Sub-menus in IIAB 7.2?

Jason Nicholas

Dec 19, 2020, 9:08:55 AM12/19/20
to Unleash Kids
I'm building boxes for rural education using IIAB7.2, am wondering how do I create nested sub-menus for the home page? I've got multiple Wikis and TED playlists among other things, would like to reduce the clutter on the homepage.
I know I can build a Wordpress site, but I prefer to use the built-in menu if possible for simplicity sake.

Thanks!

Adam Holt

Dec 19, 2020, 10:10:25 AM12/19/20
to Jason Nicholas, Unleash Kids!
On Sat, Dec 19, 2020, 9:08 AM Jason Nicholas <jayk...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm building boxes for rural education using IIAB7.2,

In what part(s) of the world?

am wondering how do I create nested sub-menus for the home page? I've got multiple Wikis and TED playlists among other things, would like to reduce the clutter on the homepage.
I know I can build a Wordpress site, but I prefer to use the built-in menu if possible for simplicity sake.

Great question, exacerbated by the flood of new Content Pack offerings, and larger microSD cards now common!

Tim Moody should provide more details later today I think, and possibly Nathan Riddle too, explaining how others are handing this "infodemic" (:

For Starters, Please See:

We also need to add an entry within http://FAQ.IIAB.IO explaining options here in coming months, and could use your perspective and others' getting this right, please keep in touch Jason !

PS consider joining our Thursday calls and associated chat channel (http://minutes.iiab.io) if you have time to refine here with others!

Jason Nicholas

Dec 20, 2020, 8:54:28 AM12/20/20
to Adam Holt, Unleash Kids!

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020, 8:32 PM Jason Nicholas <jayk...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm working in Malaysia, in response to recent news of kids getting hurt traversing long distances to find internet for school.

Thanks for the tips. I'll take a look at the FAQ as well and share my thoughts.

Jason Nicholas

Dec 20, 2020, 8:54:28 AM12/20/20
to Adam Holt, Unleash Kids!
I'm working in Malaysia, in response to recent news of kids getting hurt traversing long distances to find internet for school.

Thanks for the tips. I'll take a look at the FAQ as well and share my thoughts.

Nathan Riddle

Dec 20, 2020, 10:53:52 PM12/20/20
to Adam Holt, Jason Nicholas, Unleash Kids!
Adam,
The FAQ link (by Tim Moody) adequately describes nesting of menus that I posted on github IIAB six months ago.

I have been working with VT's Digital Library, which is an extended RACHEL, on $20 GL-inet MI300N-V2 ,Mango,@ $20) router which comes with OpenWRT .

http://download.villagetelco.org/firmware/digital-library/documents/Released/Ver-1.0/

It allows adding modules beyond RACHEL modules. The Main menu is the RACHEL Menu, but this can be added to (not document in manual) in Digital Library Firmware on the MT300 -- it is simple html file which can be extended by replicating sections.

I personal view the Digital Library as simpler for new sites to explore large content. It is a simple loading of the firmware (menu item on MT300's admin page) and a menu template onto a USB drive.

The best of the two worlds is to use IIAB to download and manage content and Digital Library for distributing the needed parts of IIAB's content to many local sites.

Nathan Riddle
https://www.xoshare.org
ilov...@gmail.org