Camera direction

Sean Fitzgibbon

Jul 11, 2022, 5:39:31 AM7/11/22
to UKHAS
Hi All

Just wondering, when you construct your payload, do you prefer the camera to point sideways to the horizon or down toward the ground?

Cheers, Sean

Phil Cox

Jul 11, 2022, 5:43:23 AM7/11/22
to uk...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sean,

I think the view towards the horizon is more interesting and shows the ground too. I have had cameras pointing down and it gives a good sense of rate of decent when you land but if you only have one camera, I think you’d get better value with an outward looking one.

Hope that helps.

Phil

Sean Fitzgibbon

Jul 11, 2022, 5:44:58 AM7/11/22
to uk...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Phil, that does help.  I was leaning toward the horizon and am now convinced :)

Phil Cox

Jul 11, 2022, 5:45:58 AM7/11/22
to uk...@googlegroups.com

No worries, good luck with the build.

:)

David Akerman

Jul 11, 2022, 5:49:11 AM7/11/22
to UKHAS
Also, aiming it approx 10 degrees below horizontal will give you a bit more ground (on average) and a bit less blackness.

Sean Fitzgibbon

Jul 11, 2022, 6:16:12 AM7/11/22
to UKHAS
Thanks, although now you may be overestimating my construction ability ;)