Flying Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday

Wings-Aron Lantz

Oct 16, 2021, 1:54:42 PM10/16/21
to 'Wings-Aron Lantz' via Upstate NY Free Flyers, hyne...@googlegroups.com, RAF, FLYING ALERTS
Good morning,

Harris Hill Monday is looking good.  I'm going.  Probably going up Sunday evening and camping.

Bob "Bunkhouse" is planning on going up to Harris Hill Sunday evening.

If Sunday is looking good for flying at Tuscarora I might go there then head over to Harris Sunday evening.

Tuesday hopefully will also be good at Harris Hill...if not, then heading to Hyner (2hr drive from Harris)

Wednesday is looking good at Hyner...
There is a potential photo/video op for HG/PG at Hyner with the DCNR film crew this week for a video of PA outdoor conservation areas...not sure what day this is happening but maybe Wednesday...still coordinating that effort hopefully getting it to happen on a great flying day!

Who is in for a few days of chasing flying?

Aron

email sign off-
Want more flying opportunities?
see www.soaringroadtrip.com for more regional flying days. Try the tools.  Built by pilots for pilots!  Thanks, Aron

Mark Donahoe

Oct 16, 2021, 2:16:18 PM10/16/21
to Wings-Aron Lantz, 'Wings-Aron Lantz' via Upstate NY Free Flyers, hyne...@googlegroups.com, RAF, FLYING ALERTS
👍

Wings-Aron Lantz

Oct 18, 2021, 8:30:56 PM10/18/21
to RAF, 'Wings-Aron Lantz' via Upstate NY Free Flyers, hyner, FLYING ALERTS
Flight report for Monday at Harris:
It was blowing hard all day, but we got hope of flying at around 3pm and set up.

Jim K. came out to help today.

"Bunkhouse" Bob flew first with the big Atos about 4:20pm and had around a half hour and 600 over till some raindrops came along.

Aron flew next about 4:30pm.  Flew about an hour and 400 over...with the Northwing Liberty.  A few raindrops but then it was ok.

The air was textured, not the roughest ever, but some ups and downs, ramps and dumps...almost was flushed and was back down at just below launch level, then it turned back on and got back up.

Upon leaving the ridge at 250 over, it became more noticeable how strong the wind was when trying to penetrate to the lz.  Pulled more VG and made it ok.

Landings were good and no corn was impacted.

Thanks to Jim and Julie for helping us get launched and vehicle jockey operations!

Elmira Tower was called before and after flying.

See what tomorrow's weather brings...

Aron

email sign off-
Want more flying opportunities?
see www.soaringroadtrip.com for more regional flying days. Try the tools.  Built by pilots for pilots!  Thanks, Aron

Wings-Aron Lantz

Oct 19, 2021, 9:14:34 AM10/19/21
to Robert Slebodnik, 'Wings-Aron Lantz' via Upstate NY Free Flyers, hyner
Bob,
Although the weather looks nice from a sun and temperature standpoint...

It appears to be following the forecast of West wind at Harris

At 8:15 it was 7mph, west cross, less gust.  Now it is building stonger.

On launch now at 9am it is west cross, blowing 5-12mph.  West cross is scary at Harris because of the rolling action the mountain in front creates...

I'm going to use today as a travel day, 2 hour drive to Hyner...maybe an evening flight there if the wind backs down, Hyner is a west and nw site.  DCNR is trying to film flying there Wednesday early in the day.

Anybody want to travel south to fly?

Aron

email sign off-
Want more flying opportunities?
see www.soaringroadtrip.com for more regional flying days. Try the tools.  Built by pilots for pilots!  Thanks, Aron
On Oct 18, 2021, at 8:39 PM, Robert Slebodnik <rslebo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Aron,
Thanks for the report.

Could you post an on-site weather update tomorrow morning?  It is looking to me like it will probably be too gusty for PG flying, but I'll check the forecast again in the morning and hear what you have to say.

Bob S.

Mark Donahoe

Oct 19, 2021, 9:26:54 AM10/19/21
to Wings-Aron Lantz, Robert Slebodnik, 'Wings-Aron Lantz' via Upstate NY Free Flyers, hyner
Aron,
Thanks for the heads up. Put the glider on top, but hadn't left yet. Have a good day. See you the next time.
Mark

Tim DuBois

Oct 19, 2021, 9:31:20 AM10/19/21
to Mark Donahoe, Wings-Aron Lantz, Robert Slebodnik, 'Wings-Aron Lantz' via Upstate NY Free Flyers, hyner
West = Bristol if the gusts settle down.

Robert Slebodnik

Oct 19, 2021, 10:26:36 AM10/19/21
to Tim DuBois, Mark Donahoe, Wings-Aron Lantz, 'Wings-Aron Lantz' via Upstate NY Free Flyers, hyner
Aron,
Thanks for the report. I came to the same conclusion after seeing the wind direction and the gust factor at Harris.  Bristol looks too gusty for me as well. Friday and the weekend have possibilities for some flying. I hope to see folks then.
Best wishes to all.
Bob Slebodnik

Robert Skinner

Oct 19, 2021, 11:58:56 AM10/19/21
to Robert Slebodnik, Tim DuBois, Mark Donahoe, Wings-Aron Lantz, 'Wings-Aron Lantz' via Upstate NY Free Flyers, hyner