg

May 31, 2019, 4:55:21 PM5/31/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
All men are brothers, therefore Biko is Biko!

It’s a vast subject and since the problem has been identified and there is an awareness of the problem it is therefore well worth discussing with a view to disseminating understanding, maybe even some solutions...

Africans, African-Americans and Nigerians currently domiciled in the Diaspora West, particularly in the United States are better situated to understand these problems since they live in the midst of it.

The way I see it, respect is usually a two-way street, as the saying goes, “ respect begets respect “

RESPECT !

Reciprocity.

Are you going to respect someone who doesn't respect you?

The other saying is that “One Black represents all, all over the world “, whether in the United States or in Europe.

A good starting point is what Chidi Anthony Opara had to say and why he said it is still not clear, but he did say this:

It was not poverty or greed or wickedness that made our forebear to sell people as slaves, it was a way to get rid of the "efulefus"(worthless persons).”

We can adduce this kind of attitude at the root of the alleged contempt that some Nigerians have for our African-American Brethren a few hundred years later, even if Richard Pryor jokes about it, when he says,

I think that niggers are the best of people who were slaves, and that’s how they got to be niggers ‘cause they stole the cream-of-the-crop from Africa and brought them over here. And God, as they say, works in mysterious ways, so he made everybody a nigger…he brought us all over here — the best — the kings and queens, the princesses, the princes, put us all together and called us one tribe: Niggers.”

That is the crux if not the genesis of the contempt problem; the differentiation, the self-identity as is probably the case in caste societies in which some people live, perhaps lurking still in their minds, the “who sold who” the “who is “efulefu” and who is not a descendant of the “efulefus”, the who is who. Some people even boast, “ I am a pure African”

As Malcolm X put it, “We didn't land on Plymouth Rock; the rock was landed on usWe were brought here against our will.

Since then there has been Civil Rights , even Barack Obama in the White House, but the legacy still lingers on…

Cornelius Hamelberg

Jun 2, 2019, 2:43:19 PM6/2/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

In this case too, Krister Stendahl’s Three Rules of Religious Understanding apply...

I have always taken it as for granted that an avowed aim of our Pan-African USA Africa Dialogue Series is to bridge the gap between Africans in Africa and elsewhere and those settled in the USA Diaspora. Very personally speaking, “Africa unite” and “Africa Must Unite“ implies not only the imperative/necessity of African countries uniting, but also African people uniting by consciously getting their act together, through inter-marriage for example, more business partnerships, cultural exchange and co-operation. etc. From that point of view, it is lamentable that we don't have a greater number of African-American Brothers and Sisters actively participating in our discussions on this list serve.

As Brother Malcolm said, “We are all Africans - we're not Americans, we're Africans who happen to be in America.”

Cornelius Ignoramus may be wrong, so he had better consult with some language experts among us as to whether or not there is an etymological connection or affinity between the River Niger, the country Nigeria, the people known as Nigerians and that derogatory “one tribe “ epithet, “ Niggers“, as there is the mistaken notion that the country Nigeria, is the country where “Niggers” come from

Of course, Nigerians in Nigeria or anywhere else, will have none of that. Nor will Sierra Leoneans, not to mention African-Americans. About what is reported as certain Nigerian tendencies such as looking down on other Diaspora Africans ( maybe a big Brother complex due to too much oil or maybe, feelings of superiority because of over-education or mis-education of the type that doesn’t truck with Ebonics – since there are those who don’t understand poetry or rap or all that jazz. I said JAZZ.

They are the kind of Nigerians who from the language point of view look down on the likes of Pa Michael Imoudu. As Pope made famous, “ A little leaning is a dangerous thing”. They are dangerous. That’s what colonialism did to them. Equipped with a little of Her Majesty the Queen’s English – maybe just a little more than Man Friday’s they feel exalted , like George Bernard Shaw, felt when comparing himself with Shakespeare ( Gadddafi’s “ Sheikh Speare” ) who knew “little Latin and less Greek”

When it comes to that distinguished English language department, there are more highly educated and capable African-Americans than there are exalted Nigerians of that kind of stature – in science, philosophy, basketball, poetry and prose

Also from that point of view, I daresay that African-Americans and Caribbean are overall, among the majority of our intellectual leaders in this our little world.

When it comes to e.g. political leadership, who does Nigeria boast of ?

The answer to that question is probably not unconnected with the brain-drain from Nigeria and other African countries, except that unlike Brother Malcolm, which Nigerian can say  today, “We're not Americans, we're Africans who happen to be in America. We were kidnapped and brought here against our will from Africa!”

Gregory Porter :

Light at the End of the Tunnel

Salimonu Kadiri

Jun 4, 2019, 6:16:10 AM6/4/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Dis Kperogi man is a real *bukuru* person -Nigerian pidgin for 'scholar' - Oluwatoyin Vincent Adepoju.
​In fact, the correct pidgin English for a scholar in Nigeria, if he is a male person, is : dis man na buukù.

I was shocked to read Kperogi, pre-2015, exonerating Buhari for his 'dogs and baboons shall be soaked in blood' speech, Buhari threatening what would happen if lost the 2015 elections - Oluwatoyin Vincent Adepoju.
​What Buhari actually said was that dogs and baboon would be soaked in blood if the 2015 elections were rigged and not as you have distorted to, if he lost 2015 elections.

​Since the foundations on which you build your response to Farooq above are false the rest of your message pertaining to herdsmen has automatically crumbled.
S. Kadiri

Jun 4, 2019, 7:27:12 AM6/4/19
to usaafricadialogue
Buhari said 'if what happened in 2011 happens in 2015, dogs and baboons would be soaked in blood' demonstrating his primitive mentality that now has unleashed Fulani herdsmen terrorism on the nation.

Why must elections and soaking in blood go together?

Some are arguing he meant if rigging took place. Of course, he is not known to have ever congratulated the winner of any election where he was defeated even when he could not have won, his fate before he got the help of the blind Tinubu and his allies in the SW. So, his own failure can never be seen by him as representing the deserved victory of his opponent.

Are you still on your defense of terrorism by right wing Fulani using Fulani herdsmen as a launching pad?

Nigeria has left you behind.

Cant you see that even on this forum no one argues agst that reality anymore?

Well before Fayose armed his people agst the herdsmen terrorists in Ekiti, I had called for that.

Well before others recognized the herdsmen militia as an ethnically centred terrorist group, i had long done so.

We now have T.Y.Danjuma, Obasanjo and now Cardinal Okogie crying about the same scourge.

The next thing they all need to do PUBLICLY, is acknowledge that Buhari is the leader of this terrorist group.

As long as the Southern elite keep silent about what almost everyone now knows, the country is likely to continue to be in flames with the nation wide campaign of terror being carried out by right wing Fulani in terms of systematic massacres, kidnapping, robberies, rapes and individual murders across the nation.

toyin

and their associayed militia

Salimonu Kadiri

Jun 4, 2019, 4:54:14 PM6/4/19
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Buhari said, 'if what happened in 2011 happens in 2915, dogs and baboons would be soaked in blood' demonstrating his primitive mentality that now has unleashed Fulani herdsmen terrorism on the nation. Why must elections soaking in blood go together? .Oluwatoyin Vincent Adepoju.
​The Presidential elections of 2011, particularly in the North, was rigged in favour of Goodluck Jonathan and the election tribunal up to the Supreme Court approved the rigging against evidence. Speaking of his experience from the Judiciary in 2011, he vowed not to file any election petition if the 2015 elections were rigged with impunity. Buhari was, in fact, stating the obvious that majority of the voters that voted for him would not tolerate rigging with his dogs and baboons would be soaked in blood expression. To refresh your memory, Awolowo was in prison when the election to the Western House of Assembly in 1965 was rigged. The civilised people of Western Region rejected the rigging and started operation WÉTÌÈ that culminated in a military push by the revolutionary Majors on 15 January 1966, although their revolutionary coup was stolen by ethnic supremacists. The Supreme Court has now called for the soaking of dogs and baboons in Zamfara by its decision of 24 May 2019 which annulled the participation of APC in the February and March elections in Zamfara to the National Assembly and the Gubernatorial and State's House of Assembly respectively on the flimsy excuse of improper APC pre-election primaries in the State. Consequently, the Supreme court disenfranchised all those who voted for APC in the elections and awarded victory to PDP. Yet, Section 140, subsection 1 of the 1999 constitution as amended states emphatically : Subject to subsection 2 of this Section, if the Tribunal or the Court , as the case may be, determines that a candidate who was returned as elected was not validly elected on any ground, the tribunal or the court shall nullify the election. Subsection 2 contains what should follow nullification : Where an election Tribunal or Court nullifies an election on the ground that the person who obtained the highest votes at the election was not qualified to contest the election, the election Tribunal or the Court shall not declare the person with the second highest votes as elected, but shall order a fresh election. Despite this incontrovertible Section of the Constitution the Supreme Court of Nigeria unilaterally declared all PDP candidates in Zamfara elections with less votes than the APC elected. If to you, that is a civilised Court's decision, others see it as invitation to soak the dogs and baboons in blood. That is the point of intersection between the graph of rigged elections and soaking of dogs and baboons in blood.

Are you still on your defence of terrorism by right wing Fulani using Fulani herdsmen as a launching pad?; Nigeria has left you behind. Can't you see that even on this forum no one argues against that reality anymore - Olwatoyin Vincent Adepoju.
I don't swim along with the stream as others do, especially, when I can see that the stream will eventually take them to a drowning destination. It is educated Nigerians, like you, who believe that yam is a fruit that grows on a tree who can believe that Fulani herdsmen with their cattle around them can engage in terrorism. The real terrorist with regards to Fulani herdsmen are the thousands of agricultural and veterinary Scientists who are employed in the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and all the 36 states in Nigeria. Despite the fact that they are well paid with all kinds of allowances, they have kept the pastoral farmers, of which the Fulani herdsmen constitute majority, in the 10th century nomadic working condition whereby they have to walk hundred kilometers daily with their cattle to look for forage and water. Nigeria's agricultural Engineers and Veterinary Scientists whose education have not impacted positively by creating subsidized ranches for pastoral farmers are the real terrorists and not the Fulani herdsmen who are constantly attacked by cattle rustlers and livestock guards demanding to be paid for grazing cattle in wild-growing forest. On Fulani herdsmen terrorism follow this link. http://www.saharareporters.com/2019/04/09/20-dead-scores-injured-men-military-uniform-invade-kaduna-community.
20 Dead, Scores Injured As 'Men In Military Uniform' Invade Kaduna Community One of the eyewitnesses, who preferred not to be named, said: “As they shot sporadically, some of us escaped into the ...
Please look at the picture depicting Fulani herdsmen in military uniform killing 20 and injuring scores in Kaduna community. Common sense is not always common, at list, to some people.
S. Kadiri

Skickat: den 4 juni 2019 13:13