Whereabouts of Tony Anderson

Kishwer Aziz

Aug 25, 2020, 3:56:38 PM8/25/20
to unlea...@googlegroups.com, Adam Holt, Tony Anderson, Rudolf...@mwgroup.net
Hello all,

I have been trying to get in touch with Tony Anderson by email but get no
April and he was in the Philippines waiting for flights to resume.

He usually spend his summer in Europe and always uses my home as a base
between Dubai, Europe and USA. So I am a bit worried about him. If anyone
has heard from him and he is well, do let me know.

Regards

Kishwer Aziz
Mobile/ WhatsApp: +44 7725816209
Skype: kishweraziz

Nancie Severs

Aug 25, 2020, 5:06:36 PM8/25/20
to Kishwer Aziz, Adam Holt, Rudolf...@mwgroup.net, Tony Anderson, unlea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kishwer and all,

Let us know when you find him! Maybe Adam has a US cell phone number? Rabi, when did you hear from him last?

Please keep us posted!
Tony, hope all is well!
Best,
Nancie:)

--

Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/unleashkids/000d01d67b19%24d6b73ca0%248425b5e0%24%40banktandd.com.

--
Nancie Severs Treasure Each Day

Adam Holt

Aug 25, 2020, 5:11:57 PM8/25/20
to Nancie Severs, Kishwer Aziz, Simon, Rudolf, Tony Anderson, Unleash Kids!
Likewise I spoke with Tony in very late April, when he was hoping to stay in the Philippines for many months.

Hope he & all are well ~

Caryl Bigenho

Aug 25, 2020, 6:04:03 PM8/25/20
to Adam Holt, Nancie Severs, Kishwer Aziz, Simon, Rudolf, Tony Anderson, Unleash Kids!
Hi Adam and Nancie,

I have a very cryptic old phone number for Tony... it has too many digits as far as I can see. Here it is:
652366336633. Maybe I accidentally put in part of it more than once.  I also have an old email address that might work: to...@olenpal.org

Let me know when and if you find him. I'm concerned because I think he and I are about the same age... not a time to be traveling all around the world.

Adam, I have been concerned about you as well. I haven't heard from you in a long while. How are you? Where are you? What are you up to? And how are your folks?

We kept postponing our trip to Montana because of the problems traveling. If we still had our motorhome we could have managed it, but now summer is almost over so we probably won't get to go again until 2021. Meanwhile we are very bored. Losing track of days and time in general. Trying to keep busy doing things to help Democrats win in November.

Which reminds me, it's time for MoveOn's Textback Tuesday. Gotta sign off and do that!

Stay safe everyone!
Caryl

Aug 25, 2020, 6:24:02 PM8/25/20
to Caryl Bigenho, Adam Holt, Kishwer Aziz, Simon, Rudolf, Tony Anderson, Unleash Kids!, to...@olenpal.org
Hi Caryl

That phone number does not look incorrect. It’s the same number of digits as my son’s mobile in Bangkok

65 is the Country Code for Singapore. It’s likely an old Sim Card he was using maybe in 2013 when Adam & I were in Malaysia with him. With that kind of travel we usually get a local Sim Card for each new country. Very likely not current.

Good idea to try the Olenepal email. I Copied him on this email. And Adam, I have the same questions as Caryl for you. Are you in Boston?

Mark and I are fortunate to be “stuck” at home in NH. We are not lacking for anything, but we missed the birth of a new grandson this month to our SF kids due to Covid travel risks. 😭
& We Wear Masks when we go anywhere which is infrequent.  😷

We hope you are ok, Tony and that we will all hear from you soon!

Best to all,
Nancie

Tony Anderson

Aug 25, 2020, 9:00:15 PM8/25/20
to Kishwer Aziz, unlea...@googlegroups.com, Adam Holt, Rudolf...@mwgroup.net
Hi, Kishwer

My apologies for not responding. I have been distracted by problems
communicating with my bank and financial advisors. I think these
problems are nearing resolution after spending at least $300 trying to
connect to them by phone (no 800 number).

Travel restrictions appear still to be in place. Unfortunately the
internet has made the status of travel a secret. For example, the
airlines report a normal array of flights from Palawan to Manila.
However, Romy reports that the airport is closed. I suspect that there
are flights from Dubai to London. However, I am not sure about travel
from Manila to Dubai. Once in London, I am not sure about travel to
Warsaw. I am sure there are flights to Warsaw, but travel for Americans
may not be possible or there may be special restrictions such as
quarantines. Naturally the airlines are keeping this information secret.
I see no possibility to travel to the US this year as it is the most
dangerous place on the planet for covid-19. I am hoping that travel to
Rwanda may be feasible in November.

I don't know you travel plans. We had previously talked about my coming
to London over the holidays and then going to Pakistan in January. I
don't know it fhat is still appropriate.

In the meantime I expect to be here in Palawan until November. I just
renewed my Visa to November 1, 2020.

Yours,

Tony
> .

Rabi Karmacharya

Aug 25, 2020, 10:39:33 PM8/25/20
to Tony Anderson, Kishwer Aziz, Unleash Kids!, Adam Holt, Simon, Rudolf
Hi Tony.

Good to hear that we are well!! Palawan doesn't sound like too bad a place to be stuck in. Are you in Puerto Princesa or somewhere up in a more beautiful part of the island?

Sending greetings to everyone around the world. We are in the midst of the second lockdown in Nepal, which means we get to hear more birds than vehicle noise.

Take care.
___
Rabi Karmacharya

Open Learning Exchange Nepal

--
Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !

T.K. Kang

Aug 25, 2020, 11:22:27 PM8/25/20
to Tony Anderson, Kishwer Aziz, Unleash Kids!, Adam Holt, Rudolf...@mwgroup.net
Good to know you are OK. Was thinking about the popular game "Where in the World is ....." Writing this with rest lawning garden. Spring coming next week in down under.

Take

Nancie Severs

Aug 25, 2020, 11:30:19 PM8/25/20
to Tony Anderson, Adam Holt, Kishwer Aziz, Rudolf...@mwgroup.net, unlea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony!!
Thanks for replying once it was morning where you are! We are so glad to know that you are safe in Palawan and that you can stay there for awhile. Your friends and colleagues are looking out for you!
All the best!
Nancie:)
Sharing a couple of memories:

--

Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/unleashkids/908fe6c3-3284-373d-e555-4d87b027e880%40usa.net.

kishwe...@banktandd.com

Aug 26, 2020, 4:39:54 AM8/26/20
to Tony Anderson, unlea...@googlegroups.com, Adam Holt, Rudolf...@mwgroup.net
Great to hear you are OK. Apologies for having started a world wide search for you. You are very welcome here in November, if travel is allowed. We arnt travelling anywhere soon.

Stay safe and stay in touch.
Regards
Kishwer

Sent from my Huawei phone

Adam Holt

Aug 26, 2020, 5:16:54 AM8/26/20
to Kishwer Aziz, Tony Anderson, Unleash Kids!, Rudolf...@mwgroup.net
Tony & All -

Do let us know some news about what's happening in the Philippines — and Rwanda and Nepal — when you can!

Apologies several of us are "Heads Down" now working on the upcoming release of Internet-in-a-Box 7.2 hopefully arriving within (about!) a month:

Yes schools are in serious transformative mode now, if they're open at all, which means we're getting new kinds of requests for Internet-in-a-Box from new parts of the world — as learning landscapes keep changing so much and so unexpectedly (month by month!)

One smaller consequence...among many...is that Internet-in-a-Box is also now installable on Linux Mint 20 (not just Ubuntu 20.04, Debian 10 etc) and experimentally on 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS too:

PS Internet-in-a-Box 7.1 was released ~3 months ago, for anybody wanting more explanation, e.g. on how you can build your own:

Pablo Flores

Aug 26, 2020, 4:12:45 PM8/26/20
to Adam Holt, Kishwer Aziz, Tony Anderson, Unleash Kids!, Rudolf...@mwgroup.net
Hi folks! It's great hearing from you!! Hope you're all doing well.
Unfortunately life has taken me through different roads out of educational technologies, but I still hope to have the opportunity to get back in some moment, as well as meeting you again!

Best regards, from Uruguay,
Pablo Flores

T.K. Kang

Aug 27, 2020, 2:09:10 AM8/27/20
to Adam Holt, Kishwer Aziz, Tony Anderson, Unleash Kids!, Rudolf...@mwgroup.net
Dear Tony,

Now we know you are relaxing in a beach front. Take care.

What are you working on recently with the XO?
I hope you can find sometime to see if a modern browser can be installed in the XO. Youtube, etc are not supporting the browsers that have been working until recently.

Recently I tried to see if I could this running but without success. Posted in SupportGang but have yet to hear anything:

Has anyone managed to get an XO to run as from the information below we have here? I tried the the make_ubuntu. sh script below but stalled after initial booting from a usb on a XO 1.5. Like this modernization OLPC project!

https://kgcoe-git.rit.edu/librepad/librepad/-/commit/06c43d672c359a36d0bd439e2d882fcaa62e8231

Christoph Derndorfer

Aug 28, 2020, 4:20:51 AM8/28/20
to Pablo Flores, Adam Holt, Kishwer Aziz, Tony Anderson, Unleash Kids!, Rudolf...@mwgroup.net
Hi all,

since this thread is starting to feel like some sort of virtual high school reunion I thought I should also drop in and say hi.

I hope everyone is doing fine, especially now that we know that Tony is well and sitting on a nice beach somewhere (and hopefully enjoying a cold and refreshing beverage every now and then:-).

Similarly to Pablo I haven't been actively involved in educational technologies lately (aside of the occasional workshops for children at "summer universities") but am still keeping an eye on what's going on.

And certainly do let me know in case anyone of you happens to find yourself in Vienna - it would be great to catch up!

Cheers,
Christoph

--
Christoph Derndorfer

volunteer, OLPC (Austria) / co-founder, TechnikBasteln® [www.technikbasteln.net]

kishwe...@banktandd.com

Aug 28, 2020, 6:23:13 PM8/28/20
to Christoph Derndorfer, Pablo Flores, Adam Holt, Tony Anderson, Unleash Kids!, Rudolf...@mwgroup.net

I am so glad to hear from so many from the group. I thought I had dropped off the list as I did not see any email for ages now. Glad everyone is well and coping. It would be nice if we find a way to stay in touch.

Here is my news for Pakistan. Last year we imported nearly 6000 XO4 Touch laptops donated by One Education Australia. These have proved to be life savers for the charity schools in Pakistan during this Pandemic. Our students neither have Internet nor devices, on which they could be taught remotely. So in comes the XO4, for those using sugar OS, we loaded grade wise material created by Tony Anderson on their laptops, and used this to help provide educational instructions to these kids at home. These schools had to learn to let go of the laptops and allow the children to use them at home in their own environment, the way Negroponte had originally envisioned.

Other organisations used the android OS to load their own learning material. A great example was from Deaf Reach, a school catering to underprivileged deaf kids. Attached are some of the videos they shared with me today. You don't need to understand the language as they say picture says it all.

Enjoy, this is all your hard work volunteers.

Tony & All -

Great to hear you are OK. Apologies for having started a world wide search for you. You are very welcome here in November, if travel is allowed. We aren’t travelling anywhere soon.

don't know if that is still appropriate.

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-28 at 05.25.30.jpeg
WhatsApp Video 2020-08-28 at 05.22.14.mp4

T.K. Kang

Aug 28, 2020, 7:54:22 PM8/28/20
to Kishwer.Aziz, Christoph Derndorfer, Pablo Flores, Adam Holt, Tony Anderson, Unleash Kids!, Rudolf...@mwgroup.net
Excellent update and great work!
Looks like the XO are here to stay for sometime with different OS . . Sugar or Android.

Perhaps we can try to see if we could get Puppy/Fatdog Linux with modern browsers running on them also, I tried the 2013 FatDog on XO4 and it work well.
Just that the browsers are too old for SSL connection, etc.

Can we get people interested to modernise the browser and OS for the XO to supplement what we have today?

Good weekend and stay safe.