Trump, Russia and a Racist Theory

Toyin Falola

Jul 16, 2018, 10:30:43 PM7/16/18
to dialogue
A theory for discussion:

My theory is that another reason for Trump’s affinity for Putin and Russia may be because he sees both as strong representations of a white nation, unlike the Western Europeans whose nations, as Trump sees things, have been ravaged and sullied by immigrants. You need only look at the composition of the English, French and German soccer teams to understand that way of thinking.
A theory is an entry point....

Sent from my iPhone

Chidi Anthony Opara, FIIM

Jul 17, 2018, 2:02:35 AM7/17/18
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
I am rather of the opinion that Trump needs Russia to fight the multi faceted efforts of the American political establishment(who, by the way, see him as an outsider)to render his electoral mandate illegitimate by the inference that the intervention of Russia in that election made his victory possible.

Despite the indictments, Trump insisted on raising the issue with Putin (as if Putin can ever admit) and when Putin denied, he believed him.

Trump knows that if the American political establishment succeed in pushing through, the Russia meddling argument, that his place in history would be endangered.

By constantly running to Russia (knowing that Russia would always deny the meddling allegation), Trump hopes to render the 2016 election meddling by Russia inference incredible.

CAO.

Ibrahim Abdullah

Jul 17, 2018, 2:03:16 AM7/17/18
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
A theory could also be a dead end—-Janus faced: entry point and cul de sac!

Sent from my iPhone
> --
> Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Shola Adenekan

Jul 17, 2018, 5:50:49 AM7/17/18
to usaafricadialogue
According to Prof Stephen Small (UCLA Berkeley), who gave a presentation in my class three weeks ago, there are only 7 million people of African descent in Europe out of a population of 770 million (excluding Turkey). If you add other non-Caucasian , there are probably about 20 million non-white people in Europe, which is less than the population of Black people in the US alone. So, what you see in the French, Belgian and English national teams does not represent the reality on the ground.

The problem is that the mainstream media are not pushing the reality and instead let politicians like Trump get away with this false notion that Europe is full of immigrants.

I actually think the reason Trump is so willing to humiliate his own country is because Putin has something on him. I know that Stephen Colbert and Trevor Noah have been pushing this theory, but this goes beyond comedy. I think this is real.

Ire o!
Shola

On 17 July 2018 at 04:52, Ibrahim Abdullah <ibdu...@gmail.com> wrote:
A theory could also be a dead end—-Janus faced: entry point and cul de sac!

Sent from my iPhone

> On 17 Jul 2018, at 02:29, Toyin Falola <toyin...@austin.utexas.edu> wrote:
>
> A theory for discussion:
>
> My theory is that another reason for Trump’s affinity for Putin and Russia may be because he sees both as strong representations of a white nation, unlike the Western Europeans whose nations, as Trump sees things, have been ravaged and sullied by immigrants. You need only look at the composition of the English, French and German soccer teams to understand that way of thinking.
> A theory is an entry point....
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> --
> Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Dr. Shola Adenekan
African Literature and Cultures
University of Bremen

Editor/Publisher:
The New Black Magazine - http://www.thenewblackmagazine.com

Adeshina Afolayan

Jul 17, 2018, 5:51:01 AM7/17/18
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
I am minded to take Oga Chidi's side in this theorizing. I think it is a flight of fancy to really think Trump is so intellectually savvy to generate a white nationalist ideology on which an "America First" slogan can ride. I think he is just muddling through the terrible intricacies of national and global politics, badmouthing and loud-mouthing all and everything off the cuff, and riding on the silly and racist whitelash of white nationalist fervor in America and Europe. I couldn't imagine the silly siding with Putin yesterday. In fact, it seems to me that Putin will have a huge belly laugh behind the high walls of the Kremlin after Trump had left. And he would think, what a silly dumpling this guy is! Trump is actually caught in a web, and he is grasping at straws to save his head.

Adeshina Afolayan, PhD
Department of Philosophy
University of Ibadan

+23480-3928-8429

On Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 7:03:21 AM GMT+1, Ibrahim Abdullah <ibdu...@gmail.com> wrote:

A theory could also be a dead end—-Janus faced: entry point and cul de sac!

Sent from my iPhone

> On 17 Jul 2018, at 02:29, Toyin Falola <toyin...@austin.utexas.edu> wrote:
>
> A theory for discussion:
>
> My theory is that another reason for Trump’s affinity for Putin and Russia may be because he sees both as strong representations of a white nation, unlike the Western Europeans whose nations, as Trump sees things, have been ravaged and sullied by immigrants. You need only look at the composition of the English, French and German soccer teams to understand that way of thinking.
> A theory is an entry point....
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> --
> Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Cornelius Hamelberg

Jul 17, 2018, 6:00:53 AM7/17/18
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
Dear Professor Falola,

As far as racial theory goes, I'm afraid that you are right about this one. The antecedents are a few hundred years old. It's a matter of standard racial conciousness going back to before the arrival of the White Founding Fathers. As Malcolm X the African nationalist put it, " we did not land on Plymouth Rock, the Rock was landed on us."

With reference to the US - Russia axis I recall Khalid al Mansour quoting Nixon's letter to Brezhnev, in which Nixon is alleged to have said, " Why don't we get together and FKK the yellow man, the Chinese? After all we are white !"

It looks like paradoxes will never cease. It was Nixon who "opened up China" when he sent his emissary Richrd Holbrooke there and now a few decades later Trump has just kickstarted a trade war with China perhaps with the end game aim of making America Great Again

Abdalqdir al Murabitun once said that the USA and the USSR were founded on very similar principles and in what is now the near future , will eventually get together. Improbable as that may sound just now, time will tell...

Cornelius Hamelberg

Jul 17, 2018, 6:35:37 AM7/17/18
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
From where did Professor Small get such very small fantasy figures? At least 20 million of African descent would be a little closer to the mark. In Sweden alone the very accurate figure is 300,000 and the birth rates are getting more and more phenomenal...

At the NATO SUMMIT you heard Trump grumbling very loudly to Germany's Angela Merkel that she is too dependent on Russian gas, etc...

Trump has also slapped some stiff import duties on European exports to the US and it looks like more and more (NATO nothwitstanding) Europe is increasing business ties with China.

Harley Davidson motorcycles are now becoming prohibitively expensive so some buddies are looking to the Suzuki Intruder (Japanese

Windows Live 2018

Jul 17, 2018, 6:35:39 AM7/17/18
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com, dialogue
That theory may not be far from the truth:  Here comes Trump to the UK. Sadiq Khan London's Mayor and Boris Johnson have both savaged his take on immigration and could not stand meeting him ( in fact you could attribute Johnson's timing of his exit as Foreign Secretary to the visit by Trump) yet Trump shortly before arrival savages Khan ( a Moslem) in the hope that he resigns in disgust at meeting Trump or is fired

To mollify Boris Johnson Trump on arrival says he thinks Johnson will make a good Prime Minister having said on the  eve of his arrival ( in covert sexist tone) that it is up to the British public what they do with Theresa May whose ministers desert over disagreements on Brexit.  In other words he prefers to deal with a male PM who knows how to deal with immigration ( note the low esteem he has for Germany's Angela Merkel on the same issue but not outspokenly for the male European leaders who are not hardliners on immigration.  I.e.female leaders are too soft on immigration  because of their feminine nature so should not be elected into office. Only among male leaders could macho men  be found who would unflinchingly stand up for their country on matters of immigration.

 Note too that the First Minister of his Scottish retreat where he idled at his golf course ( and where there were waves of protests against him) is now a woman.

OAA.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Jul 17, 2018, 7:49:34 AM7/17/18
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
When Putin first came to power and started in a modest way this Trump- mania no one thought he would last more than one term in office with it (in a way this may be why Trump was conceived in the imagination of the architects of American  realpolitiks.)  but who would ever have thought anyone could out-Putin Putin.

OAA

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

I am minded to take Oga Chidi's side in this theorizing. I think it is a flight of fancy to really think Trump is so intellectually savvy to generate a white nationalist ideology on which an "America First" slogan can ride. I think he is just muddling through the terrible intricacies of national and global politics, badmouthing and loud-mouthing all and everything off the cuff, and riding on the silly and racist whitelash of white nationalist fervor in America and Europe. I couldn't imagine the silly siding with Putin yesterday. In fact, it seems to me that Putin will have a huge belly laugh behind the high walls of the Kremlin after Trump had left. And he would think, what a silly dumpling this guy is! Trump is actually caught in a web, and he is grasping at straws to save his head.

Adeshina Afolayan, PhD
Department of Philosophy
University of Ibadan

+23480-3928-8429

On Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 7:03:21 AM GMT+1, Ibrahim Abdullah <ibdu...@gmail.com> wrote:

A theory could also be a dead end—-Janus faced: entry point and cul de sac!

Sent from my iPhone

> On 17 Jul 2018, at 02:29, Toyin Falola <toyin...@austin.utexas.edu> wrote:
>
> A theory for discussion:
>
> My theory is that another reason for Trump’s affinity for Putin and Russia may be because he sees both as strong representations of a white nation, unlike the Western Europeans whose nations, as Trump sees things, have been ravaged and sullied by immigrants. You need only look at the composition of the English, French and German soccer teams to understand that way of thinking.
> A theory is an entry point....
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> --
> Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Mobolaji Aluko

Jul 17, 2018, 10:36:26 AM7/17/18
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

TF:

You are thinking too hard about Trump. I agree with Adeshina and Chid that there are less sinister motives for Trump's behavior.  Or are they more sinister?

Trump is a rich White unfully-formed adult who episodically toyed with the idea of President, became komproatized along the way by the Russians who encouraged him to give the Presidency a try, that they might assist without any assurance of success - and they did successfully - and now he has an expensive toy that he believes he can play with anyhow.   I don't believe that he has been sufficiently intellectually curious to develop a racist theory on a global political scale - like say Hitler.

Yesterday's performance at Helsinki was his final undoing, I think.  It was Max Boot, a CNN commentator, who said that what makes Trump different from any other American presudent is the doubt of his loyalty to the USA, his MAGA slogan nothwithstsnding, his egotistical, almost maniacal focus on self.  He is The Muskovite Candidate, akin to Manchurian, and neither he or Putin could hide it yesterday.  In their secret one-on-one meeting, they must have scripted their joint performance - and it was scary.

The next days, weeks and months in the USA will be interesting.

Bolaji Aluko

On Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 'Adeshina Afolayan' via USA Africa Dialogue Series <usaafric...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I am minded to take Oga Chidi's side in this theorizing. I think it is a flight of fancy to really think Trump is so intellectually savvy to generate a white nationalist ideology on which an "America First" slogan can ride. I think he is just muddling through the terrible intricacies of national and global politics, badmouthing and loud-mouthing all and everything off the cuff, and riding on the silly and racist whitelash of white nationalist fervor in America and Europe. I couldn't imagine the silly siding with Putin yesterday. In fact, it seems to me that Putin will have a huge belly laugh behind the high walls of the Kremlin after Trump had left. And he would think, what a silly dumpling this guy is! Trump is actually caught in a web, and he is grasping at straws to save his head.

Adeshina Afolayan, PhD
Department of Philosophy
University of Ibadan

+23480-3928-8429

On Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 7:03:21 AM GMT+1, Ibrahim Abdullah <ibdu...@gmail.com> wrote:

A theory could also be a dead end—-Janus faced: entry point and cul de sac!

Sent from my iPhone

> On 17 Jul 2018, at 02:29, Toyin Falola <toyin...@austin.utexas.edu> wrote:
>
> A theory for discussion:
>
> My theory is that another reason for Trump’s affinity for Putin and Russia may be because he sees both as strong representations of a white nation, unlike the Western Europeans whose nations, as Trump sees things, have been ravaged and sullied by immigrants. You need only look at the composition of the English, French and German soccer teams to understand that way of thinking.
> A theory is an entry point....
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> --
> Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Toyin Falola

Jul 17, 2018, 10:46:07 AM7/17/18
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
In a normal political climate, his party should stab him at the back by using the ongoing investigation to impeach him and replace him with his VP.
However, if it is true that his 40 percent remains behind him, it is better to let him serve his term.
In life, we always have to deal with an alawoku—half normal/half sane.
Trump is not normal.
I am less than five years to retirement and I am for ever conscious not to tarnish my reputation. I don’t even talk anymore for fear of saying something stupid. But this Trump is unconscious and bipolar.
TF

Sent from my iPhone
To post to this group, send an email to USAAfric...@googlegroups.com
Current archives at http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue
Early archives at http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.

Mobolaji Aluko

Jul 17, 2018, 11:12:01 AM7/17/18
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

TF:

Does this Professor like us have two heads?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Bolaji Aluko

Professor who predicted Trump's win now certain he will be impeached within a year

Allan Lichtman says the President will be gone by the spring of 2018

Click to follow
The Independent US
 The university professor who predicted Donald Trump’s election win has now claimed that the President will be impeached within a year.
American University Professor Allan Lichtman predicted a Trump win in September 2016 – long before most Americans considered it a possibility. But his prediction came with a hedge: the Republican president would also be impeached.

Now, Mr Lichtman writes in an essay for TIME, the Mr Trump is closer to impeachment than ever.

“A Russian sword of Damocles is hanging over this American president by the slenderest of threads,” Mr Lichtman writes. “When this sword falls even Republicans, as in the Nixon case, will likely be compelled to begin impeachment proceedings.”

In fact, Mr Lichtman told the Daily Star, the impeachment will likely come in the spring of 2018.

The reason for this, Mr Lichtman claims, lies with the indictments recently handed down by special counsel Robert Mueller.

Mr Trump claims he was nonplussed by the indictment of his former campaign manager and the plea deal signed by one of his campaign staffers – “I’m not under investigation, as you know,” he told the New York Times – but Mr Lichtman says he should be concerned.

“Already, Mueller’s filing in federal court of just partial information from his plea deal with [former campaign staffer George] Papadopoulos, contains stunning new revelations,” Mr Lichtman writes.

Emeagwali, Gloria (History)

Jul 18, 2018, 2:14:24 PM7/18/18
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Trump's father was allegedly  a white robed Klansman.

The son  probably thought he would carry on the father's  legacy. His racism popped up  rather early. Remember the four African Americans wrongly accused for a murder in Central park and Trump's automatic, racialized,  unfounded accusations? Then there are the several cases where Black people were excluded from rental of his property.

The Birther controversy against Obama is well known. We have witnessed recently  racist  statements from him. His aim is to terminate policies such as affirmative action and  keep out non-white immigrants from the US. That is what the callous separation of families aims at. Note his complaint against Britain and Germany- especially Merkel's open-door policy.

 He is no Hitler. He is a twitter writer- short, impulsive and lite. He has not written a Mein Kampf  but America First is his caption and substitute for such a work.

We are still trying to understand the Putin-Trump connection but recall that Putin is quite happy to ally with the ultra-Right  nationalists- maybe for political strategy. Recall the French election and his support of  Marine Le Pen. Trump has the same inclination. This kind of stuff  binds them together. I don't know about   hidden tapes and/or undercover money.  Icing on the cake? Time will tell.

Joefred Uwaelue

Oct 1, 2019, 12:47:13 AM10/1/19
to USA Africa Dialogue Series
This theory is interesting because it would give insight into reasons behind Trump’s anti immigrant stance. He is on record of asking why immigrants from minority countries come to the United States. Then said he wanted the immigrants from white countries to come. Seeing that Russia also has a strong white nationalist background, it could be why Trump has been the most lenient president with Russia in recent times. Despite his contact denial, Trump does have white supremacist ideals, so Trump’s affinity with Putin and Russia could very well be for those reasons.