Flight Announcement - Saturday September 24th 0900-1200

Max Dymond

Sep 21, 2022, 10:23:34 AM9/21/22
to UKHAS
Hi all,

I'm aiming for my first flight on Saturday; details below:
  • Flying from Elsworth
  • Flight window between 0900 and 1200
    • The predictor is all over the place at the moment but hopefully this gives me a bit of leeway.
  • LoRa from piinthesky
    • Frequency 434.250
    • Mode 1 (SSDV)
    • UKHAS format
    • Callsign WLIGHT
Aiming for ~35000m, chasing on my own! Will try and be on IRC where possible.

Thanks,
Max

Kevin Walton

Sep 23, 2022, 7:24:18 AM9/23/22
to uk...@googlegroups.com, Max Dymond
I'm not at home tomorrow but setup to listen on 434.250 Mode 1 ready. Good luck!

Cheers
Kev
--
Sent from my Android device. Please excuse my brevity.

Max Dymond

Sep 23, 2022, 2:06:03 PM9/23/22
to UKHAS
Unfortunately bad news - the Notice to Aviators was not processed so no flight is going ahead tomorrow. Trying to work out a sensible reschedule now.

That predicted flight path was just too perfect 🤣

Steve

Sep 23, 2022, 2:23:47 PM9/23/22
to uk...@googlegroups.com

Mostly my fault I'm afraid - I put the wrong date on the NOTAM request - and by the time it was sorted it was less than 24hours to the launch window.  Also new ARops being picky IMO.

    Steve

Max Dymond

Sep 27, 2022, 4:41:32 AM9/27/22
to UKHAS
The flight has been rescheduled to Thursday 29th 0900-1200 (NOTAM in place!); hoping for a good flight path!

Max Dymond

Sep 29, 2022, 10:00:12 AM9/29/22
to UKHAS
Flight was successful! I'll write a more in-depth update later once I've had chance to take the payload apart. I have a feeling I was very lucky 😅

Thanks so much to everyone who's helped with this project, especially Steve, without whom I'm not sure this would have happened!

20220929_123420.jpg

Max Dymond

Oct 18, 2022, 6:24:31 AM10/18/22
to UKHAS
I promised I'd write an update, which is now very overdue!

AFAICT the flight went very well and tracked very close to the predicted flightpath. Max altitude according to telemetry.txt was 35932m. On burst the payload came down a bit faster than expected, which put the landing zone in countryside (better than Welwyn Garden City!). On impact the action camera disconnected the power supply from the Pi, which meant the piezo buzzer (which was definitely working!) stopped sounding. Thankfully the package was exactly where the predictor said it would be, so all I had to do was walk into a field a little bit.

Got some good video for YouTube (https://youtu.be/WENxP0hxrN4) and some lovely shots (which I have to post separately I think)

Already thinking about how to optimise the next flight (if I do one!)

 10_52_49.JPG

Max Dymond

Oct 18, 2022, 6:25:57 AM10/18/22
to UKHAS