Notable Publications from African Philosophers of the past 2 years

bfre...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2023, 4:49:37 PM4/29/23
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Dear Colleagues,

I am currently collecting entries for a “Notable Publications”- section for the American Philosophical Association’s “Studies on Philosophy and the Black Experience” (https://www.apaonline.org/general/custom.asp?page=black_experience_apastudies). As of the next issue, we will (finally!) include continental African philosophy as well. I was wondering if some of you would like to send me some references to publications (books or papers) you would like to make more widely known!

Thank you!

Bjoern

Björn Freter (he/him/his), PhD

Lecturer in World Philosophy

School of History, Religions and Philosophies,

The School of Oriental & African Studies (SOAS),

University of London

bf...@soas.ac.uk

Oluwatoyin Adepoju

May 1, 2023, 10:12:53 AM5/1/23
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Interesting.

why only the past two years?

Within that time frame i would suggest Nimi Wariboko, specfically his acknowedgements to his books, my favourite being that to The Split God: Pentecostalism and Critical Theory, and his accounts of his inspiration as a scholar in ''I Am Transdiciplinary.''

He is a very powerful writer across his various publications but these more informal contexts have him spreading his wings in a unique  way.

I also deeply admire Akinwumi Ogundiran on Yoruba Orisha spirituality in relation to human creativity in relation to time and eternity in The Yoruba A New History. Ogundiran's summation and his later elaboration on it are presented in my "Scholarship and the Creative Process : Akinwumi Ogundiran on Contemplative Observation and the Distillation of Learning in Writing The Yoruba : A New History".

thanks

toyin

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin

Björn Freter

Jul 18, 2023, 12:12:04 PM7/18/23
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Dear Toyin,

thank you so much! I hope you are doing well!

The two years was a somewhat arbitrary period of time. Thank you very much for these good ideas, I have added some of them to the list.
I am also in awe of the new Yoruba history book. I have not finished the book, but it is certainly a masterpiece by Ogundiran. It is very helpful for my current work on Sophie Oluwole!

Thank you!
Best,
Bjoern

Oluwatoyin Adepoju