“Yaesu FT-65” radios

Glauber, Leo

Oct 26, 2021, 8:50:47 AM10/26/21
to Rochester Area Flyers, Upstate NY Free Flyers

A few weeks back I went to Eagle Paragliding in Santa Barbara for their P2 program. I ended up flying 6 ½ days and almost got my P2. I was supposed to fly the mountains on my last day, but took a pretty bad fall in the shower and left 1 day early.

Instructors communicate with students via “Yaesu FT-65” radios, and I think that would be very beneficial for our towing program.

-Leo

Oct 26, 2021, 9:25:23 AM10/26/21
to Glauber, Leo, Rochester Area Flyers, Upstate NY Free Flyers
Only downside to Yaesu radios is that we are supposed to be licensed for that ( 2meter) band.

--

Rob

Jim Black

Oct 26, 2021, 3:57:17 PM10/26/21
to Rochester Area Flyers, Upstate NY Free Flyers
Our local flying culture is sort of non-radio in reality for some reason. Me included, admittedly. Almost nobody routinely flies within their radio, even though most of us have them. I think there are several reasons for this.

First - our training programs (HG) don't use them in training. Possibly because flights on the training hill (HG) are about 30 seconds long. With my PG training in Santa Barbara, training flights were longer and involved more turns and time and opportunities for verbal coaching. The general PG training method there was to throw PG students off the 250 foot (?) training hill at Elings Park and coach them by radio. Sort of like radio controlled RC planes :) This is why PG pilots are flying from the top of the training hill about 2 hrs into their 1st day of training.

Second - we often try to use wired or wireless push to talk (PTT) and speakers installed in our helmets, which are generally a pain in the ass! I have tried/used many and when I'm setting up (HG) I usually say... fuck it, since there would likely be nobody to talk to anyway. (How many different PTT setups has Rob Skinner had over the years :)? ) The setup used at Eagle (and I assume by most PG pilots is this. Much simpler with the radio in a harness pocket and the speaker/PTT button clipped to your shoulder.
This requires the pilot to remove hand from the control bar or brakes but in reality we shouldn't be messing with our radios unless everything is under control

Several other random thoughts....

There is nothing unique about the Yeasu 2 meter radio other than it is likely better made than the cheaper radios. I bought a Yeasu radio when I was at Eagle with the idea that a better and more expensive radio would encourage me to actually use it. It didn't.

Regarding a required license. This is true and the law/regulations require it, but it is generally ignored and unlikely to be enforced. Gaining a HAM license might be a great club activity over the winter if someone wants to organize it.

In conclusion... I plan to bring my charged Yeasu radio and speaker mic when flying (HG or PG) and use it going forward. Bring your radios and let's see if we can shift our non-radio local flying culture!

Fly Wise Fly High Fly Safe,
Jim Black

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 12:34 PM David Oddy <da...@davidoddy.com> wrote:
What are you using now for radios?  I agree that it's easy to get licensed.  I crammed for ham over the weekend and passed pretty easily.  But you don't need a license to listen and transmission is mostly just needed for emergencies, so everyone in our area flies with a radio.  We try to encourage people to get licensed if they're going to transmit, but most don't seem to bother.  Personally I feel pretty vulnerable and exposed without a radio on the occasion that I forget mine. ;)

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021, 9:07 AM 'Fred Miller' via RochesterAreaFlyers <rochester...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
It’s really easy to get licensed. Plenty of info online on what to study and Ham clubs have tests all the time.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 26, 2021, at 9:25 AM, Robert Skinner <robertg...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
***Be sure to check the Group Calendar often!***

http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=rochesterareaflyers%40gmail.com&ctz=America/New_York

You received this because you are subscribed to "RochesterAreaFlyers"
For more options, visit this group at:
http://groups.google.com/group/rochesterareaflyers?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RochesterAreaFlyers" group.

***Be sure to check the Group Calendar often!***

http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=rochesterareaflyers%40gmail.com&ctz=America/New_York

You received this because you are subscribed to "RochesterAreaFlyers"
For more options, visit this group at:
http://groups.google.com/group/rochesterareaflyers?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RochesterAreaFlyers" group.

David Oddy

Oct 26, 2021, 4:09:40 PM10/26/21
to Jim Black, Rochester Area Flyers, Upstate NY Free Flyers
Makes sense!  Yeah I've tried different radio ptt approaches.   I settled on a wired ptt button on my thumb which lets me communicate without moving my hands.  I don't pass my thumb through the toggle, so it doesn't interfere at all.  They break sometimes, but the headsets I use are about $12 so I can buy a couple per year.

But I also tend to fly in places without phone service, so sometimes radios are our best bet for retrieves, coordination and other issues.  For emergencies, we have inreach but that takes time and it's still good to have radios.  I can also think of a couple of times where we needed to clear the air for helicopter rescue and radios have been super helpful to notify pilots in the air and to stop others from launching. I'm sure the utility of radios varies according to location.

Glauber, Leo

Oct 28, 2021, 1:43:25 PM10/28/21
to David Oddy, Jim Black, Rochester Area Flyers, Upstate NY Free Flyers

Rob Sporrer from Eagle Paragliding (r...@paraglide.com) said “You only need the "Technician" License, but go for whatever level you want”

He referenced this link:

How To Get Your Ham Radio License in 3 Simple Steps

https://hamradioprep.com/how-to-get-your-ham-radio-license-made-easy/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwlOmLBhCHARIsAGiJg7mKgypH2pGewqO7-xVMiBz0VTdH2s0qKHq1hBfJUX7H0Lut2_uVuEcaAtipEALw_wcB

-Leo

im Black <jbl...@naz.edu>
Cc: Rochester Area Flyers <rochester...@googlegroups.com>; Upstate NY Free Flyers <upstate-ny-...@googlegroups.com>